Some boxing sparring

apizur**

Aggressive Finesse.
@Brown
Reaction score
EDIT: Most recent sparring on page 5.

Here's a roundabout we did recently. The camera angle isn't the best, two of the guys are very new, and it was awkward all around. However, there's quite a bit here to look at in terms of styles... so it's just something to throw out here for people to talk about if they see anything they like. The two new guys get into a few entertaining exchanges.

I'm in the grey, and will (as always) gladly accept critique. I was having trouble closing the gap without getting blasted, the guy in blue was doing a good job of reading distance and I was not. Maybe y'all can help me out.

Last edited:
Within the first 15 seconds the fella in blue was gauging distance with that flicking jab. He got you reacting to it, and furthermore attempting to react to it with offense initiated from too far away. This is similar to that punch-spamming issue you were asking about. When a guy does that, don't wait until he's done jabbing to attack, and use this habit against him. If you even look like you want to go, he'll threaten with those jabs. Either pick the first one (which will give you his positioning), then attack. Or slip it and walk right in behind an attack. Get HIM reacting to what YOU are doing. At that point you can even bait him, which gives you the initiative. Then he's reacting, and a step behind.

Welp, I didn't get a chance to work with him specifically again today... but I watched some Rigo and decided I would try to work a little lateral movement for setup. I know I was doing it in the beginning, but I think as time wore on I did it less. Today I felt more centered in my hips, but my coach was telling me that I was being very slow today. However, I felt like I scored more often and controlled distance better myself. I'll link after they upload.

What I see.

Your hands are leading you. It keeps getting you in bad position. You punch yourself in to bad position.

Slow down and trust in technique. Let your punches come from good movement in good position. So position, movement, punch.

This is what I would concentrate on if it was me in the video.

Looking good man

but when you were against that SP, you really need to get your distance down against a SP like that. You need to cover more distance(usually) and dont overextend yourself. That is exactly what they are looking for. Its standard orthodox vs. sp procedure. Disguise your steps to the outside angle, then blast them with hard punches. also try taking the inside angle as you move back. They think they are moving in to take outside put you take the inside angle on them.

Interesting, something to try when I get to work with him again.

First off, you guys are acting like bitches against the newbie in gray. Especially the smaller guy in green. Man is he annoying. Let the other guy work instead of blasting him full force. He is obviously not on that level yet. Oh and those constant loud yells. Grr!

Anyway, I can see why you have a hard time against him. He has some speed. I would probably try and push him into the corner and work the body more, but you did try and press him back as well and had some success. He raises his guard a lot when pushed into the corner. Explosive fighters like that needs to be broken. Don't stand on the outside and wait for him, press him back and be first and hit him hard back and throw more volume. Be ready to counter him when he lunges in, he is fast, but he throws himself forward. Meet that shit with the intercepting fist. Also, he doesn't keep his hands up in the exchanges like you do, so throw with him. You did that pretty well in the last round you guys sparred.

He has a pretty good jab. When he gets repetitive with him, use a hand parry, swipe it down and meet him with your own jab each time.

Again, the stiffness is a problem, but at least you are tight when throwing. I know it's a work in progress.

I can't comment too much on the technique.

Hey man, look a few minutes to scribble down some notes for you:

1. I think a lot of stiffness comes from the limitations I’m seeing in your shoulder/torso rotation. I can freeze the video on any of your right hands and you get MAYBE to parallel with your shoulders. Your right needs to jut ahead of your retracting left shoulder on some right hands. This commitment primes your body position for a weave right, moves your head off line, and puts you in a better spot to catch and counter the left hook. 7:06 you get a little closer to correct torso rotation and you end up getting off well with the punch, returning safely to your guard to catch a counter right hand. This is because your head slot changed on the cross subtly and then changed again on the retraction, giving Green Shirt more to process.

This shoulder rotation would make your head movement a lot better as well, both as a way of efficiently moving your head and also priming your shoulders for counter punches.

2. Could also bend your legs more on your weave.

3. Sometimes you are rushing your counter-punches. You have to let the beat build, let that counter breath a bit, or you’re just crowding your opening.

4. As a general piece of advice/question, why aren’t you laying your elbows on your rib cage more? You float them out too often. It hurts the delivery of your straight punches and makes it look as though you’re trying to compensate for some off-balancing.

5. You often hang your left jab out in a weird ineffective middle-ground position. You do it when you double up on your jab, as at 7:15. Freeze at 6:59 for another example. You’re not probing for offense or control, you’re not covering an opening, and the angle/positioning of your fist isn’t particularly threatening. Try to accomplish at least one of these things, because from where you are you are just muddying your lead hand’s delivery, and leaving an opening.

6. Look at your 1-2 at 10:21. It epitomizes a lot of the problems I am seeing. Right hand commitment is very shallow. You are standing very straight-legged, with insufficient shoulder/torso rotation. You also have your jab hand pinned to the middle of your chest. You are screaming for a right hand counter.

edit - this is all concerning your second video.

Extreme example would be someone missing a wild swing.

There is quite a bit of falling in when punching, from everyone...or overly widening-out to prevent it.

Brando, are you talking about trunk rotation... in a sense of I should be twisting at the abdominals more?

Not specifically your abs. Hard to pin down, but I would say more it is more about under rotating your shoulders, though of course they are all linked and moving together. If you could try to pull your left shoulder back to enable a bit deeper of a rotation for your right side as your throw, it would help. A key here is to fluidly rotate and recover instead of jutting and wrenching in a more start-stop fashion. I am half asleep so that may be too much abstraction.

Here's a roundabout we did recently. The camera angle isn't the best, two of the guys are very new, and it was awkward all around. However, there's quite a bit here to look at in terms of styles... so it's just something to throw out here for people to talk about if they see anything they like. The two new guys get into a few entertaining exchanges.

I'm in the grey, and will (as always) gladly accept critique. I was having trouble closing the gap without getting blasted, the guy in blue was doing a good job of reading distance and I was not. Maybe y'all can help me out.

I'd say you are too much on straight legs, gotta move your head more, up / donm , left / right, rolls.

Not specifically your abs. Hard to pin down, but I would say more it is more about under rotating your shoulders, though of course they are all linked and moving together. If you could try to pull your left shoulder back to enable a bit deeper of a rotation for your right side as your throw, it would help. A key here is to fluidly rotate and recover instead of jutting and wrenching in a more start-stop fashion. I am half asleep so that may be too much abstraction.

Brando, are you talking about trunk rotation... in a sense of I should be twisting at the abdominals more?

I can see what Brando is saying, but from what I saw it may be a bit simpler than that. It just looks like you have a tendency to rush your right hand, particularly in combinations it appears your hesitant to really commit to the right hand and instead use it to get back to your left (lead hook/etc).

From what I recall of your older sparring videos you had a tendency to stay over your lead foot a lot more, front foot heavy and leaving your rear foot behind. Your movement and transitions from offense to defense (vice versa) looks much improved. Your in better positions, appear more balanced and fluid in these clips.

Personally, when I started really working harder on keeping my weight further back and not falling onto my front foot as much, I went through a phase where i did the same thing with my right hand (non committal). What I finally figured out was that by learning to keep further back in my stance I was throwing my right hand to flat footed on my rear foot. So instead of keeping the weight more on the ball of my rear foot and allowing my hips/shoulders to get a full rotation, I was pressing off the outside edge of my rear foot/heel. Consequently that led me to being flat or on the blade of my rear foot and therefore I wasn't able to get the full hip/shoulder turn and really extend that right hand. From what I saw, it looks like your doing something very similar. If you keep that rear foot under the rear shoulder, then focus on just picking your rear heel up a bit (still staying heavy on rear foot) it should let you get that full rotation of your hips/shoulders on your right. At least from my experience, it's what made the difference for me. You look sharp though, nice work.

WTF...and out of the shadows Sully appears!

Just in time...

I, on a limb, focused on getting my shoulders around today. I got a lot of "YES! THAT!" out of my coach today as well. My nipples are also extremely raw. I was sore from Saturday's ab workout so focusing on what to relax (I could get a lot more turn out of my shoulders by letting my stomach relax into deeper rotation) was easy. Now it's time to reprogram the dance once again.

Sparring tomorrow, will follow up.

Sully's much more articulate post.

Yes! Better way to put it.

Happy to hear your coach was liking what he was seeing. I think it will translate into improvements everywhere in your game, as you get more comfortable rotating deeper into different positions, giving yourself more room to play whether you are slipping, feinting, or setting up an angle change. Looking forward to the next clip.

Back