sparring for dlh v mayweather-for those who know

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
sparring is very important in preparation for a fight, who do u think oscar should or could bring in to provide the right type of sparring to prepare him for mayweather; obv pbf is an athletic marvel and boxing virtuoso, so oscar needs guys w/that combination and preferably world class exp.

any suggestions or thoughts as to who oscar should use-

i say guzman might be good, he has skills phys and tech; has world class exp....Him being smaller assists oscar w/the speed and def workrate, the styles are not so similar. But generally they are.

forbes-poor man's floyd; but still a good look for the style and someone who really gets the nuances

who do u guys think

as for floyd who does he spar w/ does he just do what he does and not bother w/any particular type of sparring partner/etc

Floyd used Baldomir for Hatton.

I guess he should use someone with a good reach and a good jab.

Guzman, Malignaggi- both could be OK sparring for Oscar.

well last time around he had mosley and still couldn't get the job done. i honestly dont think any partner choice is going to dramatically improve his chances.

Mosley is the closest thing to mirror PBF. This time around Oscar needs to just non-stop jabbing and he might take the decision. In their last fight he stopped jabbing from round 6 and on... and thats when PBF won all the rounds without much thinking.

Im pretty sure Mosley just sparred with DLH the one day...kind of a guest appearance as it were. If he could tie up Mosley for the whole training camp, it would be great work for him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Steve Forbes as a principal sparring partner for Oscar. Andre Berto might not be bad either.

it's not going to matter who he uses because in the end, he's gonna get used.

Mayweather will not make the same mistake twice. DLH can tune up his jabs all he wants, but Mayweather will find a way to get the UD or SD.

Mayweather will not make the same mistake twice. DLH can tune up his jabs all he wants, but Mayweather will find a way to get the UD or SD.

Mistake? It's a style flaw, the Philly Shell's weakness at range is jabs to the shoulder and chest. That's Boxing 101. The only correction he can make is to raise his left arm, which he only does at times he comes forward or is aggressive, and against a much bigger guy in DLH, he won't risk that because DLH will hit back where a guy like Corrales didn't.

What's Floyd going to do different? He's done the same shit all his career, just no one's been good enough to beat it save for Castillo once, and even that's arguable.

i thought they were supposed to spar with each other in september.

Mistake? It's a style flaw, the Philly Shell's weakness at range is jabs to the shoulder and chest. That's Boxing 101. The only correction he can make is to raise his left arm, which he only does at times he comes forward or is aggressive, and against a much bigger guy in DLH, he won't risk that because DLH will hit back where a guy like Corrales didn't.

What's Floyd going to do different? He's done the same shit all his career, just no one's been good enough to beat it save for Castillo once, and even that's arguable.

i am not tryin to sound like an ass, but i thought this was common knowledge; what u stated was the very same reason i thought oscar would win, that he would be extra aggressive and stick that jab onto pbf. An for what the fiirst 3-4 rounds he did and he was getting in floyd's *ss; then he faded or just stopped doing it and loss the fight from that point on.

i think sr will make oscar use that jab and that can very well be the diff; i know pbf is good, but we all know what he is gonna do, its just a matter of whether oscar has enough physically left to apply the gameplan necessary to solve the ridle

its not like floyd only has the philly shell

against judah, the shell got him wrecked, floyd adjusted, put on earmuffs and proceeded to beat on judah

floyd is too smart, i think dlh loses convincingly without taking too much damage this time

Floyd can fight any godamn way he wants to AND succeed with it. There's not another fighter in the world who can say that.

Floyd used Baldomir for Hatton.

I guess he should use someone with a good reach and a good jab.

Guzman, Malignaggi- both could be OK sparring for Oscar.

Great choice by Floyd for Hatton.

Oscar had Mosley last time and still lost. This fight has more to do with what kind of shape DLH is going to come in.

its not like floyd only has the philly shell

against judah, the shell got him wrecked, floyd adjusted, put on earmuffs and proceeded to beat on judah

floyd is too smart, i think dlh loses convincingly without taking too much damage this time

Judah's a completely different Fighter than Oscar, though the one thing I'd say they do have in-common is the fading thing.

I don't think what worked against Judah in the late rounds would work against Oscar, despite the ability to do it. Floyd stuck to a pattern against Oscar the first time, one he's used time and time again, I agree Oscar can't beat it now, but not because Floyd will do something completely different this time.

Floyd can fight any godamn way he wants to AND succeed with it. There's not another fighter in the world who can say that.

Yeah, he can sure switch Southpaw and out-volume Paul Williams at his own game.

You'd be silly to doubt anything about Floyd Mayweather, bro. specially in comparison to a guy of Williams' calibre. The supposed "Floyd Mayweather foil". Hmmm.

Im pretty sure Mosley just sparred with DLH the one day...kind of a guest appearance as it were. If he could tie up Mosley for the whole training camp, it would be great work for him.

no shit, didnt know that, shines a whole new light on the thing.

Like somebody said, Floyd can make adjustments. Against Judah, when his shell wasnt working, he put hands up high and dug into Judahs body. Against Ricky Hatton for the first 7 rounds he fought Hatton up close and personl, roughing him up on the inside. Floyd has the ability to control the pace, and can turn it up at anytime. The most Oscar can hope to do is fight at one consistent pace.

Id love for De La Hoya to win, but Floyd will not let that happen.

You'd be silly to doubt anything about Floyd Mayweather, bro. specially in comparison to a guy of Williams' calibre. The supposed "Floyd Mayweather foil". Hmmm.

It's not about doubt. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't need to switch Southpaw. I have utter confidence in Floyd continuing to do what he does best, and being successful at that. Get it? It's not an implication of incapability, it's resounding confidence in a very sound formula that's worked continuously.

That said, I'm sure you once stated somewhere that Williams isn't a good match-up for Floyd, stylistically speaking.

I think I know why you feel (or seem to feel) differently now, but the point of the joke was that there'd almost never be a need for Floyd to try and fight like Paul does.

Back