So Thompson just walks through Lawler, right?

Brendan Schaub said they brought Thompson in to Reign I think it was to spar stand up with them and they had to close the gym to the public durring sparring cos Thompson was smashing the HW's.

Thompson looked awesome against Hendricks and all so this isn't a knock on him....but what has Robbie Lawler done to make people think anyone can just walk right through him?

That's exactly what he does for large portions of his fights. Its why the fights with Hendricks, Condit, and Rory were so competitive.

No. He does fall into lulls of low output or outright inactivity, not that it's a good idea to conserve energy but it hasn't failed him yet aside from the first Hendricks fight in the judges eyes.

Also, most fighters that are elite (in any division) such as GSP, Rory, Hendricks, & Condit don't allow or engage their opponent once they attempt to reset. I know a no name MMArtist in me, that has picked up on that and added it to his game. Lawler does the same thing, and everybody knows Sleepy Lawler is followed by Rage Mode like a boss in a Nintendo game.

Lawler has footwork, timing, spacing, & distance down. To say a veteren of the game for as long as Lawler who managed to win the UFC title this late in his game will simply stand slackjawed and stupid is in itself slackjawed and stupid. He still attempts counters & counter counters in Sleepy mode. Haven't you noticed he lands the hardest shot(s) in every round? If he has failed on that even once I guarantee you he attempted to do so.

The man has consistently shown he is crafty, precise, quick, durable, & powerful. He is a hell of a fighter for anyone to go up against, even a talent like current Wonderboy. Wonderboy may be even faster, just as if not even more precise, and just as crafty if not crafty in a kickboxing/karate way- but is he as durable? He's certainly powerful, but can he consistently take shots from Robbie Lawler who nearly killed Diesel during a finish while green?

I don't know what to expect in this fight aside from both fighters bringing it. I think it's going to be long and bloody. I don't think Lawler's legendary chin is going to give out, not in the first round, off chance he gets finished in the first round I'm thinking a nasty counter spinning back kick, I still believe Wonderboy getting KOd or TKOd in the first is more likely than Lawler. I believe Wonderboy will continue to remain true to his word that he hates exchanging and prefers to pick apart his opponents- until he realizes Lawler is patient and can counter strike & even counter counter & etc. with the best of them. Not that he'll try to exchange right away after, but he'll get frustrated & try to mix it up as well as get increasingly desperate to land & Lawler starts to shine from then on, making it his fight. 48-47 or 49-48 Lawler.

Last edited:
I never count anyone out, especially Lawler. But as a matchup it's awful for him. Being completely honest, Lawlers strength is striking and in striking he's a brawler.

The fact that Thompson stopped Hendricks shot relatively easily should terrify the division because I wouldn't count on anyone in the current top 5 being a better striker.

The fact that he stopped Hendricks' shot shouldn't terrify the division. He used counter straights and kicks from everywhere when Hendicks hesitated to keep Johny from striking to set up the takedown. Takedowns become much easier to stop when you get the luxury of seeing them coming from that far out with no setup.

Lawler presents an entirely different kind of matchup, because he has the ability to drag anyone into a wild brawl. He did it to Condit, he did it to Rory, he did it to Manhoef. Lawler also closes the gap much faster than Johny does. If anyone can get to and stay in the pocket, it's Robbie.

No. He does fall into lulls of low output or outright inactivity, not that it's a good idea to conserve energy but it hasn't failed him yet aside from the first Hendricks fight in the judges eyes.

It was only due to the judges eyes that he won the second Hendricks fight and the Condit fight. He could've easily lost both of those, and IMO he should've.

Thompson's performance against Johnny is one of the best i've ever seen in the Octagon, ever. That's what you call A+ level striker, fluid and deadly.

Lawler always has a chance against anyone though. His power and heart are incredible.

It was only due to the judges eyes that he won the second Hendricks fight and the Condit fight. He could've easily lost both of those, and IMO he should've.

It wasn't only due to the judges eyes, the judges couldn't see Hendricks eyes half the fight due to Lawlers nuts being right ontop of them when not on his dome & forehead. If you wanna blame the judges you should admit part of it is on Hendricks, majority IMO.

Lawler outstriked Hendricks iirc. Or was the 2nd one when Hendricks was most leg kick happy? If so, that'd be funny because that plan was the smartest route to victory if he continued to mix it up, yet he abandoned it for what he considered a smarter and awfully homo gameplan. Control on the mats sure but don't control their nads.

Hendricks is a great fighter, but he wasn't active enough on top & came off (yet probably was) as if he wasn't willing to engage in the later rounds. Lawler seemed in control aside from when he was visibly frustrated and annoyed being held down. 4th and 5th round was all Lawler when there was anything happening of note if I recall.

Condit landed SOME hard shots, but Lawler landed the hardest shots every round. He may have lost two rounds in some judges eyes but not more than that IMO, if I recall. IIRC, the swing round was 2 or 3 if you wanna call any round that. Condit put together some good combos, but he was going with an accumulation/attrition based gameplan without much pop in the strikes compared to what he's truly capable of, power wise. If he would've consistently stunned Lawler, and kept chopping at his legs, he would've won, but again the fighter decided their gameplan that was working great could only be better by choosing a suckier route. In Condit's case it was take away even more power and that did him in. It looked like all he was tallying up was total numbers and not significant strike numbers. Meanwhile it seems the only strikes Lawler likes throwing are significant strikes, even when it comes to his jabs, all piston. If you wanna blame the judges, again, gotta put part of the blame on Condit, majority IMO.

I love all these fighters, Hendricks sings, lol. I'm not gonna blame the judges for the outcomes of these fights though. Hendricks vs Lawler I was a questionable call IIRC, but fuck it.

Ppl think Lawler and Hendricks are too similar they've fought twice and both like to BANG.

They seem to forget since winning the strap Robbie is just a caged animal, and when 5th round Lawler comes out, oh shit.
Robbie%2BLawler%2BStares%2BDown%2BJohny%2BHendricks%2BAfter%2Bthe%2BBell%2B-%2BUFC%2B181.gif

look at that, Robbie stole Big Rig's soul so bad, he had to crouch down, that's why Hendricks couldn't put a fight w/ Wonderboy, you can't fight w/ no soul

D'yall forget the fight of the fucking year? no Conor and his midget fights, no Ronda humiliation, no it was this
l41lHtOfrfjXQDcoo.gif

Please dear lord tell me wtf this is!, 2 warriors going at it for 25minutes, and again Big Jon is right there, going gat damn, they gonna die!
uPdsKNnVTXhoQ.gif

Wonderboy can surely finish Robbie, however Wonderboy has never been to WAR, Robbie has PTSD he's been to WAR so much, and he loves it!

If this goes to championship rounds, Wonderboy gonna have to kung fu his way outta that coffin.

The fact that he stopped Hendricks' shot shouldn't terrify the division. He used counter straights and kicks from everywhere when Hendicks hesitated to keep Johny from striking to set up the takedown. Takedowns become much easier to stop when you get the luxury of seeing them coming from that far out with no setup.

Lawler presents an entirely different kind of matchup, because he has the ability to drag anyone into a wild brawl. He did it to Condit, he did it to Rory, he did it to Manhoef. Lawler also closes the gap much faster than Johny does. If anyone can get to and stay in the pocket, it's Robbie.
You are right but that is only one side. The other side is that he would be facing one of the most dangerous, technical strikers in the sport and he has absorbed more shots than anyone in the entire company. Let's be honest, Lawler blocks punches with his face, but he gets away with it because he's that tough.

My point was simply that his strength is also Thompsons strength. I don't expect he will have the easiest time taking him down.

Amazing how you managed to bash half of the WW roster in one post while posting with a username that reeks of butthurt Diaz fans.

Also, Hendricks has been stopped by strikes exactly one time. The same amount of times as Robbie. Hardly shows that Hendricks doesn't have the heart or durability of Robbie...

In the words of Gene Wilder "You get nothing, you lose! Good day sir!"
I've seen Lawler take a whole lot more damage than Hendricks and come out on the winning side. When things go downhill for Johny in a fight he tends to lose.

Yes, he hadn't been stopped but he had quit in fights before. He has missed weight and be hospitalised before. He gasses a whole lot more than Lawler too.

Supporting my claims.

I never count anyone out, especially Lawler. But as a matchup it's awful for him. Being completely honest, Lawlers strength is striking and in striking he's a brawler.

The fact that Thompson stopped Hendricks shot relatively easily should terrify the division because I wouldn't count on anyone in the current top 5 being a better striker.

So then Diaz would beat lawler too then? Wonder got beatdown by brown..

So then Diaz would beat lawler too then? Wonder got beatdown by brown..
Lol. If you're gonna use a fight that old I would add that Diaz did KTFO out of Lawler.

Or we could add more mma math and say Hendricks beat Lawler and was dusted in 3 minutes by Thompson?

He has flung himself into the WW elite mix with a strong similarity to the one and only, GSP.

Hasn't been a dark horse in this division like this since his era. Closet it gets it's perhaps Rory.

I'm rooting for Wonderboy, all the way.

Wonderboy went 57-0 in kickboxing and is 12-1 in MMA. (His one loss to the Immortal has since forced him to actually get even better and learn TDD) In combat sports Wonderboy has won 69 out of 70 times. He dismantled one of the best Welters on the planet like it was nothing. Is that a hype train?

Totally understand your premise but I for one have not seen any of his Kickboxing bouts. They could have been over lager louts for all I know. I only comment and bring up stuff that I know to be fact. I've seen ridiculous records in boxing and even in MMA where records are padded. Prime example is a Barao pre-UFC. We talking like 20+ wins against unknowns. Who knows what that even stands for.

First thing; OJ's glove and "The Golden Ticket" are two completely different things. One is from a work of fiction and one is clear cut evidence that OJ murdered his ex wife and her friend/waiter.

Secondly my opinion re Thompson vs Lawler and the hype behind Thompson:

Wonderboy walked thru Hendricks with ease while Lawler had 2 close contests with Hendricks going 1-1. Lawler has weaker wrestling than Hendricks but superior striking. In a straight up striking contest I think Wonderboy takes it more often than Lawler but Thompson has to fear Lawler's power and if Robbie mixes in TD's and clinch work it can open things up. Stylistically Thompson is a bad matchup for Robbie but fights happen in the Octagon not on paper. Many people have counted Robbie out as Champion as he was an underdog vs Rory, Hendricks and maybe even Condit but he has the heart of a Champion.

Wonderboy takes out Lawler 6/10 times IMO.
It's called absurd sarcasm sir. It's meant to have no relation. Gah.

Lol. If you're gonna use a fight that old I would add that Diaz did KTFO out of Lawler.

Or we could add more mma math and say Hendricks beat Lawler and was dusted in 3 minutes by Thompson?

Wonder broke against brown. You surely must admit this. Lawler is war proven. So I would bet he beat wonder. I believe Nick would still beat lawler. He's a bad match up for him.

Last edited:
I would lean slightly toward Stephen in the matchup because he's extremely accurate. But I wouldn't count Robbie out for a second as a long time fan, I think he's an exceptional fighter. All I know is I would be thrilled to see these two awesome representatives of MMA fight. I'd be both happy and sad regardless of the outcome. To me that is what combat sports is all about.

Robbie can definitely win. But he would have to activate beast mode earlier because he cant play the distance game against wonderboy

He's done it before. Round one of Hendricks/Lawler II saw him go into beastmode early.

Don't think he walks through him, but it's Robbie's toughest match up in the division. Robbie has marginally better footwork than Johnny, but not good enough to consistently turn it into his type of fight. Thompson is taller, rangier, more accurate, faster, throws more varied strikes and has far better footwork, but Robbie is probably the best championship rounds fighter in the world. I think either Wonderboy gets in done within 3, or Robbie gets it done over 5. Which way do I lean more towards? Wonderboy.

Back