• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Locked SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (First Reactions; Tracking for $160M+ Holiday Weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the furthest thing from objective. 91% rotten tomatoes, 7.4 on imdb. Most people seem to like it.
You're giving a literal response to hyperbole. Uh, duh.

Also, 47% viewer rating. Since we're being so literal here, statistically "most" people seem to dislike it.

So now you're telling me how to rate films? How can I give a film like AoTC anything above a 2 when it's so bad? It managed to not only age incredibly poorly from a production standpoint (the visuals are hilariously bad), but also somehow managed to get some of worst performances ever from fine actors. It's a terrible movie by any measure.

The Last Jedi might be one of the most tonally inconsistent films I've ever seen. From a narrative standpoint, it's an absolute mess. Literally it's only redeeming quality is that it's shot well. Even the score is bad IMO.

I rate films how I want to rate films.

Well, I wasn't trying to tell you how to rate them... I was just pointing out the very obvious truth that there are far worse movies. I mean when you get to a rating of 2... imo... there are some real bottom scraping crap that you're comparing it to. Maybe you haven't been exposed to movies as bad as I've seen... but when I think of a 1 - 10 scale... the lower level of that scale is such absolute crap that I can't even personally fathom how a Star Wars film could be rated anywhere near such a film.

You said, "Even the score is bad"... lol... we definitely disagree there... but if you tell me it's "2 rating bad" I'm calling BS.

The visuals are stunningly good imo... but if you don't like them then that's your opinion... but even if you have a problem with them... in no way are the visuals as bad as a 2 rating. I don't know.. maybe you only watch high quality movies & have never seen a true 2 rated movie.

There's really no comparison to a true 2 rated movie with any star wars. it's not even close. You really seem to be trolling with this.

It's the furthest thing from objective. 91% rotten tomatoes, 7.4 on imdb. Most people seem to like it.
47% on RT, not 91% by bought Disney critics. Reddit, Facebook, everywhere people have been hating on it. It literally is the worst star wars rated by fans, ever.

That's such an incredibly bad argument. Transformers films have high production value, but I'll be damned if that means they're an automatic 5. Budget has nothing to do with the quality of a film.
You are just being un-realistic about what a 2 rated movie really is.

Even the worse transformer movie you're bitching about is still better than a true 2 rated movie. Stop being a drama queen & get real.

Please... stop trolling for a moment & get real. There's no way it's a 2 by any standard.

i don't know though... maybe you live a charmed life where your butler pre-watches movies for you & only passes on those that are of better quality. Perhaps you've never been exposed to a "true 2 rated movie."

Again with your "selective reading comprehension"... I've said over & over that it's "presenting the Star Wars universe with the high production value." I've also made my point very clear that high production value alone moves it to a "higher' rating... not that it's the only thing we consider. You gotta really get real with what a 2 out of 10 rating means when you compare it to other movies. I mean there is some real crap out there. no doubt about it. All I'm saying is that no matter what you feel about the story or whatever... there's movies out there that don't have a good story... plus they don't have the production value.... & those movies are at the 2 level. By default a big production movie gets boosted off of fooking 2.

To your point though... the end of your post is something that can actually be discussed. You are still presenting it in an overly hateful way... but if you have a problem with the story then that can be discussed.

The people taking over the galaxy are launching a huge attack on the biggest resistance cell against them. oh yeah that's f*cked. Oh wait... no it's not... that makes a lot of sense.

My point being that it's not the entire plot & story that you don't like. You're just complaining about the details. & that's fine, but you said it's the worst script & story... & yet that point I just brought up makes sense. i've seen movies that made absolutely no sense. My wife & I were litereally sitting there trying to figure out what the plot was half way through the movie. So when you say sh*t like "it's the worse script & story", you are comparing it to that movie.

Again, you are all just over exaggerating your point of view because it's Star Wars & you expect so much more... but when you didn't get what you wanted... you go WAY OVER THE TOP to express your point of view. it's not that bad. Maybe you would've done thingz different... & maybe you didn't like the way it went down... but it's certainly not to the extreme you speak of.

My selective reading comes from your novels. Im never going to read that horse shit

That didnt really feel like a star wars movie. It seems to be just missing "something" it seems like fast and furious in space kinda., espcially that train scene. We'll see.

I will be honest, I dont like that guy as han. He just doesnt have the charisma. I cant explain it but he just doesnt sit right as han.

It's being directed by Ron Howard....
The only movie that has been decent since the original trilogy has been Rogue One. The prequels were an abomination. The Force Awakens is a rehashed story line. The Last Jedi was terrible. The cartoons, Rebels and Clone Wars, have been better than the movies.
If they want to make Star Wars great again, they need to have Timothy Zahn write a script for a movie based on Thrawn.
I'm going to respond in order of your statements.
  • Disagree
  • Disagree
  • Meh... all right... TFA is a bit rehashed... but I don't mind. It haz its original qualities & I ain't mad at them for playing it safe first movie out the gate. I love how they introduced new characters while mixing in our old faves. Of course... it's the biggest movie of all time. Lets not leave that out of any convo moving forward as that is an indisputable & very important fact regarding any convo related to Ep. 7's validity
  • Disagree
  • Hmm.... I do love the cartoons. I'm not going to compare them. I love them all.
  • see attached emoji...
V0CxIeR.gif

My selective reading comes from your novels. Im never going to read that horse shit
f73.gif

At least post a fun gif with it. Geez... do I gotta spell everything out for you fooking trollz.

You seem to be willing to dish it out but not willing to take it back. Time to GTFO of my thread.

Last edited:
I want to like the movie, but after Last Jedi I'm going in with low expectations.

The surrounding cast looks decent, but I'm skeptical about the Han actor.

Thats not true. Look at audience scores
GTFO of here talking about audience scores & then you don't post any. You're nothing more than a troll that wants to keep spitting venom & then refuse to read what someone writes you back.

I'm going to respond in order of your statements.
  • Disagree
  • Disagree
  • Meh... all right... TFA is a bit rehashed... but I don't mind. It haz its original qualities & I ain't mad at them for playing it safe first movie out the gate. I love how they introduced new characters while mixing in our old faves. Of course... it's the biggest movie of all time. Lets not leave that out of any convo moving forward as that is an indisputable & very important fact regarding any convo related to Ep. 7's validity
  • Disagree
  • Hmm.... I do love the cartoons. I'm not going to compare them. I love them all.
  • see attached emoji...
V0CxIeR.gif

The only decent scene from the prequels was the fight with Maul, and they even managed to fuck that up.
There was no reason to rehash A New Hope, they have endless possibilities going forward. Move on with the story line.

I want to like the movie, but after Last Jedi I'm going in with low expectations.

The surrounding cast looks decent, but I'm skeptical about the Han actor.

He doesn't have the voice to be Han. Han has a deep confident voice. This new guy squeaks like a teenager.

@Dragonlordxxxxx is there a place to watch trailers that doesn't have youtube's shitty compression?

Last edited:
Aside from the 3 good ones, all the rest struggle with tone. They just don't know what they want to be. Is Jedi a serious movie or a hokey movie to sell toys? They didn't quite do either well. The lack of consistent tone has plagued Star Wars.

Jedi definitely has more weaknesses but I don't think theer fatal weaknesses being much more self contained and honestly even then I don't find the Ewoks THAT bad, unlike all the attempts to follow them since they do still have some charm to them, I spose helped by having prime Harrison Ford to play off of. Many of my favourite Starwars scenes are in that film though, the Luke/Vader stuff, the Deathstar attack(still the best space battle ever filmed for me), much of the Jaba section and Yoda's death.

The sequels and the prequels are just all over the place tone wise for me, cartoonish elements thrown into serious plots without thinking at all killing much of the credibility of the setting. The sequels especially feel like having some terrible youtube "comedy" reviewer sitting next to you making comments whilst you watch them.

The only decent scene from the prequels was the fight with Maul, and they even managed to fuck that up.
There was no reason to rehash A New Hope, they have endless possibilities going forward. Move on with the story line.
The prequels tell a fascinating story of how the Sith gained power over the universe... as well as expand the Star Wars universe in many different directions. We get to see a young Obi excellently played... more Yoda, Qui Gon, Sideous, Maul, Anakin... the list goes on with all the other characters. I really don't understand why so many people don't like them. I got a lot of love for Eps 1 - 3.

TFA wasn't a rehash of New Hope. it has similarities... but there's a lot of differences as well.

Last edited:
The prequels tell a fascinating story of how the Sith gained power over the universe... as well as expand the Star Wars universe in many different directions. We get to see a young Obi excellently played... more Yoda, Qui Gon, Sideous, Maul, Anakin... the list goes on with all the other characters. I really don't understand why so many people don't like them. I got a lot of love for Eps 1 - 3.
Most haters were precursors pre-echoing the same criticisms we have today: STAR WARS ruined my childhood. Here, I can only assume the person's expectations weren't met, but as to exactly why I cannot even guess.

There's also the notion that the Prequels explore details that were better left as pregnant bits of dialogue from the Original Trilogy and should not have been expanded upon, or should have included more left-turns to defy expectation.

I tend to think the themes are out of alignment. A NEW HOPE set a simple framework about the little guy versus the big guy, and it comes from Lucas' youthful/pinko sensibilities. But as he got older and more (spectacularly) established, his political intonations were no longer simple nor appropriate for space opera with laser swords. Even if older audiences understand the impact of trade negotiations and senate debate, this all takes away from why we came to see STAR WARS: escapism. This wouldn't have been so bad had the story concentrated on DRAMATIZING these events, but as it stands it feels more like a textbook. Dramatically speaking, it's flat.

You have to objectively look at why tfa and tlj did what they did at the box office.

First off tfa has for the first time in 30 damn years Luke in it, peolle came out in droves for that.

We were dissapointed by him just being at the very end, this by itself might have turned people off from watching again, but Abrams had people coming back to rewatch to try and catch everything. Watch the lightsaber dream sequences again etc, to see what we missed and the clues we might have missed the first time. In preperation for VIII. It did feel a little like a rewritten new hope sometimes, but hey we lived with it.

We had a stormtrooper who the force awakens, and will turn out to be a Jedi more than likely, we have a new force sensitive user that for some reason has ties to luke, or Obi Wan or maybe qui-gon? We don’t know.

We showed up with money in hand on opening day like mother fukers for tlj, to see Luke, find out what the fuck he’s been up too, how powerful is this somebitch now?

Who is rey? What’s her back story? How bad ass is Finn gonna yet

Who the fook is snoke? How is he so powerful? Did palp know or train him? Was he once palps teacher? Or perhaps a padawan that palp thought he killed?

Etc etc, so when we went out and saw Luke milking seacow tits, none of the set ups from tfa where answered we did not have any reason or fooking desire to go see that bullshit again.

It did well on opening day, until people saw what a fooking dissapointmemt it was and it dropped off the face of the earth faster than any film in history at the box office.

Son I am dissapoint

So much so that a lot of people now have zero desire to go see 9, there was no build up to 9, no unanswered questions left dangling in front of us like a carrot.

I liked rouge one, better than the prequels. It felt more “Star Wars” to me, the prequels felt too soft in tone even though there was some dark ass shit going on.

I’d rather see solo, than 9 if they were both released at the same day and I had to make a choice.

So far I’ve only not seen a new hope in the theater. I was at the baby sitter when my parents whent to see it.

And prequels 2-3, after phantom said fuck it. I’ll wait for the vhs.

I’ll more than likely not see 9 in theaters unless the kids beg, but I seriously doubt it.

I bought tlj and brought it home, it got watched for 20 mins and my kid put empire in the dvd instead.

That’s telling you something. When a kid would rather watch empire for the 9000th time than rewatch tlj on the day it came out on dvd and did not ask to go see it again in theater.

I bet we went to see tfa 4 times while it was in theater. Because he wanted to see it again. And I didn’t mind either trying to pick up on clues and details missed to fill in the story.

I don’t like the new actors tone some in the trailer for han but fit I’ll wait to see the whole movie before I jusdge.

It had Ron Howard at the wheel so there’s hope.

One thing I did not like was the modification of the famous line.

“I’ve got a good feeling about this” the actual line that has been in every single sw movie prior I’m sure had plenty of places to fit in.

Most haters were precursors pre-echoing the same criticisms we have today: STAR WARS ruined my childhood. Here, I can only assume the person's expectations weren't met, but as to exactly why I cannot even guess.

There's also the notion that the Prequels explore details that were better left as pregnant bits of dialogue from the Original Trilogy and should not have been expanded upon, or should have included more left-turns to defy expectation.

I tend to think the themes are out of alignment. A NEW HOPE set a simple framework about the little guy versus the big guy, and it comes from Lucas' youthful/pinko sensibilities. But as he got older and more (spectacularly) established, his political intonations were no longer simple nor appropriate for space opera with laser swords. Even if older audiences understand the impact of trade negotiations and senate debate, this all takes away from why we came to see STAR WARS: escapism. This wouldn't have been so bad had the story concentrated on DRAMATIZING these events, but as it stands it feels more like a textbook. Dramatically speaking, it's flat.
Excellent answer... & though I still don't agree with the notion that the prequel story was best left untold.... I can understand better why some people resist it. What you say about "escapism" is probably a big part of it for sure. I personally enjoy the mental gymnastics that the prequels gave me to chew on... but maybe it all hits a little to close to home & so people didn't get to "escape."

What you said about the original being about little guy vs big guy makes a lot of sense. The first time I watched all 6 episodes in a row... the original plot was super thin compared to the prequels. The prequels were through the roof with plot.... then ep 4 is literally little more than big bad & little guy hunting for each other. What they do have though is "The Big Bad."

It reminds me of the Godzilla movies. There are so many people that tout the original as the best one. Even though the acting (except the main character & one more) is absolutely laughable... & the graphics are total child's play based on today's standard... what that movie has going for it is that it makes the big bad ominous & it never deviates from that. There's absolutely no comic relief & it's just telling the story of the terror that Godzilla created.

The point I'm making is that the original Star Wars trilogy had that ominous feeling to it. Like the big bad was really big & bad... & so I can understand how the prequels might of undercut that feeling. All of a sudden their big bad was a little helpless kid & then a confused teen... & his motivations for going big bad became questionable. Prior to the prequels... Darth Vader was big bad & that's it.

So then we go to the new trilogy & people are pissed that the big bad who is Kylo... is a spoiled rich kid with some power but plenty of doubts... but he never really gives us this sense that he's the big bad. The bigger bad is presented as Snoke with limited screen time... & then in the next movie, he shows he's really big & bad but then gets nixxed by Kylo.

So basically, the haterz just wants to feel the big bad in Star wars or they're out?

I personally love the plot depth of the prequels & the new series. I get the fascination with the feeling of watching the big bad... but I really don't need it. I love the debth of the plot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back