Sonnen: 'Shevchenko missed mark by not mentioning Manon Fiorot'

payton

If you know, you know
@Orange
Reaction score
New-Project-1.png

“Can I tell you what one of my least favorite parts (of UFC 306) was? It’s very simple,”

"There was an alternate that flew in and weighed in in case anything happened with the Grasso-Shevchenko fight, Fiorot. At a minimum, it would have been nice if Valentina mentioned her. I feel like it’s clear that Fiorot is next."

"The crowd wasn’t thrilled with this match. If they were to do it again next year, it’s going to come lower and lower."

"I felt for Fiorot. To come over there, get licensed, go through all the medicals, go through the training camp, the weight cut, and there’s no opportunity, which means there’s not a very big check to split up with your team. At a minimum, you could have had a callout. On a human level, to a degree, it bothered me.”

chael’s view has always been that aside from winning the fight, post-fight interviews are the most important part of the fight because that’s when you set up your next fight with a callout. but it sounds like he’s suggesting valentina owes a callout to the alternate. are they friends? why does she owe her anything? that’s ufc’s job to compensate her for her time. if she’s “next,” ufc can just make the fight.

They don't have to. Chael is talking about promotion not job requirements.
That's what I mean though. It always seems a bit odd when people expect a champ to call others out, since they're at the top with the prize everyone else is chasing.

Shit, if the champ has someone in mind for a solid reason fine, but it should be everyone else calling out the champ, not the other way around.

chael's thinking like he's dana white, and that's a good thing. time to get rid of dana. he's taking up space and isn't a help anymore.

She didn't have time to mention Fiorot, had to keep the interview brief and on point.

part of the job is to give people a reason to be invested.. though in this case i don't know how much it would help .
i watch ufc all the time and i barely know who fiorot is other than shes french

It’s not the champs job to callout anyone

Fiorot is the one that needs to be relevant and make ppl remember her

Fiorot super dangerous to taking that belt - but why would the champ call out the most serious threat

Chaels wrong on this one …

Using the moment where the most possible eyes are on you to hype up your next fight

That's what I mean though. It always seems a bit odd when people expect a champ to call others out, since they're at the top with the prize everyone else is chasing.

Shit, if the champ has someone in mind for a solid reason fine, but it should be everyone else calling out the champ, not the other way around.

Back