Solution to Weight Cutting

Thats stupid. Of weight cutting is an issue make the weigh ins the morning of the fights.

Yeah....cause fuck the safety of the fighters. It would also be great when a bunch of fighters miss weight.

There is no weight cutting problem. Wrestling, boxing, mma have weight classes and athletes deal with it.

TS I can never tell when you're being serious or not

The weight cutting threads got me thinking about a way around it. Its obviously not optimal for performance to cut 20+ pounds of water the day before a fights. So here is my system:

Measure the length of the torso from belly button to the chin.

Measure the circumference of the chest.

Measure the length of the arm.

Measure the circumference of the bicep.

Measure the circumference of the neck.

Measure the circumference of the thigh.

Add all the measurements together have divisions based on the total of the measurements. For example a 100 inch division and so on.

I know it sounds crazy, but would it accomplish the goal of grouping similar sized fighters into a division? Obviously we may have to fine tune the measurements taken incase it favors tall skinny guys or short stocky guys too much.

post-2-0-15170100-1377795095.jpg

And then when the guy misses weight the fight gets cancelled and everyone that bought the PPV is pissed off.

Fighters wouldn't cut an extreme amount of weight if they didn't have time to dehydrate.

I lost 10 IQ points reading this thread.

None of these "solutions" to weight cutting will ever happen. Every champion in every org cuts weight. If suddenly people had to weigh in on the night of the fight, or had to be measured, or whatever other half-cocked scheme Sherdog can come up with, then every single champion would get stripped of their title for not being able to fight in that weight class.

So yes, keep trying to "solve" weight cutting.

Weight cutting is a part of fighting and always will be. But there is a serius safety issue if you don't cut correctly that should be addressed. Rogan had a decent idea if you read the article where he was quoted. You could have random weigh ins with hydration tests around 6 weeks out or so, then 2-3 weeks out to keep fighters in check so they have a gradual drop rather than 20 plus pounds the night before fighting. Then day before fight have final weigh-ins like they do now.
I know this would create some other problems, like if someone fails the weigh-in 2 weeks out but it would help fighter safety.

An elaborate solution to a problem that does not exist.

This is a sport where the primary goal is to shut off the brain of your opponent. Getting dehydrated for a little while is the least of these guys health and safety concerns.

i like the idea as long as they dont use carwains measuring tape to measure everyone

Back