South paw advantage?

T.J.T

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
How is having a right side forward an advantage? Is there something thats actualy easier or better they can do, or is it just because we usualy train vs people with left side forward so its just akward because its diffrent? I havent trained long enough to tell a diffrence other then holding pads for someone i can find it awkard, but wouldnt it be the same when a righty and lefty fight for both sides equaly awkard?

The only advantage i see is right handed people are more common so the lefty i guess could make them feel awkard?

Strange question i know...

Depends on the Sport.

Boxing? Usually.

MMA? Not really if you're in with a good grappler.

I can definitely see the advantage in standup fighting where if you're a southpaw and you train southpaw against people that train orthodox, you're used to the awkwardness whereas someone who fights orthodox that always trains with other orthodox fighters might be thrown off and feel awkward against a southpaw. But this is just in pure striking, I agree with King Kabuki on it not mattering in the grappling game.

Ima southie and i get stumped whenever i face another southpaw. I still confuse myself thinking about it.

i sparred with a southpaw for the first time a couple of weeks ago - definitely awkward

In muay thai, MMA it means my power kick is nicely lined up with their liver!

When I briefly switch to southpaw from time to time I have an easy time landing my left cross. I imagine this is due to the angles when it's a lefty vs. righty, or is my left cross just that awesome?

As a lefty I've noticed that it's pretty easy to hit a right hander. My training partners say it's the angles and the timing that throws them off. They aren't use to seeing a right jab be thrown at them. By the end of class they've gotten used to it though.

I think it depends on the guy your fighting mostly. If he/she isn't prepared you can take advantage and control the ring/cage. I personally have different strikes that work better when I'm in southpaw so thats also another advantage.

But if the guy trains w/ southpaws normally then it may not work so well.

It all depends on experience of person you are fighting or sparring with. Pretty much every person I spar is right handed and every person i've fought has been right handed. However I am a lefty and rarely spar lefties and have never fought one so luckily I havent ran into a fellow southpaw yet in a fight.

It dont matter to me I just fight. I do have a southpaw sparring partner though, and I seem to be able to counter his jabs and rights to the body with left hooks fairly easily.

It seems when i spar with righties my left cross always hits him in the nose and i use alot more inside leg kicks

It all depends on experience of person you are fighting or sparring with. Pretty much every person I spar is right handed and every person i've fought has been right handed. However I am a lefty and rarely spar lefties and have never fought one so luckily I havent ran into a fellow southpaw yet in a fight.

Do you spar other southpaws at least? I think its pretty important to get accustomed to it. I've been in with maybe like 2 other southies, and i was bamboozled for the first rounds. The angles for the punches are slightly different and i couldnt decide which way to circle.

I'm a lefty but I was told to learn in an orthodox stance and that I can switch whenever I want but that in the end, I'd have an upper hand if I was comfortable both ways. Some lefties fight orthodox which puts them at an advantage because their stronger hand is put in a position to be used more and come out faster since it's in front. De La Hoya is a good example of a lefty that fights orthodox.

I'm a southpaw and when I sparred with my buddy, he told me it was very awkward.

Well I started back in the day in TMA so you were taught to fight from both sides and swtich it up a lot during sparring. I think the advantage comes from lack of experience most of us have in fighting southpaws.

i have sparred couple of southpaws and the only problem i face is in the first two rounds where for some reason my lead foot always ends up inside of their lead foot causing my footwork to stumble,then i wise up and also that right lead hook they throw really catches me off guard since i tend to keep my left slightly low

Back