Some boxing sparring

.33 of the first video is PERFECT. You drop elevation, give a little pull, he misses a whole combination, and you're in ideal position to blast him for it. That's how you cancel out speed.

Nice work Adam. In my opinion you should have been using more in and out movement. He was trying to smack you around with his speed, but he was relying on you stepping into range. Throughout he was able to pop you really quick in the middle of your combinations then pivot out. So if you messed with his timing and range, it would have been easier for you. There's a nice example at 1:38 of the second round. He jabs and you pull back slightly, then you double jab him and step back again. He throws a right hand that falls short. There was an opportunity right there for you to attack him, and working to create that opportunity more consistently would have gotten you hit less, and slowed him down more when he was swinging at air.

Additionally, you could have been changing levels and working some defensive movements to get inside earlier on. When your coach told you to work the body you made some nice adjustments and put together smarter combinations. The earlier you get that going, especially your right hand under his jab, the easier the later rounds will be against that kind of guy.

Cutting him off more consistently would have gone a long way. He's very elusive when he's pivoting to his left, so what you did very well a couple times was step in that direction before him, then chase him down when he tried to go the other way. I think a good example was in the third round somewhere. If you combine this with changing levels and working up and down, he'll have a much harder time keeping you off him. Then you mess with his timing by going in just to pull back occasionally, and he's suddenly having much more trouble finding you while he can't seem to keep you off him.

Finally, you're starting to really favor your right hip. He managed to hit you a few times because you slipped to that side but stayed in the path of his punches. I'd like to see you slipping left, and moving your head that way to feint/set up your offense more consistently.

I think you did a good job overall, especially with using your counter jab to break his rhythm when he tried to initiate.

I keep making plans to watch Alvarez hunt down Lara again, but I'm not finding an hour to sit down and watch the fight. I think stylistically it's a similar fight, except my partner tends to stay put more often than Lara did.

Anyway, thanks for the critique. I thought my 3rd round was my best round in this set despite my hands being low from sheer fatigue. I could really cancel out a lot of free points I'm giving away just by picking my hands up when they're not busy.

If you're open to adjustment, I can help with the arms thing. It doesn't need to be a full change to your stance, but, just tilt your upper-body back slightly in your beginning position. Then rest your elbows comfortably against your torso.

The Rock:

rocky-marciano.jpg

Shoulders should never have to bear the burden of holding up arms.

That is some seriously sound advice. I'm in terrible shape, but I never have arm fatigue from holding my hands up. You just let your elbows lay against your ribs.

I picked Marciano because he's also an aggressor, and had underrated technical ability. His stance was excellent, but in more of a hand-up posture like you like (until he started bombing). Hands in proximity to face, lead shoulder slightly raised via tilt, head off-center, and despite that right looking very relaxed, it's chambered:

images

I'm talking about pulling high guard while I'm repositioning. "Packing for travel" when I'm not punching. After the first punch lands I don't bother putting my hands up for the rest of the combination even though I know I'm not firing back. It allows combinations to land clean versus cutting the rest of the combo off... which looks like shit on my part.

I picked Marciano because he's also an aggressor, and had underrated technical ability. His stance was excellent, but in more of a hand-up posture like you like (until he started bombing). Hands in proximity to face, lead shoulder slightly raised via tilt, head off-center, and despite that right looking very relaxed, it's chambered:

images

Also great proof that the elbows being close to the body isn't just for defense: Rocky claimed that he loved when opponents attacked his body, because it tired them out.

I'm talking about pulling high guard while I'm repositioning. "Packing for travel" when I'm not punching. After the first punch lands I don't bother putting my hands up for the rest of the combination even though I know I'm not firing back. It allows combinations to land clean versus cutting the rest of the combo off... which looks like shit on my part.

Same thing, though, just put your arms back against your torso. Hands will fall into position by default.

Back