speed bag

A

anvar

I know this is the strength and power discussion, however, i want an answer from a Strength and Condition point of view.

How do you guys feel about the boxing speed bag?

What about it? I think its better for coordination and rhythm rather than speed, but I really haven't had any formal boxing training...just used it here and there when I've had the chance.

Its good for timing, and punching in the same spot over and over

don't you think you could use focus mitts for that, because it's not even a real fighting movment?

anvar said:
I know this is the strength and power discussion, however, i want an answer from a Strength and Condition point of view.

How do you guys feel about the boxing speed bag?

In terms of deriving a benefit from speed bags related to speed and strength; there are far more efficient methods for developing these qualities.

It develops endurance, coordination, rhythm, and yes, a bit of speed.

Boxing coaches aren't stupid.

boxing coaches are not stupid, however, they are stuck in tradition...

boxing coaches are not stupid, however, they are stuck in tradition...

Some are and I have experience with that. I have no doubt my coach knows how to fight and he knows the sport but his idea of training outside of the boxing gym is running 10 miles a day, period. His mentality is that it worked 30 years ago so it must work now :redface:

I don't think speed bags are good for much. Even when I'm going fast at it the only thing that I feel is burning in my shoulders. I don't think it builds any power or endurance to a very high degree. I think its best attribute is probably rotator cuff conditioning.

Monger said:
Some are and I have experience with that. I have no doubt my coach knows how to fight and he knows the sport but his idea of training outside of the boxing gym is running 10 miles a day, period. His mentality is that it worked 30 years ago so it must work now :redface:

I don't think speed bags are good for much. Even when I'm going fast at it the only thing that I feel is burning in my shoulders. I don't think it builds any power or endurance to a very high degree. I think its best attribute is probably rotator cuff conditioning.

Let us not forget the mental aspect of speed bag training.

I trained at a gym once where there wasn't even one speed bag. The coach who ran the place thought they were useless so he didn't bother bringing any in. I remember my first day looking around trying to find one!

My brother is trained by Goody Petronelli (trainer of Marvin Hagler and other world champs) and does not advocate their use.

As far as I'm concerned, they are a waste of time given that every positive aspect they provide is better addressed through multiple other methods.

ENTROPY,

Just a question for you. I read a lot of your posts here and you seem to really know your shit. Was I correct in saying that speed bag work is good for rotator cuff conditioning? I'm just asking because I had surgery 7 weeks ago for that and I had planned on using a speed bag for some rehab (of course I'm using other exercises as well with a Physical therapist). But I agree that outside of this a speed bag is not an efficeint method for anything.

I love mine I've been able to improve my accuracy and speed of punches greatly. I used to just be a power puncher now I'm throwing powerful quick combo's

Monger said:
ENTROPY,

Just a question for you. I read a lot of your posts here and you seem to really know your shit. Was I correct in saying that speed bag work is good for rotator cuff conditioning? I'm just asking because I had surgery 7 weeks ago for that and I had planned on using a speed bag for some rehab (of course I'm using other exercises as well with a Physical therapist). But I agree that outside of this a speed bag is not an efficeint method for anything.

Yes, their is a degree of internal rotation of the humerus exhibited during speed bag work, which has a degree of value.

Even so, their are more specific movements that address the need more efficiently than the speed bag.

So the consensus is hitting the speed bag is great for improving your ability to...hit the speed bag?

ENTROPY said:
Yes, their is a degree of internal rotation of the humerus exhibited during speed bag work, which has a degree of value.

Even so, their are more specific movements that address the need more efficiently than the speed bag.

What are they?

Chad Hamilton said:
Tradition is good.
Tradition can be good SOMETIMES.........obviously not in the situation he described. You like MMA fighting right? Lets say Ken Shamrock had early success in MMA, does that mean you should not advance it because it worked in the first few UFC's? I'm sure you will say ofcourse not, and I think that is the kind of situation refered to above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anddrew
Back