Spielbergs most forgettable movie

Honestly I felt that was the best standard action blockbuster he'd done in ages, maybe since the early 90's, maybe not a classic and yes I can see how the concept could have had more depth but a fun action adventure without any serious flaws.

Honestly I'v always felt "serious Spielberg" was held back from producing real classics by being a bit too safe, the films(besides perhaps Munich) fall into clichés a bit too easy. You end up with lots of films with great setups but patchy payoffs like Private Ryan, War of the Worlds, A.I., Minority Report, etc.

I couldn't take it. It was one thing to have a ton of cultural references in the set design and whatnot, but the dialogue was literally talking about pop culture references rather than making references. Much of the dialogue was just a list of references... It wore me out.

I don't think he played it that safe with Schindler's List. Setting aside the content, just going black and white was pretty ballsy.

I couldn't take it. It was one thing to have a ton of cultural references in the set design and whatnot, but the dialogue was literally talking about pop culture references rather than making references. Much of the dialogue was just a list of references... It wore me out.
I would say it was somewhat self aware there, the iRok character most obviously and his cultural referencing played for laughs. Again wouldn't say it was brilliant but I think a well made action adventure outside of a franchise is pretty rare these days. For all the references as well I would say it actually ended up being more of a standard heroes journey which you could argue we see less of these days as well.
I don't think he played it that safe with Schindler's List. Setting aside the content, just going black and white was pretty ballsy.

You could take Kubrick's view that the overall nature of the film is a bit safe, turning the holocaust into a heroic rather than tragic film.

His best "serious" film for me that doesn't take any cheap ways out.
I believe the airport ending scene was very dramatized as oppose to the actual exfil but other than that I thought it was fanatic, Daniel Craig put in a perfect performance

I believe the airport ending scene was very dramatized as oppose to the actual exfil but other than that I thought it was fanatic, Daniel Craig put in a perfect performance

I mean it does play up the drama but it doesn't go for any kind of feel good ending with obvious good/evil.

The BFG
Ready Player One
Always
The Post
was solid, but it was very formulaic too.

Kingdom of the crystal skull is so bad that it actually turned memorable.

I’ve liked pretty much every one of his movies, the last Indiana Jones would probably have been less offensive if it hadn’t used that franchise. Plug Nicholas Cage and the National Treasure cast into that story (modified for timeline a bit) and it’s probably a cult favorite.

I haven’t seen War Horse, The BFG or TinTin, but figure they’re all competently made movies.

Lincoln was by far his worst film.
That movie was boring as shit!

Of the movies that will end up a trivia question relating to Spielberg's films, I'd go with people having a hard time remembering or identifying "The BFG" and "Ready Player One" in the future.

Also, "War Horse".

The BFG
Ready Player One
Always
The Post
was solid, but it was very formulaic too.

Kingdom of the crystal skull is so bad that it actually turned memorable.

Yeah Kingdom will be remembered because its Indiana Jones

Okay so I have his most forgettable movies now as

Always
The Terminal
Munich
Bridge of Spies
The Post

Edit: Forgot about War Horse

the terminal was good you pastel patterned man

Nobody remembers it though. Go up to anybody on the street and say "Do you like The Terminal" they wont have any idea what you're talking about.

To go a bit OT one comparison I'v not seen much of in the past would be "Serious" Spielberg vs latter Ridley Scott, say post millennium work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brendan The Hybrid Schaub
Back