Some good from Tony Blauer

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I like Tony Blauer and his stuff. I am into RBSD. So i guess thats why. Blauer and his spear-system is somewhere in between striking and grappling. But i think he is more about striking then grappling.

Anyway. Here is some videos for you guys:

Last edited by a moderator:
120 views and no replies.. you lazy bastards! :icon_lol:

Seems like a little too much gear to train with, but pretty good concept imo.

Seems like a little too much gear to train with, but pretty good concept imo.

That suit is really not all that much gear and really does not interfere with movement. I have gotten to train with it some. M y only issue with it is it is a bit pricey and the joints still are a little to exposed for certain kinds of power work as the back of the head.

I've always listened to what TB has to say...because well...he's always right.

Smart guy, seems like excellent gear. Why can't all self defense trainers be this good?

I am a HUGE fan of Tony Blauer's Spear System and combative philosophy in general. The fact that he does a lot of work with Crossfit is also pretty cool.

Have you come across any of Kelly Mccann/Jim Grover material yet? I really like his philosophy as well, very raw and practical.

I personally believe that studding and practicing effective combative philosophies/tactics, is more beneficial than taking a "UFC" class.

Yeah Tony Blauer is tight. He's got a good K.I.S.S. approach for self defense that probably should be taught more

Certainly one of the most well-researched and strategic realistic self defence systems out there. I am not sure I'd agree with Frode that SPEAR is about striking though. The way I understand it, it is not really about anything per se, but rather a bridge to whatever works. The main emphasis is on the very first (startle flinch) response (and everything that happends before that). It basically rewinds fight scenarios to start drills way before traditional self defence drills start (e.g. with a hold already in place)...

Certainly one of the most well-researched and strategic realistic self defence systems out there. I am not sure I'd agree with Frode that SPEAR is about striking though. The way I understand it, it is not really about anything per se, but rather a bridge to whatever works. The main emphasis is on the very first (startle flinch) response (and everything that happends before that). It basically rewinds fight scenarios to start drills way before traditional self defence drills start (e.g. with a hold already in place)...

Pretty much. This is the heart of what makes it really work. TB is more of a striker than a grappler though and that comes through in his choice of follow up.

Well i am not sure if was trying to say that teh SPEAR system is a striking system. Because thats not what i mean. As a striker myself, i guess i see alot of openings for using my own tools from the things that Tony show in his tapes and seminars.

But what i like is the idea that it will work with any type of tools. Be it grappling, striking, clinch, ect.. As a complete selfdefense system should work.

Well i am not sure if was trying to say that teh SPEAR system is a striking system. Because thats not what i mean. As a striker myself, i guess i see alot of openings for using my own tools from the things that Tony show in his tapes and seminars.

But what i like is the idea that it will work with any type of tools. Be it grappling, striking, clinch, ect.. As a complete selfdefense system should work.

Yeah, that's the beauty of it. I realize that MMA is illegal in Norway, and don't know whether you have competed abroad, but have you been able to apply some of the principles of SPEAR in MMA sparring/competition? (EDIT: Found a Youtube clip where you are sparring, and I can identify a few techniques in the clinch)

Blauer comes from a striking background, yeah, but more than anything he should probably be considered a further developer of Bruce Lee's thinking, so anything goes ;)

Yeah, that's the beauty of it. I realize that MMA is illegal in Norway, and don't know whether you have competed abroad, but have you been able to apply some of the principles of SPEAR in MMA sparring/competition? (EDIT: Found a Youtube clip where you are sparring, and I can identify a few techniques in the clinch)

Blauer comes from a striking background, yeah, but more than anything he should probably be considered a further developer of Bruce Lee's thinking, so anything goes ;)

I have only done two MMA-fights. And that was not a serious fight. More like a internett challenge over a norwegian martial arts forum. I got my ass kicked. But one of the things i did well in that fight, was to use a basic SPEAR defense against two takedown/clinch attacks from the other guy.

The spear defense is another repackaged marketing ploy.

It's an augmented knife hand block, the difference is that he adds in the rbsd element around it and says its a bridge into everything else. I like his presentation of it, and explaining the theory of the human flinch.

But the fact is that It's been that way in kung fu, karate, TKD, and a myriad of other systems for a good while now. Even Muay Thai had a technique that does the same thing.

I dont see a point of your post. Most techniques can be found in different systems anyway.

Like the Crazy Monkey system. It is more or less just the doubleguard and forearm blocking of boxing.

just watched all the vids , thanks , some very interesting points , probably good training for police officers or military for sure , i didnt like the way he was so condescending towards martial arts though ,always refering to wax on and wax off ect ... especially when every move he showed comes from martial arts , my aikido intructor always said elbow power (tonys spear ) was the most important motion in martial arts , like 20 years ago , so its nothing new , btw he would have tied old tony in a knot and made him cry , just kidding

just watched all the vids , thanks , some very interesting points , probably good training for police officers or military for sure , i didnt like the way he was so condescending towards martial arts though ,always refering to wax on and wax off ect ... especially when every move he showed comes from martial arts , my aikido intructor always said elbow power (tonys spear ) was the most important motion in martial arts , like 20 years ago , so its nothing new , btw he would have tied old tony in a knot and made him cry , just kidding

You're not kidding. Lol

But I like Tony's teaching method, he used sound principles. He's not wrong in what he's saying...I'm just saying like you--it's a single technique. A "system" wrapped around a single technique.

Back