Spinning backfist after missed low kick

randy watkins

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When you miss with the right or left low kick am i right in saying that it should be followed by a spinning backfist to cover your mistake.Let me know what you think

definitely. you could also follow up with an elbow.

bas rutten vs. frank shamrock!

exactly what you said!

Yep just dug that fight. Forgot i had it. man did you hear that slap..NICE

yea must of hurt like hell, considering they had no gloves on.

Not a very high % technique though. That's why it's so awesome when someone connects with it...

I always do the spinning back fist, or throw a low spinning hook kick with the opposite leg if I miss a low roundhouse...keeps guys from charging in with a straight right if you miss the kick

It's a move that's going to work well if your opponent isn't expecting it, but if they're expecting it it's not a move that's hard to counter

The thing about something like that is people will practice the move and do it whenever they miss a low kick or the like. I've seen plenty of examples of people throwing a high kick, mid kick and low kick and following it up with some prepackaged spinning something or other move. You can always tell they've practiced the combo and it almost always hits air. The thing about the Rutten-Shamrock backhand is Rutten saw that he was coming in for a takedown after he missed the kick so he smacked the teeth out of his mouth. The moral of the story? Be able to attack from any position and throw a blow when the opportunity presents itself, not when you plan for it to happen.

CowboyPete said:
Be able to attack from any position and throw a blow when the opportunity presents itself, not when you plan for it to happen.

this is some sound advice right here.

CowboyPete said:
The thing about something like that is people will practice the move and do it whenever they miss a low kick or the like. I've seen plenty of examples of people throwing a high kick, mid kick and low kick and following it up with some prepackaged spinning something or other move. You can always tell they've practiced the combo and it almost always hits air. The thing about the Rutten-Shamrock backhand is Rutten saw that he was coming in for a takedown after he missed the kick so he smacked the teeth out of his mouth. The moral of the story? Be able to attack from any position and throw a blow when the opportunity presents itself, not when you plan for it to happen.

Bas Rutten was a smart fighter, everything he did was with the intentention to stop a fight as quick as he can !!!

Very smart move didn't really think about it myself.

Carter Williams had a nice KO in K-1 where he threw a roundhouse kick, missed, spun around, and seeing that his opponent was ducking (thinking the backfist was coming), followed up with a roundhouse to the head. So basically, roundhouse, spin, roundhouse with the same leg. Or you could go Shogun with it and make it a jump roundhouse.

Yeah you can follow up with a spinning backfist, a spinning back kick, or whatever. They should be used how alcohol should be used though. IN MODERATION:wink:

If you mis with the low kick combo it into a side kick with teh same leg.

Didn't Yves Edwards KO someone with the missed roundhouse-backfist combo? Beautiful knockout.

stewy37 said:
Didn't Yves Edwards KO someone with the missed roundhouse-backfist combo? Beautiful knockout.

Not quite, they were sperating from a clinch where Yves more or less had his back. As Thompson was moving moving away with his back to Yves he threw a spinning backfist while Yves threw his jump roundhouse that ko'd the punk.

Hmm. That's not the fight I'm thinking of (great knockout though). Maybe it was a different fighter, but the one I'm thinking of had a low roundhouse miss. When his opponent moved in he got caught on the button with the forearm of a spinning backfist. I think it's on Ultimate Knockouts 1 or 2, which I don't have access to right now. Maybe someone else knows what fight I'm thinking of?

stewy37 said:
Hmm. That's not the fight I'm thinking of (great knockout though). Maybe it was a different fighter, but the one I'm thinking of had a low roundhouse miss. When his opponent moved in he got caught on the button with the forearm of a spinning backfist. I think it's on Ultimate Knockouts 1 or 2, which I don't have access to right now. Maybe someone else knows what fight I'm thinking of?

Your probably thinking of Shonie Carter when he ko'd Matt Serra.

Back