So Thompson just walks through Lawler, right?

Totally understand your premise but I for one have not seen any of his Kickboxing bouts. They could have been over lager louts for all I know. I only comment and bring up stuff that I know to be fact. I've seen ridiculous records in boxing and even in MMA where records are padded. Prime example is a Barao pre-UFC. We talking like 20+ wins against unknowns. Who knows what that even stands for.

Bro he was no joke in kickboxing. 37-0 as an amateur, 20-0 as a pro, captured multiple world titles.

• 1999 I.S.K.A Georgia State Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.S.K.A Southeast Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F South East Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Middleweight Champion
  • 2000 P.K.C National Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 U.S.A.K.B.F North American Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Light Heavyweight Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F North American Amateur Tournament Light Cruiserweight Champion
  • 2001 P.K.C National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 U.S.A.K.B.F Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2001 W.P.K.A Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.K.F Light Cruiserweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.A.K.S.A Cruiserweight World Champion
  • 2005 W.A.K.O Cruiserweight World Champion

Thompson is so GOAT, i actually sent back my Conor Fight Kit back to Dana so he can dry his tears with it.
Ordering 3 Thompson Fight Kits as we speak; 1 for sleeping, 1 for work, and 1 for special occasions like weddings, funerals and Honda's rematch.

You are right but that is only one side. The other side is that he would be facing one of the most dangerous, technical strikers in the sport and he has absorbed more shots than anyone in the entire company. Let's be honest, Lawler blocks punches with his face, but he gets away with it because he's that tough.

My point was simply that his strength is also Thompsons strength. I don't expect he will have the easiest time taking him down.

That same tired stat doesn't reflect differentiate body/leg strikes, or punches he rolled with, etc etc etc from straight head strikes he absorbed clean. It looks much worse than it actually is.

Wonderboy has been shown to be weak against someone who can drag him down to their level by way of making it a brawl. Robbie is probably the best in the division at doing this, possibly the best in the sport today.

Wonderboy looked great when he was able to keep Johny from coming in, due to Johny's limited skillset as a striker. But when you start pushing the scale the other way, and put him in there with someone else who knows all too well how to control distance, use footwork, and who's durable to eat one to land one if it comes to that. The game changes. I don't think for one second that Robbie is just going to stand there dumbfounded like Johny did if Wonderboy gets into a side stance and throws a side kick or two.

nah, just saying wonderboy will hit him more often and more accurately and get the W & belt.

Lawler isn't a take down threat really.

Wonderboy went 57-0 in kickboxing and is 12-1 in MMA. (His one loss to the Immortal has since forced him to actually get even better and learn TDD) In combat sports Wonderboy has won 69 out of 70 times. He dismantled one of the best Welters on the planet like it was nothing. Is that a hype train?
exactly

He's overrated just like Holly Holm. The recipe for Sherdog overrating a fighter is really simple. They only have to impressively defeat a fighter that Sherdog hates, like Hendricks or Rousey

He has a Puncher's chance. Lawler hits harder than anyone at 170. Manhoef had him dead to rights in elite xc and Lawler killed him with 1 punch.

All I see on Sherdog post event is BS like Thompson should be ranked above Lawler, Thompson walks through Lawler etc. etc. etc. People screaming about Thompson title shot etc.

I was super impressed with Wonderboy, gave him about a 1 in 5 chance of winning that fight - I was really wrong. Hendricks had no excuses, great shape, a lot of rest time etc.

What I have an issue with as a realist firstly and a Lawler die-hard secondly is, why is it clear cut? Why have I not seen one article about Lawler having a chance? Where did this Wonderboy nut-hugging come from? Same place as O.J.'s glove and the golden ticket to the Choco Factory at this stage I guess. Ludicrous!

Hendricks is a very good fighter, but he's an overrated striker. People need to realise that against the top guys, his wrestling is what takes him to the promised land. Even the counter-wrestling against GSP is what made him so affective.

So, I say that to say this. Why is everyone acting like Stephen Thompson smashes other strikers? A Holly Holm'esque Kick Boxing record, where none of us have even watched the fights? Come on...

Are we claiming that Hendricks (Wrestler), Ellenberger (Wrestler), Patrick Cote (low level boxer) and Robert Whittaker (low level boxer) means that he would walk through Lawler?

Let me ask you this. Who even says he beats Condit, Woodley or MacDonald? Their records and resume dwarf his "currently".

So now... what on earth makes you think with zero takedown threat coming the other way that Lawler doesn't eat a few straight and just cracks Wonderboy with a hook or 2? Why wouldn't/couldn't it be a similar fight to Condit? A close, well contested fight. Why has Lawler not got a chance?

Have we even seen Wonderboy's chin?

Wonderboy might smoke Lawler, hey maybe so... but what evidence have we got at this stage? Hendricks who is nowhere near as good of a striker as Lawler, he is not as accurate, not as technical. He hasn't got the chin, heart or durability of Lawler.

Don't be naïve and forget that Hendricks arguably lost to PIERCE and KOSCHECK! People get a little excited about washed journeymen wins like Fitch and Kampmann. Both were nice KO's, beautiful actually. But I reckon Lawler smokes them both too... and where are they now eh? Fitch is dog**** and Kampmann was beat into early retirement.

It's not clear cut... stop acting like it is.

Opinions?
Wonderboy has best chance right now at beating lawler, but nobody walks through Lawler at welterweight.

He's overrated just like Holly Holm. The recipe for Sherdog overrating a fighter is really simple. They only have to impressively defeat a fighter that Sherdog hates, like Hendricks or Rousey

Rousey is a once in a lifetime type athlete bra. A stoner comedian told me.

I'll be shocked if they don't make Thompson vs Lawler for UFC 200

Nobody simply walks through Lawler.

I can see why some think Thompson has a great chance though, his performance against Hendricks was flawless and his style will definitely pose some problems but we've yet to see him take punishment and indulge in the dog-fight Lawler will inevitably make it into at times.

It's crazy, I can't remember the last time a guy came from left-field like Thompson (quietly moving up the ranks picking up good wins but not making huge waves) then all of a sudden, BAM, one incredible performance and he's suddenly a decent pick to win the title! I'd love to see them make this fight, Woodley can fight someone else and get the next shot if he wins.

Hype? I'd say more like reality and the true #1 contender. An elite kickboxer with very good TDD and takedowns of his own is what Thompson now is, a top well rounded MMA fighter, and arguably the best striker in the sport (him and McGregor).

All this begs the question: Is there a bigger threat to any division in the UFC than that of Thompson at 170 pounds?

It’s a frightening time to be a welterweight as long as Thompson continues to demonstrate the improvements that led him to slicing up Hendricks. Witnessing how he covers ground and is acutely accurate with his counterstrikes has certainly put people on notice. Some of the best and most diverse strikers the division has to offer are good at what they do -- Carlos Condit comes to mind -- but it’s arguable that none put it together like Thompson. Unlike Lyoto Machida, who used karate as a means of defense and primarily for counterstriking, Wonderboy’s karate is more like the whirling blades of a helicopter.

Without a St. Pierre double-leg takedown to neutralize Thompson’s striking, who is going to stop Wonderboy from claiming the welterweight title? Current welterweight king Lawler has a penchant for getting into firefights with his opponents; taking them to the mat has never really been his thing. Were he to face Thompson, Lawler would need to add that wrinkle to his repertoire or risk being clinically dissected. There can be little doubt that these two would put on a show, but the question is: Just how much resolve does Lawler have, considering the wars that he’s put his body through? We haven’t seen him slow down yet, but could Thompson be the perfect foil for the “Ruthless” one?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Opinion-Wonderboy-May-Be-UFCs-Most-Dangerous-Man-100051

Last edited:
Wow, the Wonderboy hype train has moved WAY past the Sage hype train.

Robbie's a tough dude to put away this decade. He will forever be haunted by that Diaz KO.

Don't be ridiculous. Beating Johny Hendricks inside one round is earned hype, much unlike Sage's.

Much lulz were had over this one thanks to Jake Ellenberger doubting Thompson's Karate (American Kickboxing) skill.

Team Upstate Karate
Pitch Black MMA

Trainer Firas Zahabi
Ray Thompson
Carlos Machado

Rank 5th degree black belt in Tetsushin Ryu Kempo Karate
1st degree black belt in Tetsu Shin Ryu Ju-Jitsu
Black belt in American Kickboxing
Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Carlos Machado

Years active
2010 – present (MMA)

Kickboxing record
Total
Wins 57
Losses 0
Draws 0

Mixed martial arts record
Total
Wins 12
By knockout 7
By submission 1
By decision 4
Losses 1
By decision 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Thompson_(fighter)

Back