So, who's watching what tomorrow?

You got me with your AZ time, @sweetviolenturg. I pulled up DAZN about noon and saw it said 2PM and was like "huh?".

In the civilized world, we use ET as the standard.

Whoops. Sorry, bro. I am, after eighteen months here in AZ, fully indoctrinated into left coast time. But in the future, I'll try to remember to specify time zones to avoid any further confusion. ;)

Honestly, though, I've really come to love having everything take place so early in the day. I enjoy having the fights on in the afternoons & my Buffalo Bills games on at ten o'clock on Sunday mornings.

Whoops. Sorry, bro. I am, after eighteen months here in AZ, fully indoctrinated into left coast time. But in the future, I'll try to remember to specify time zones to avoid any further confusion. ;)

Honestly, though, I've really come to love having everything take place so early in the day. I enjoy having the fights on in the afternoons & my Buffalo Bills games on at ten o'clock on Sunday mornings.
I bet. It's interesting for sure. In 2007 I was in Honolulu for a couple weeks and I woke up one Saturday morning to take a leak. I had left the TV on and I was like "how late did I sleep, wtf?" and then realized it was 7:30am---even though there was an NCAAF game on and it was almost halftime or something. May have been the third quarter. lol
Cincinnati played on MNF and we were at a bar at 2PM for the 3PM (9ET) kickoff. Crazy.

I bet. It's interesting for sure. In 2007 I was in Honolulu for a couple weeks and I woke up one Saturday morning to take a leak. I had left the TV on and I was like "how late did I sleep, wtf?" and then realized it was 7:30am---even though there was an NCAAF game on and it was almost halftime or something. May have been the third quarter. lol
Cincinnati played on MNF and we were at a bar at 2PM for the 3PM (9ET) kickoff. Crazy.

Yeah, for sure. Well, enjoy the fights, my friend.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, i've watched MMA since day 1, the fans and the promotions just bore the fuck out of me now, ive watched it for 20 years+, but lately its become nonsense

similar boat. Too many ppv cards that leaped in price. I have better ways to spend my money.

similar boat. Too many ppv cards that leaped in price. I have better ways to spend my money.
That's another good point. Guy I work with and his wife and kid would come over, kids would play and we would split every UFC and Pride event and watch while the wives drank and had a good time. I remember when they went from $24.95 to $29.95 and then to $34.95. And let's remember that at the time, the cards were like quarterly (or even less frequent) and LOADED with meaningful fights.

I'll be kicking my day off with Usyk-Chisora at 11:00 AM on DAZN.

Then I'll watch the UFC at 1:00 PM on ESPN +.

And finally, I'll be switching over to the Inoue-Moloney card on ESPN + at 4:30 PM ( I'll finish watching the UFC card later on via replay ).

The Davis-Santa Cruz PPV? I'm not paying $70 for that. #1) it's ridiculously overpriced #2) I don't really care for any of the fighters on the card & with so much other combat sports content to watch over the course of the day there's no way that I'll be tempted into an impulse buy.
I will start sleeping in 11:00AM and wake up in 11PM but it is different time here in EU

The overall fanbase. I dont meet people that watched Football all their lives, simply get bored of it and stop watching. It's not common in other sports, where as MMA it tends to be normal. This is a fight forum but in general.
they’re called casuals. There’s a reason boxing is constantly “back” or “dying.” Fight sports rely on stars to sell fights.

Oh, for sure. In fact, martial arts were actually my first love as a kid. So, I spent five & a half years training in Isshin-Ryu Karate & Tae Kwon Do before I fell in love with boxing & I switched over to it to begin my amateur career. Then, a few years later, when I was ready to turn pro I stopped training at my local amateur PAL club & I began training at a pro gym with was a hybrid boxing/kickboxing facility. So, I began cross-training in kickboxing & about a year later I was promoted to black belt. And I had one pro kickboxing bout before I blew out my right knee while training for my second one. That required reconstructive surgery so I made the decision to focus solely on my boxing career & give up kickboxing.

So, yes, sir. If I were younger & healthier when MMA became a thing, I'd have definitely had at least one pro fight to try it out. But realistically, I'd have been a one-dimensional fighter because I was a pure striker. Sure, there was some groundwork in Isshin-Ryu was it was very basic joint locks, throws & chokes. Nothing that would allow me to hang on the mat with a good grappler. So, I'd have had to try to get my opponent out of there quickly with strikes.

I became a bit more proficient in grappling after my boxing career was over because after I hung my gloves up I wanted a new challenge so I began training in Kajukenbo Kempo. It has a good amount of Jiu-Jitsu in its curriculum so I got better. But my knee became an issue with some of the techniques & the amount of rolling required to advance in belt ranks. But we worked around those issues & I was awarded my black belt in a little less than three years.

So, as a lifelong martial artist & a professional combat sports athlete, I'd have loved to fight in MMA but the timing was all wrong. I was actually asked if I wanted to come back & fight on a "semi-pro" MMA card in Cleveland back in 2004 but I turned it down because I'd have had a whole two days notice, it would have actually cost me more in transportation costs than I'd have made for fighting & the fights weren't sanctioned. So, there was nothing to be gained from doing so. It wouldn't have even gotten me an official record. And win, lose or draw that was important to me. So, I chose not to come back at 41-years-old.
Nice. I didn't know you also had a kickboxing background along with a background in traditional martial arts. I trained MMA (mostly with amateurs but I've sparred with numerous pros) for a few years but never got to actually compete. I was supposed to fight twice but my opponent pulled out both times so I said screw it and went to college. I trained in Karate & TKD myself from the late 80s through the 90s. Back then, as you know, traditional martial arts dojos were everywhere.

As a former Karateka I'm familiar with Isshin-Ryu Karate as well as Kajukenbo. Chuck Liddell is a black belt in Kajukenbo. As for Karate, the one particular style of the bunch I've seen translate rather successfully into MMA is Kyokushin (modern Dutch-style kickboxing itself is made up of Kyokushin in part). In the MMA realm GSP is probably the most famous Kyokushin practitioner.

Well, this is a smooth night. After Del Boy vs Usyk 2 cable channels broadcast the PBC and Top Rank events with no need to buy the PPV. It’s 3:00 am and I won’t get much sleep, but it makes the covid lockdown acceptable.

Well, this is a smooth night. After Del Boy vs Usyk 2 cable channels broadcast the PBC and Top Rank events with no need to buy the PPV. It’s 3:00 am and I won’t get much sleep, but it makes the covid lockdown acceptable.

Sadly, French consultants may be the worst on earth. Just heard this one : « Inoue is the best Japanese fighter in the history of Japan. »

Back