Sous Vide

I sear it at the end. The text is based on how long you cook it. The longer and or high temp, the more the connective tissue breaks down. With the sous vide, you can break down the tissue with time and not overcook it if that makes sense.

Sounds awesome. I might be getting myself something for Christmas!! :) - Do you find ziploc bags work fine or do you or most people end up getting a vaccuum sealing machine?

Sounds awesome. I might be getting myself something for Christmas!! :) - Do you find ziploc bags work fine or do you or most people end up getting a vaccuum sealing machine?

Yeah, ziploc bags are made of the same material the vacuum lock bags are. I get enough air out of the bag by pushing it partially underwater and push out the air and closing it up. Go watch a video on youtube and it makes more sense than me describing it. You want as much air out of it as possible so that it is just soaking in its own juices and or marinade.

Yeah, ziploc bags are made of the same material the vacuum lock bags are. I get enough air out of the bag by pushing it partially underwater and push out the air and closing it up. Go watch a video on youtube and it makes more sense than me describing it. You want as much air out of it as possible so that it is just soaking in its own juices and or marinade.

You want air out so the temperature is consistent mainly.

You want air out so the temperature is consistent mainly.

Yeah, but unless you have it filled with a ton of air and floating out of the water, that is a non issue. That is like thinking if you put a soda that is half empty in the fridge that it isn't going to settle down to the temperature of the inside of the fridge. That is why vacuum sealing serves no point other than to try to hold the juices to the meat but Archimedes displacement gets you very near that by itself.

Thanks ! Sounds really good and sounds relatively easy to make and not to screw it up! :)

I just made some French cut rack of lamb with my sous vide.

They were relatively cheap at Sam's Club, and came out fucking fantastic.

Chicken breast comes out great too.

I own two Anova units. This method makes the best fried chicken. SV carrots are utterly amazing.

I don't do steaks in it anymore, as I do a traditional reverse sear (low/slow in oven, then sear) as I think that gives it a much better crust upon searing.

I cut a hole in an old Coleman cooler lid and use that as my container. Sealed the lid with high heat caulk, and you have yourself an inexpensive yet awesome SV container.

Now this is the one that blows me away every time. Sous Vide is sometimes called something the upgrades your cuts of meat. This is so true. I will get like a 3 lb slab of chuck roast for $9. So, chuck roast is a tough cut of meat and that is why it is cheap and often put in stews or roasted. Now, if you sous vide it, you can keep it rare and soften it up. I sous vide it for 27 hours at 135 F and it comes out like prime rib. It is soft, red all through it, and juicy with a strong beef flavor. It is really amazing to able to do this with a cheap cut of beef. Anyways, if you get an instant pot or sous vide device, it is one of the best bang per buck spent things I have bought.

I know some of you think I am overselling this but the whole process makes it so easy to get a chunk of meat cooked exactly right every time. Imagine being able to soften up any cut of meat and keep it rare as well, never overcooking it.

I found this post to ask you a few questions about doing a roast in my instant pot style pressure cooker with sous vide but you really answered most of my questions already with your initial post. I do have a few things still if you don't mind.

I've got a cheap 2.5lb sirloin tip roast seasoned, sealed and just started at 135 for 24 hours. My pot does 24 hours max so I'll probably have to set have to set extra time tomorrow. My family mostly likes medium to well done :( so is 135 high enough and for how long would you suggest? Also consider once done I'll be adding another crust layer and air frying it to finish for approx 15 mins at around 385. Cheers man. Thanks for this post.

I found this post to ask you a few questions about doing a roast in my instant pot style pressure cooker with sous vide but you really answered most of my questions already with your initial post. I do have a few things still if you don't mind.

I've got a cheap 2.5lb sirloin tip roast seasoned, sealed and just started at 135 for 24 hours. My pot does 24 hours max so I'll probably have to set have to set extra time tomorrow. My family mostly likes medium to well done :( so is 135 high enough and for how long would you suggest? Also consider once done I'll be adding another crust layer and air frying it to finish for approx 15 mins at around 385. Cheers man. Thanks for this post.

It worked with chuck roast. I found that under 135, I had to let it run longer before it softened up than 24 hours. It depends on the cut of meat. I did 24 hours on t-bones and it turned the meat into like a roast you could cut with a spoon. It tased alright but I like my steaks not as soft. Go look at recipes online as a go by. Try chuck roast sometime though. It makes you wonder why anyone does anything else with a cheap tough cut of meat. I am not exaggerating that I have had it cone out like prime rib.

I understand the concept, but as some others have pointed out, the process of cooking and the nuances it requires to turn out a good meal is important, meat in a plastic bag just doesn’t sound appealing or appetizing..
That being said I resisted the air fryer for years, now it’s my go to kitchen appliance...so maybe..

I have one and we use them at work a bunch .
I dig it at work because it frees space up and for other prep and can just be set and left alone . Works great for planned dinners and stuff .

Personally I just cant really get into using it at home though esp if im just cooking for myself . It takes too long , so by the time its done ill either have eaten something else or want something different to eat by the time its finished.

Not saying they are bad though , Just doesnt work with my lifestyle or impulsiveness while I'm off the clock as far as food is concerned

I understand the concept, but as some others have pointed out, the process of cooking and the nuances it requires to turn out a good meal is important, meat in a plastic bag just doesn’t sound appealing or appetizing..
That being said I resisted the air fryer for years, now it’s my go to kitchen appliance...so maybe..

Think of it nothing more than cooking at a low temperature that softens up the meat without making it overlooking it. People do sous vide things in mason jars if you are hellbent on staying away from plastic.

Think of it nothing more than cooking at a low temperature that softens up the meat without making it overlooking it. People do sous vide things in mason jars if you are hellbent on staying away from plastic.

Anyone try sous vide fish or shellfish?

Big fish, salmon and tuna. Not insanely flaky. Will it fall apart in the process?

Just make sure the bags are bpa free. But who knows what else is in there.

Just make sure the bags are bpa free. But who knows what else is in there.
That’s one of the reasons I haven’t gotten a sous vide gadget. I might give it a try though. It seems more comparison videos than not prefer this cooking method to grilling or pan frying.

Have a standing rib roast going at 132 for 6 hours today.

And by 6 I mean somewhere between 6 and 8.

I love mine. They are pretty amazing. Takes a little bit of getting used to and some stuff requires finishing (usually denser meats)

It sounds complicated and it made me angry and put me in a bad mood.

I was obsessed with Sous Vide a bunch of stuff for a while. Need to go back to doing it...

Back