*Spoilers* Did anyone watch TUFS19E6?

Ishaq

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So this Stephens guy is a wrestler. He gets Zapata's back literally for 12 minutes of the 15 minute fight.

His Jiu Jitsu is really poor seeing that he had dozens of opportunities to get the RNC but could not capitalize. All the while he's on Zapata's back, Zapata catches him with elbows, and punches and opens up a cut on the back of the Stephen's head.

Dana White is running his mouth about how Stephens didn't do any damage, and all he did was try and smother him. He called Stephens a blanket.

I hate guys who don't go for the finish, especially wrestlers, but even taking into account the guys poor ability to capitalise on the back position, he was robbed.

It seems grapplers are unwelcome in the UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/episode-no-6-recap-the-ultimate-fighter-19-team-edgar-vs-team-penn

Last edited:
So this Stephens guy is a wrestler. He gets Zapata's back literally for 12 minutes of the 15 minute fight.

Uh, that's literally what Stephens said, but it was a big exaggeration. He didn't even have back control for half that amount of time. It was about 5 and a half minutes, with most of it being in the 2nd round, which all of the judges gave to Stephens.

Uh, that's literally what Stephens said, but it was a big exaggeration. He didn't even have back control for half that amount of time. It was about 5 and a half minutes, with most of it being in the 2nd round, which all of the judges gave to Stephens.

He had back control for a lot longer than 5 minutes. Atleast 10.

I guess the real question that should be asked here is WHO GIVES A SHIT?

He had back control for a lot longer than 5 minutes. Atleast 10.

No, no he didn't. I watched it and took note of it. Back control for 1:30 in the first, 2:50 in the second, and 1:10 in the third. There were some parts where he partially had his back, but not much control, which allowed Zapata to get back up.

His Jiu Jitsu is really poor seeing that he had dozens of opportunities to get the RNC but could not capitalize. All the while he's on Zapata's back, Zapata catches him with elbows, and punches and opens up a cut on the back of the Stephen's head.

Dana White is running his mouth about how Stephens didn't do any damage, and all he did was try and smother him. He called Stephens a blanket.

I hate guys who don't go for the finish, especially wrestlers, but even taking into account the guys poor ability to capitalise on the back position, he was robbed.

It seems grapplers are unwelcome in the UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/episode-no-6-recap-the-ultimate-fighter-19-team-edgar-vs-team-penn

Why didn't this wrestler guy just flatten out his opponent and GNP him into oblivion? That would've resulted in a TKO win with no doubts.

Obviously, he couldn't do that and got busted open instead, proving he was indeed the inferior fighter.

Grapplers are still welcome in the UFC, it just seems Dana wants to encourage more aggression, more finishes, and more intelligent fighting.

It was a crazy fight to score!!! Im a licensed judge and it seems more and more that the judging is slipping to the side of damage > control.

It was a crazy fight to score!!! Im a licensed judge and it seems more and more that the judging is slipping to the side of damage > control.

I guess it does beg the question though:

How much control are you really in if your opponent manages to out-damage you ?

Much of the damage was done by illegal elbows. Also, some people show damage much worse than others, thats a very poor way to score a fight.
The wrestler controlled the fight, got all the takedowns, then finished out the last round making real progress with some GNP. He did make a mistake by waiting till the end to open up with the GNP, he was waiting so in case he lost position no time would be left for the opponent to mount an offensive. Still, he won that fight easily. If he had thrown the same illegal elbows from the back he could have done more damage. Granted, the last elbow that garnered the point loss did not appear to be illegal, but a LOT of the others that he was warned for were definately illegal.

That wrestler was shit at jiu jitsu. He should have closed the fight.

He did get robbed, but only himself to blame.

And well damn it should.
Should it? How about an actual change in the judging criteria, or at least a clarification, rather than just additional levels of arbitrariness?

I'm not a fan of unpredictable judging, even when I want scoring to work differently. Fighters need to know what game they are playing.

Back