Sonnen acclaimed at TUF3 finale

Yeah, Nick was a complete douche pointing out that GSP's talk of "worst beating ever" was just that, talk and that he wouldn't do it in the octagon... and then GSP didn't do it in the octagon.

If you don't respect a guy that shows up to fight, be it standup or ground where Nick is adept in both, you need to re-evaluate your way of thinking.

Wand shows up to to fight too and bang and all that bullshit.

We're discussing character here. Personality. And the guy was comparing nick to wand because they have both acted like thugs and dare I saw douches in the past.

Fighting skill doesn't automatically make up for that.

and GSP still dominated him btw

respect him or hate him
but he CLEARLY knows his shit in mma

Nobody took those things seriously. The only offensive joke for us was about the kids playing in the mud. Anderson delivered the punishment for that via knee to the chest.

heh dude you have a short memory... Many took those things seriously. The UFC was quite genuinely scared for Chael's safety a couple of times. He had extra security and they were leading him away from arenas in secret.

heh dude you have a short memory... Many took those things seriously. The UFC was quite genuinely scared for Chael's safety a couple of times. He had extra security and they were leading him away from arenas in secret.

I'm not saying people liked Chael, but the fear for his security has always been an absurd exageration. I mean, people could throw some beee on him or call him names, but nobody was gonna pull a gun and shoot him.

Kalib Starnes (Canadian) was signed for a match with Nate Quarry ('murican) in Montreal, Canada.

Of course the crowd was very pro-Starnes at the start. Problem was Starnes for whatever reason (he stated injury), basically pulled a running man the whole fight leading to Quarry literally chasing him around the cage and taunting him to get him to fight. While it gave us the following funny gifs, it was 15 minutes of my life I will never get back:

2i2bh9g.gif

tumblr_m67oysVdEE1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

The Montreal crowd was pissed and turned, booing Starnes any time his face was shown on the screen in the post fight, and cheering Quarry.

Nobody took those things seriously. The only offensive joke for us was about the kids playing in the mud. Anderson delivered the punishment for that via knee to the chest.

I like what you've been saying in this thread. You're making a lot of sense.

Just to emphasize your point here a little, because I think it's worth doing: I think there was a certain catharsis and a sense of 'justice has been done' and 'time served' in the humiliating way Chael 'choked' in the first fight and that knee to the solar plexus (or chest) that Anderson delivered in the second fight. The fact that Sonnen dominated Anderson for 24 minutes earned him respect and getting dual choked/armbarred served as punishment for his trolling. It was really a perfect storm for forgiveness. He showed he's a hard working badass fighter which seems to go a long way for Brazilians and he also took his licks which defused some of the rage they must have felt for his rude comments. The second knee induced seizure just really drove the idea that justice has been done point home. After the Anderson saga he was polite and even a bit contrite and I think with his honorable showing in the TUF show, especially juxtaposed by Wandy's childish behavior, it was easy for Brazil to not only forgive him but even embrace him.

Wand shows up to to fight too and bang and all that bullshit.

We're discussing character here. Personality. And the guy was comparing nick to wand because they have both acted like thugs and dare I saw douches in the past.

Fighting skill doesn't automatically make up for that.

and GSP still dominated him btw

Can't really say the Nick did much to make that a fight either, aside from some body shots he seemed content to turtle.....

chael is the greatest! I love how he actually pulled it off! I think he would've received a very warm response without Wand's recent antics, but considering the way things turned out, Chael came out looking like the Brazilian Hero. I was still shocked when I heard the crowd cheer chael and boo wanderlei

Yeah, Nick was a complete douche pointing out that GSP's talk of "worst beating ever" was just that, talk and that he wouldn't do it in the octagon... and then GSP didn't do it in the octagon.

If you don't respect a guy that shows up to fight, be it standup or ground where Nick is adept in both, you need to re-evaluate your way of thinking.

GsP landed more punches as well. He had Diaz in turtle mode from ground and pound and truly showed the difference between MMA and thug life boxing.

Back