South paw vs orthodox

MMAfan9000

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys whats up I just started training in boxing and im working on the basics so far, but i was wondering what you guys think of south paws.I sparred this guy the other day and he switched to S.P and it threw me off a little bit. I wanna learn to box S.P . I did a little shadow boxing in S.P stance and it felt ok. But would that be bad learning to train both of them. Like I said I just wanna learn S.P and keep it in my arsenal.

Also I would like to know some good combos. Not 1-2-3's something a little bit more advanced and what are some good strength training exercises. I have been working on my endurance lately. Im 18 210 lbs,5'11 and have been doing it the last month or so and im kinda flying solo, but i have a couple guys i work with that help me out that are pretty good, Im just looking for all the advice I can get. It would be appreciated.Thanks.

If you're right handed, stick with orthodox for the time being, especially if you're new. Most people get tempted to switch at first because they are more comfortable using their right hand, so want to use it more often with the jab.

fight orthodox i see ton's of beginners trying to switch or go southpaw and it's painful to watch because they have nothing on thier rear hand punch and there basically one handed fighters.
You will lose two handed exchange's, and fight bad on the inside. few people pull this off well. I know people will bring up winky wright, michael moorer, and people who have made it work but in my expierence it's rare that guys can be as effective.

Being ambidextrous is so overrated. Let me rephrase that, being ambidextrous can be a good thing, but it takes a lot of dedication and commitment, something most people aren't cut out for.

It's better to be good fighting one way, than to be equally shitty with both sides.

As odd as it sounds, when I did TMA you had to learn everything from both sides. So now when I kickbox, I feel comfortbale on both sides and it does throw off my partners. Personally I think of it as an advantage, tho I know many who shun that because then your "weak" side is exposed.

Yeah I think you guys are right but i still wanna learn how to box S.P. just to get a feel for it. but i will stick to my basics and do what I do best. So how about then combos?

Yeah I think you guys are right but i still wanna learn how to box S.P. just to get a feel for it. but i will stick to my basics and do what I do best. So how about then combos?

Join a gym, keep it basic.

How about learn how to box orthodox to just get a feel for it before you start adding tricks?

Combo's are pretty much infinite. Just start putting stuff together. Take your normal 1-2-3 combo and add a second 3 so you can go to the head then the body. Work on your jab and then start hooking off it, upstairs and downstairs. We could throw out all sorts of numbers to you and they would all be good.

LOL. alright.. so you came on here asking for advice on whether you should switch to a lefty stance and you got like 10 nays. Now you say you still want learn to do it so you'd have it in your arsenal. At that point it'd be like having a gun without bullets. You could pull it out and flash it at your opponent, he might be hesitant in the beginning but if he bites and he finds out its not loaded, you're going to be in a world of shit. We're just trying to save you from that.

Besides, being a southpaw is overrated anyways, unless you like eating straight rights all day to the dome.

But if its really not going to change your mind, which i know it probablly isnt (dont blame you). Better start learning to circle to your right and turning that sissy left hand of yours into a man punch. Cause if your opponent manages to slip past your seemingly menacing right jab. you're fuxed.

btw i heard a combo thats a real orthodox killer is the 1-2-3-4-1-1-2-1-5-7-9-10-1-1-1-15! If you can manage that on the heavy bag. You may be able to pull off the win. Even the knockout!

I have a similar situation......i do/teach martial arts (american freestyle) and im so used to sparring with my right side in front that traing my stand up has been somewhat difficult.

I've done regular for the last year...i still get tempted to switch (i however do have power in both hands)

well thanks you guys for the advice. I just wanna be able to switch it up whenever i want to. Thats all. I have joined a gym and the guys down there tell me my orthodox style is good and it will get better as time goes on. so who all has boxing experience. I appreciate all your guys post to:) Im going to my gym and im gonna work S.P on the heavy bag tonight. I will let you guys know how it goes!!!

A lot of beginners think they need to learn both stances but as you get better you'll realize its worthless. I've seen beginners who switch stances and they don't even know how use switch hitting to their advantage. Very few high level boxers are switch hitters. The only two I can think of are Miguel Cotto and Junior Witter. You'll do fine with one stance.

fight orthodox i see ton's of beginners trying to switch or go southpaw and it's painful to watch because they have nothing on thier rear hand punch and there basically one handed fighters.
You will lose two handed exchange's, and fight bad on the inside. few people pull this off well. I know people will bring up winky wright, michael moorer, and people who have made it work but in my expierence it's rare that guys can be as effective.

lol Winkys a coverted southpaw?

So it is pretty tough to learn both styles? I did some bag work using S.P stance, the jab was a little weird, slower than when im in orthodox, but the left came like it was natural and had power behind it. then I switch back to ortodox. I cant really compare them just that im more experienced in orthodox. But I did like the sp stance.

So who in here posting can switch it to s.p to orthodox with out it throwing them off? If so how long did this take you to master and did it come natural or did you have to work your ass off.

I don't think you get it. People are telling you that there's no point in it. And that even the majority of the best boxers don't watch back and forth.

It kills me when people come into forums and ask for advice about if/how they should do something and then when people say that the way you're doing it is wrong or not worth it, they ignore the advice because it's not what they wanted to hear. But I guess that's what comes along with being 18.

Let me ask you this, what do you hope to accomplish by being able to switch?

well thanks for your input redefined. I just wanna be able to throw my opponents off by being able to switch. because i know boxing a s.p is tricky , but I'm new at this and from what i have been reading and hearing it is best to just stick with one style. I just think it would be cool to be a switch fighter if you have the capability of doing it. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I just wanna learn all I can.:)

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. I just wanna learn all I can.:)

I completely understand, and I am a beginner myself, and actually had similar thoughts. "Oh I should get comfortable throwing SP" but after reading around I came to realize that focusing on throwing orthodox before i do anything else...I mean no one wants to be the guy who jumps to SP and looks like a fool when they can't throw all that well from orthodox...

i personally felt more comfortable southpaw when i first started

then i corrected myself and learned everything orthodox
which in the long run helped me SOOOO much

i thing ive noticed
people from grappling backgrounds with little standup training
prefer southpaw because of takedowns and constantly having it forward

what i figured out quickly
is you can have your right foot forward in a clinch and still be comfortable
this way there is no leeway on the time it takes to switch

Moral of the story
if you have a stronger right hand
fighting orthodox not only will make your left faster
but gives your right hand more opportunity so to speak

then after all that you have the ability to switch

i occaisionally switch to southpaw and throw a right hook
ie: alverez vs. hansen

so toy with southpaw
dont base your whole style around it
see what works for you

thats what sparring is for

hope my experience transpires for someone else

I know like one person who is comfortable with both and he transitions between the two seemlessly. The thing is, he's had over 9 years of Muay Thai and Boxing experience. IMO, he's a good and rare example of the kind of person who has the discipline and determination to learn and use both stances.

Every other person I've known who claims to be ambidextrous is a fucking joke, they'll throw left jabs from orthodox, "transition to southpaw", and they'll only fire right jabs from there. I tool stupid motherfuckers like that. I'll blast their lead leg endlessly with left kicks, when they're "fighting" southpaw and they're limping home shortly after.

Fighting ambidextrous is so overrated, but if you're so dead-set on attempting to learn it, then all I can say is, Requiscat in Pacem.

Back