Somersault Kick and/or Cartwheel Kick???

tapiros

Supreme Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
@White
Reaction score
What is a differences between these two kicks or is Somersault Kick just another name for Cartwheel Kick?
I watch few videos but I didn't notice differences.

:confused:

Cartwheel Kick is like a Thai version of the Au Batido? yes?

It's called Do Mawashi Kaiten Geri in Kyokushin.

It's not a cartwheel kick - more of a rolling kick i.e. you roll forward & as you do you strike the target with the heel of the foot (kakato).

Norichika Tsukamoto is probably the best at doing this type of kick imo in the world - the success he has with it is insane however it is due to his clever/non-telegraphed setups.

It's not a cartwheel or a somersault kick - as none of these actions are involved in the kick.

It's called Do Mawashi Kaiten Geri in Kyokushin.

It's not a cartwheel kick - more of a rolling kick i.e. you roll forward & as you do you strike the target with the heel of the foot (kakato).

Norichika Tsukamoto is probably the best at doing this type of kick imo in the world - the success he has with it is insane however it is due to his clever/non-telegraphed setups.

I would also mention Valeri Dimitrov for that technique: https://youtu.be/vbiQTKvCutE?t=53

Is this Cartwheel Kick? If not what is a different?

Zaromski originates from kyokushin, and does the Do Mawashi kaiten geri ("mae" version). Basically they are forward&sideward rolls, where you kick before you yourself land on the ground. low %, high reward, very high risk techniques.
There are no set english terminology for these unusual kicks, and you can see a lot of variations and confusion in names for them.

yoko (side) domawashi kaiten geri
photo01_03.jpg

mae (forward) domawashi kaiten geri
photo01_04.jpg

Last edited:
Cartwheel Kick is like a Thai version of the Au Batido? yes?
I dont know if it is the kicks that OP as about, but I am assuming you are talking about this kick.
Example from karate.
81DtQcqSf5L.jpg

Not that I have ever trained it or even seen it myself. (this is seidokaikan, kyokushin offshot that was the foundation of the k-1 organization).

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the specific names of these kicks according to different styles, but here are some that I've heard called "somersault/cartwheel" kicks.

Somersault
mL9Bo5.gif

Cartwheel
KRXRR8.gif

Some other examples would be Davit Kiria's rolling thunder and Saenchai's trademark kick

once again, there is no naming standard for these kicks in english. you can call any of them any of the names given here, and some people would say you are right, other that you are wrong.

Didnt Badr hari get his jaw broken with this kick (summersalt from KK) during a final k1 match??

Edit
Yes against Peter Grahm. He called it "rolling thunder." Dont have the time to embed

I dont know if it is the kicks that OP as about, but I am assuming you are talking about this kick.
Example from karate.
81DtQcqSf5L.jpg

Not that I have ever trained it or even seen it myself. (this is seidokaikan, kyokushin offshot that was the foundation of the k-1 organization).

Neat, which books are these from?

Davit Karia does it quite often.

Kiria hails from a ashihara/kyokushin background, and does a fairly textbook yoko domawashi kaiten geri. I only wish he managed to actually hit with it more often. Placed right it is a fight ending technique. But when not hitting, it looks silly.

Kiria hails from a ashihara/kyokushin background, and does a fairly textbook yoko domawashi kaiten geri. I only wish he managed to actually hit with it more often. Placed right it is a fight ending technique. But when not hitting, it looks silly.

Isn't the kick Uriah Hall tries to do sometimes (looking silly) some kind of yoko mawashi kaiten geri?

Isn't the kick Uriah Hall tries to do sometimes (looking silly) some kind of yoko mawashi kaiten geri?

no idea. gifs or vid-clips plz?

Offhand I can only remember him doing the occasional basic jumping spinning back/hook kick. The difference is that if you do one of those in the air you land on your feet (if you hit you can lose ballance and fall, but that is not the intent). A domawashi kick (or rolling kick, or whatever you want to call them in english) is a sacrificial kick that always land you flat on your back, whether you hit or not..

Last edited:
no idea. gifs or vid-clips plz?

I'm at work now, can't really do it, I'll try to when I get home. He did it in the fight against "Doomsday" and the Thiago Santos one I think, both in the last round. I think it looked like a sideways kaiten geri (although I'm from Goju-ryu so I might not be able to identify that kick as well)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back