Speed or Accuracy on Bas Rutten CD?

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
My boxing instructor often has us listening to this Bas Rutten CD, where he calls out a type of punch and you have to execute it. It is like a very hard "Simon Says" game. :) I'm new to boxing, so I often get confused during my technique and mess up. My instructor thinks it is hilarious! :( The CD seems great for conditioning if you do everything Bas says at the time he says it. However, at the same time I don't want to learn bad habits. So is it better to go for quick speed when executing the punches or accuracte executing their technique?

(P.S. I'd ask in the "Ask the Fighters" forum, but I can't post there yet.)

The purpose of the CD is to get tired, not to practice technique. If you have the technique, use it. But don't worry about technique TOO much.

Do the all around fighting workout and you will be too tired to stand up. That thing is brutal!

You can work on technique first. Once you get the move executed correctly then you can begin to speed it up. Get the best of both.

Wolverine
///

This is just my opinion but I would say go for speed since it is supposed to be a workout, and eventually you will get used to proper form ect. and then you can use both when you learn them. There's no point in practicing form that you may not know or that your not used to yet.

I would go for technique over speed as you don't want to develop bad habits.

Timbaland said:
I would go for technique over speed as you don't want to develop bad habits.

Agreed. Jump over some strikes or combos when it get to fast. And as Bas himself says; "do everything with power!":)

Yep, just what the last two people said. Go for technique. Skip some combos if you need to. After you develop your technique, keep speeding it up. It won't be long before you're hitting all of the combos with proper form.

Back