Specific cardio question.

Q mystic

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I just got finished 2 wks of long light jogging (1 hr). Now today I started 35 minutes of jogging(running) at maximum heart rate.(around 180-190 bpm). I plan this for about 3 wks. I know that I will have to begin intervals of sprints later.

Anyway. the question is, will 35 min of max HR help my cardio base for grappling? Because it is over my 'cardio range'? It is about 90 to 100 percent max hr for me. I was told that 75 percent was best for cardio. Thanks.

aerobic work will help you build your anerobic stamina so yes too a point

if you are running, and your heart rate is 190bpm...how high will it go if you sprint? I can't see anyone running that hard for 35 minutes straight without their heart exploding!!

Yeah at 90 to 100% effort you should be gassing at some point before 35 minutes unless your some kind of monster. People do 90% effort on interval training for like 30 seconds.

Of course 90% theoretical heart rate and 90% effort aren't necessarily the same thing. But I'd say, not being an expert or anything...that 90% actual max heart rate and 90% effort aught to be pretty close.

After about the 10 min mark I am at 185 bpm. I can go for about 35 more minutes after that maintaining about 185 bpm but I am pretty out of it by then. Believe me, I am NOT in that good of shape either. So, it must have something do with something else. I am primarily doing it for fitness but also for psychological toughness.

Anyway, because I am out of my aerobic target zone will it still be helping my aerobic base or is it anaerobic after the 75 percent? Thanks.

Carlson said:
Yeah at 90 to 100% effort you should be gassing at some point before 35 minutes unless your some kind of monster. People do 90% effort on interval training for like 30 seconds.

Of course 90% theoretical heart rate and 90% effort aren't necessarily the same thing. But I'd say, not being an expert or anything...that 90% actual max heart rate and 90% effort aught to be pretty close.

No way. I am beat after going full out in a 5 min grappling match but I can go forever at 90-100 percent hr jogging. There has to be a major diff somewhere.

Maybe because I am just getting back into it, it just doesn't take much to get my hr that high?

JACKC said:
aerobic work will help you build your anerobic stamina so yes too a point

Thats funny

I read increasing anaerobic capacity will increase aerobic, but increasing aerobic won't increase anaerobic (beyond like 1%, something so infintessimally small that its not worth it)

Q mystic said:
No way. I am beat after going full out in a 5 min grappling match but I can go forever at 90-100 percent hr jogging. There has to be a major diff somewhere.

Maybe because I am just getting back into it, it just doesn't take much to get my hr that high?

The unfittest people generally have a eillivated heart rate because the heart is weak, so has to work harder to pump the blood around (high bpm) to keep up with the demand, in comparison to a fit person whos stronger heart beats less to do the same work (lower bpm). The way your doing it means if you keep you're heart rate at that range, it will eventually take more and more work to get your heart rate up to that point.

I'd suggest more of a weights orientated cardio program for a grappler. You don't really need a CV system based around your legs, you need one based around the heart supplying blood to the whole body (legs, back, upper body primarily)

Back