South paw advantage?

I think the hardest thing about fighting a southpaw is that it is awkward, like many of you said. Statistically there are far more right handed fighters, hence, when fighting a southpaw it feels a little strange unless your used to sparing with one. I seem to have good luck using a low-leg switch kick to set up combos against southpaws........ worked for me!

means their livers nice and open for a right hook.

Yeah seems people are agreeing on its just awkward because we usualy spar/train right handed people.

Yeah i was refering to boxing/KB/MT not really mma as i could see that not making a huge diffrence unless it was 2 strickly strikers.

The question came up when i was watching a boxing show last night and they were showing fight highlighs and the analyst said "so and so" lost to the "dreaded" southpaw fighter, and i just questioned, well why is a southpaw dreaded i thought it would be equaly uncomfortable for both fighters.

Seems like most people say after a round of sparing or a bit of training people can get comfortable fighting a southpaw.

I realize this question changes for the level of fighting but i just wanted to see what how people felt about it.

it depends if they are real lefty or not. i dunno if its the case with you guys but i seen some southpaw fighters who aren't naturally left handed. they have a quick jab but no power with their rear hand.

training to fight orthadox & southpaw seems to work for me, its funny seein your opponent get confused when to start reg. then switch to southpaw

Yeah seems people are agreeing on its just awkward because we usualy spar/train right handed people.

Thats the 'Southpaw Advantage' really..Its not voodoo or rocket science. Everyone seems to think southpaw are magical boxing elves who have a mysterious advantage over orthodox boxers. And while i'll admit, we are pretty cool, Its nothing big. Spar southpaws and once you get used to it. poof. no more advantage.

But i understand they're not abundant in every place so i guess its all your luck..

Sparred with a southpaw last night fuckin broke my will

Yeah i was refering to boxing/KB/MT not really mma as i could see that not making a huge diffrence unless it was 2 strickly strikers.

The question came up when i was watching a boxing show last night and they were showing fight highlighs and the analyst said "so and so" lost to the "dreaded" southpaw fighter, and i just questioned, well why is a southpaw dreaded i thought it would be equaly uncomfortable for both fighters.

Seems like most people say after a round of sparing or a bit of training people can get comfortable fighting a southpaw.

I realize this question changes for the level of fighting but i just wanted to see what how people felt about it.

I think the most common mistake made against a southpaw is that an orthodox fighter who is used to fighting/training/sparing other orthodox fighter has a tendency to cirlce, angle and move to their opponents weak side (jab hand). When you do this same movement against a southpaw your stepping right into their power!

I have to disagree with one little part of that...it's not EQUALLY uncomfortable...MOST people are orthodox. That's where the advantage comes in, if you are a southpaw, pretty much everyone you train with is orthodox, so you're used to it. If you're orthodox and everyone else you train with is orthodox, you're thrown off by a southpaw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back