Something I asked myself after watching BBC's Human Planet...

Guys I wasn't being literal about SoCal. I just meant a place with nicer weather

This shows how "knowledge" can make people stupid. You don't realize what you take for granted, is actually very difficult to figure out from scratch. Because you never had to do it.

Why didn't the Portuguese just sail around Africa to India and China. It is pretty simple. Just hug the coast, and turn left at the bottom. lol. Until you understand how complex things are.

Guys I wasn't being literal about SoCal. I just meant a place with nicer weather

Well, first of all, it's not in the nature of humans to go much further than what they're familiar with or beyond the boundaries of what they consider home. Most people throughout human history are bound to the land. This concept of being able to pull up stakes and move is a luxury and a modern concept, one that is still foreign to non-Anglophone, Western Hemisphere emigre countries. Even if it does happen, people go from rural areas to urban areas, not from rural to rural.

These people are living there because some time in the distant past, their ancestors were pushed there. They live much as their ancestors of hundreds of years past did and its no wonder that they have the same mentality. They aren't exposed to what's out there in the broader world and know only home. The ones that are exposed to what else is out there are the ones that don't want to go back, which is why all of these cultures that live in these extreme environments are dying peoples.

And here are the climate records for Nairobi and Kamapal:

aKNznYO.png

OooyzO0.png

Pretty much comparable to California coastal weather.

But why not use that same intelligence to find the nearest coast and become fisherman?
One, they don't know how to fish. Two, how does subsistence living in the desert provide enough money to buy a boat and other equipment? Three, there are already people there. Four.... ah, fuck it, it's half six in the morning and I'm a bit drunk.

Put it like this; why don't you move somewhere with a better quality of life? This isn't a rhetorical question.

because only weak people pick up and bail when the shit gets tough, the ones who stay, they are forged to survive and live, they adapt
If all of humanity took that mindset we'd still be living in East Africa.

Back