Someone remind me why Brock agreed to fight Ubereem?

1i3m42avaykx.jpg

The 2009 K-1 GP version seemed like the absolute biggest to me, arguably too big to the degree it limited his mobility and he backed off a little the following year.

As far as Lesnar goes he probably thought he could out wrestle him but I would argue actually Ubereem in MMA was a better anti grappler than he was a striker, especially against someone like Brock who looks to power opponents down from than timing shoots.

Lesnar bailed on his first attempt after feeling how strong Reem was.
giphy.gif

All downhill after that
That was a clean single too. I mean there was no drive or momentum but he got the leg and just had to run the pipe... Ubereem really was built different.

The 2009 K-1 GP version seemed like the absolute biggest to me, arguably too big to the degree it limited his mobility and he backed off a little the following year.

As far as Lesnar goes he probably thought he could out wrestle him but I would argue actually Ubereem in MMA was a better anti grappler than he was a striker, especially against someone like Brock who looks to power opponents down from than timing shoots.
You juxtaposed the picture against 2016 ubereem. The brock fight was 2012-2014 sometime. Ubereem was off steroids for over 2 years in that picture. You should delete your post it's incredibly misleading.

Giant Ubereem standing there with his giant arms up by his chin in tiny mma gloves was always a funny sight.

rDyvWa0vmvFnDjnlO4Epow6VILAdM3A8peSnD8yPXSk.jpg

Prime Overeem looks like he could be stronger than Ngannou.

The version that fought Ngannou seemed slower and weaker.

1i3m42avaykx.jpg
I think he was stronger, and by quite some margin. Back then - crazy that it's so long ago already - he was throwing big, strong dudes around like they were little girls. I remember seeing a vid of his doing a lot of strongman training like drills. He was throwing some pretty serious weight around if I remember correctly.
Crazy how much his strength has dropped of post USADA. He was throwing Bigfoot around when he was on the decline already. Nowadays he can't really overpower guys in the clinch anymore.

I think he was stronger, and by quite some margin. Back then - crazy that it's so long ago already - he was throwing big, strong dudes around like they were little girls. I remember seeing a vid of his doing a lot of strongman training like drills. He was throwing some pretty serious weight around if I remember correctly.
Crazy how much his strength has dropped of post USADA. He was throwing Bigfoot around when he was on the decline already. Nowadays he can't really overpower guys in the clinch anymore.

Back then I had only been a casual fan of MMA for a few years. I only knew the champions and bigger names at the time

I can't remember why Brock even decided that he would fight Overeem after coming back from diverticulitis which I still believe wasn't any bs and Brock really had it. Respect to Brock for doing it because as we all know Overeem at the time was 270lbs of K1 championship level striking while Brock was getting schooled by Pat Barry in the gym

The UFC should have given him a comeback fight. I guess they figured that Brock was done anyway but I'm still not sure why Brock even agreed to it in the first place especially since the fight before that he got beat pretty badly by Cain

EDIT: I don't want the Sherbros to think I'm hating on Brock, it's quite the opposite actually

Money. Its really that simple.

Even sherdog back when this was scheduled was confused. Brock was halfway retired and rekt from his illness, and we believed Ubereem was unstoppable after winning k1 tourney. The contrarians would say brock's wrestling could win it. I mean he'd only been outwrestled by Cain beforehand so they thought Overeem would be on his back.
Brock only attempted one takedown in the fight. I think Reem hurt him very early on and Brock never really got going.

I don’t know if that was Dana’s motivation. I think he had a big, muscular crazy athlete monster guy was immediately marketable. I think Dana wanted Brock to succeed. They hot-shotted him to the title right away.
Maybe so but when Mazigatti saved Mir, that's when I became suspicious.

The hate on Brock is crazy. The dude was rich and definitely didn’t have to get in there yet with a couple years training was able to get in there and compete with the best in the world. Dude is a true freak and had some balls. I bet he’s never had one person say any of the crap u see in these forums to his face. Imagine seeing that guy running up in your village with a sword a couple houndred years ago lol

Because Brock wasn't a coward like Fedor.
Brock always wanted to fight Fedor. Any heavyweight from that era wanted to fight Fedor because he was considered the best back then. Had the Brock Fedor fight been made in 2009 or 2010 with the proper promotion it would have broke every PPV record for combat sports or pro wrestling at the time. Huge failure on the UFC's part for not co-promoting on that one. They co-promoted on the Mcgregor vs Mayweather fight and made a killing.

Brock was a good fighter in a very weak division which led him to being able to capture the title. Prime 2008-2009 Brock isn't to going to dominate the current division.
Prime Brock would beat just about any top UFC heavyweight today if he got them down before taking any damage. Stipe would be his toughest fight in this garbage division.

Back