So who was the biggest name ever in the industry, Hogan, Austin,The Rock or someone else?

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
So who was really the biggest name ever in the industry?
I don't mean crossover star but biggest name and draw as a pro wrestler?

Out of those 3, I would say Hulk.
But....
Londos, Rikidozan, Santo, Longson, Watson, Inoki, Baba, Blue Demon
I would say Londos for overall including US. Watson for Canada. Rikidozan for Japan and Santo for Mexico.

Hogan

The crowd flipped on Rock when they clashed at Mania, and Rock was booked as a solid babyface.

el-santo-man-and-myth.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Santo

In my lifetime it was definitely Hulk and then Austin. But don't the numbers say Bruno?

I don't remember anyone else that can say that they ruled the 80s after slamming Andre in front of 93,000 fans, ruled the 90s by telling his fan base to "stick it," and/or went over Otto Wanz, Killer Khan, El Canek, and Antonio freaking Inoki in one tournament to win the inaugural IWGP championship.

Can you?

I don't remember anyone else that can say that they ruled the 80s after slamming Andre in front of 93,000 fans, ruled the 90s by telling his fan base to "stick it," and/or went over Otto Wanz, Killer Khan, El Canek, and Antonio freaking Inoki in one tournament to win the inaugural IWGP championship.

Can you?

Also bouncing back from racist comments and sex tapes.

Even Meltzer said Hogan is the biggest box office draw.

Hogan right now, but when the dust settles, it will be The Rock. The Rock is so huge that in time, his pro-wrestling career will be a mere footnote in his autobiography.

I guess it depends how you judge it though. If it's just purely PW, Hogan will probably never be topped in notoriety for simply being a pro-wrestler. General infamy though, The Rock will destroy them all.

Even Meltzer said Hogan is the biggest box office draw.
He consistently says Londos was the biggest draw ever. He does says the biggest name is a different story than biggest draw and that Hogan is in contention for that honor.
But both Santo and Rikidozan were more known in their respective countries than Hogan in the US. Meltzer is a big advocate for Santo. Riki also but not as much as Santo.

Hogan right now, but when the dust settles, it will be The Rock. The Rock is so huge that in time, his pro-wrestling career will be a mere footnote in his autobiography.

I guess it depends how you judge it though. If it's just purely PW, Hogan will probably never be topped in notoriety for simply being a pro-wrestler. General infamy though, The Rock will destroy them all.
Not sure about that.

Hogan was a bigger star as a pro wrestler I think.
And pro wrestling was itself multiple times bigger in the 80s than people understand now. There was no MMA.
Even Macho Man was a monster star in the late 80's and Andre obviously as well.

Hogan was the biggest star in the world at one time, even more famous than movie stars but as a pro wrestler. He was on billboard adds for everything and WrestleMania was a cultural phenomena at that time.
Rock is maybe as big, but he had to become and actor to do it since the industry itself is much less prominent.

He consistently says Londos was the biggest draw ever. He does says the biggest name is a different story than biggest draw and that Hogan is in contention for that honor.
But both Santo and Rikidozan were more known in their respective countries than Hogan in the US. Meltzer is a big advocate for Santo. Riki also but not as much as Santo.

Not in the 2/28/00 Observer. He says Londos didn’t draw consistently as Hogan.

Back