• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So this happened to me this past weekend...

KikoJones

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was promoted to BJJ Black Belt and honored to be my Professor's @marcel_portilho First BJJ Black Belt.
Started at age 45 and I'm now 57. Lot's of ups and downs. Almost quit 3 years ago feeling lost but found an academy with team mates that challenged and encouraged me as well as a coach that understood exactly what I needed. They gave the nickname 'Coroa' with means Crown in Portuguese but slang for 'Old Guy'.
9ceFheXQEP8H7mxDhwXxS1PS8F1aMXN32suz6AIuMLCGkVv1KCs3yVI6rSDM9nidSaUjZgcXiU7Zf5KcyqWV1SEws3ZRol5zwrIHQzDTXAh_stu_bG8to_NDg6Jj6MSA1Cc9cNzWPCRjhobwrZ47PVfPZyeaguwIt54v4OBtLK4vZQWcydLGaHP4JfcVtaTL77o2OeJgIKB9CHr-Ca79NfZH2LXjziu7cbKi6qsDCYrJeiXtj6XbHhHK47YT_KhcUI7x-rR7GYsNNbGudwkXR6l4TieXmeu9w75ljU4DtnZrH9NTKPnUC2vfwkhUzTbzNxgX09mL93lSmHJuygHYMmEOrUJwq2bItnTVKD7fY4mhfwicm0rgQV7UY7scDyvhvk3tRaM8YJd0kAsMrgmrpsTfUj0Zkj2VguYV-ew1apod8SzZ4UUWIVqIUge8_FQ-W9rNouNi5fsg5mhuo8ySn0zWlubg7L2nKn52CnUrzd1A1VsvjFlNblgt9qiyMPtwGkEFMKEpDUyXymvCobKu2i6qIuh5Xrl7-HYiGq5QGnhTqxb4D7l41T5aZH1I5SeLjlWUZRcMiPYv0HcMcR5d_H6Yq9INydqE6cQ77Y9jkkAVsGspLh3Fv2AIq0DTnzaQaU8V8P2J3VaDsvAsKehS0oblNr74rYkTv9Z9HHWmwWvHc0EDu8UH9pPokTSpTF2sC99kBOYPqPfmcYIp7MZNrysdmxsc8Q68cqmDQwRpV2Ql7DZPC4VJPw5X5-xE3-V4mq0nooh37X6tIwAX89txsO_e0ksXmUiR1HLfQkmKhf7HRHgu-Q4ngU-4ul4ZYkfYyQ59ytOL6IYMYyfGQQE53DUwjSj3PY_AwljO1CAAuenfzwaUdxaEpMswr2gaeIrXcej9zwoOlusqFcj3KSt8zN9lyzJM_WeWphwg7aG7O9gA-xIA=w1200-h1600-no

Congratulations! I hope to still be at it in my 50s. Thank you for the motivation.

Congrats, man, great to see this. As another 50-something trying to come back after an injury, this is just what I needed to see.

Nice! I'm 44, been purple for four years, haven't really trained in the past year... Building a new company up right now, but once it's rolling, I'm getting hella stem cell injections and all the privates with top notch guys I can squeeze in. Hopefully I'll hit black before 57 lmao but whatever it takes!

@KikoJones you've been a quality poster through the years and I'm glad to share this space with you.

Congratulations!

I’ve always enjoyed your posts over the years.

As a black belt in his mid-forties, it’s refreshing to see someone older than me still at it.

Welcome to the club.

Don't let this guy fool you. He looks 30 and he's friends with me in real life so that automatically makes him immature.

Congratulations! You guys are in Florida right? 49 yr old black belt and I’ll be in Orlando in February is your school close to Orlando?

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Everyone asks me how I'm feeling. I tell them I don't look down so I don't know its there. :)

Congratulations! You guys are in Florida right? 49 yr old black belt and I’ll be in Orlando in February is your school close to Orlando?
The academy where I train is in St. Cloud, Fl, just south of Orlando. It's about 15 min from the venue IBJJF uses for Pans and Orlando Open. I'm actually moving to Sarasota at the end of January for a new job but the academy is super friendly and welcomes everyone.

MJN Journey Jiu-Jitsu
915 Florida Ave, St Cloud, FL 34769

I was promoted to BJJ Black Belt and honored to be my Professor's @marcel_portilho First BJJ Black Belt.
Started at age 45 and I'm now 57. Lot's of ups and downs. Almost quit 3 years ago feeling lost but found an academy with team mates that challenged and encouraged me as well as a coach that understood exactly what I needed. They gave the nickname 'Coroa' with means Crown in Portuguese but slang for 'Old Guy'.
9ceFheXQEP8H7mxDhwXxS1PS8F1aMXN32suz6AIuMLCGkVv1KCs3yVI6rSDM9nidSaUjZgcXiU7Zf5KcyqWV1SEws3ZRol5zwrIHQzDTXAh_stu_bG8to_NDg6Jj6MSA1Cc9cNzWPCRjhobwrZ47PVfPZyeaguwIt54v4OBtLK4vZQWcydLGaHP4JfcVtaTL77o2OeJgIKB9CHr-Ca79NfZH2LXjziu7cbKi6qsDCYrJeiXtj6XbHhHK47YT_KhcUI7x-rR7GYsNNbGudwkXR6l4TieXmeu9w75ljU4DtnZrH9NTKPnUC2vfwkhUzTbzNxgX09mL93lSmHJuygHYMmEOrUJwq2bItnTVKD7fY4mhfwicm0rgQV7UY7scDyvhvk3tRaM8YJd0kAsMrgmrpsTfUj0Zkj2VguYV-ew1apod8SzZ4UUWIVqIUge8_FQ-W9rNouNi5fsg5mhuo8ySn0zWlubg7L2nKn52CnUrzd1A1VsvjFlNblgt9qiyMPtwGkEFMKEpDUyXymvCobKu2i6qIuh5Xrl7-HYiGq5QGnhTqxb4D7l41T5aZH1I5SeLjlWUZRcMiPYv0HcMcR5d_H6Yq9INydqE6cQ77Y9jkkAVsGspLh3Fv2AIq0DTnzaQaU8V8P2J3VaDsvAsKehS0oblNr74rYkTv9Z9HHWmwWvHc0EDu8UH9pPokTSpTF2sC99kBOYPqPfmcYIp7MZNrysdmxsc8Q68cqmDQwRpV2Ql7DZPC4VJPw5X5-xE3-V4mq0nooh37X6tIwAX89txsO_e0ksXmUiR1HLfQkmKhf7HRHgu-Q4ngU-4ul4ZYkfYyQ59ytOL6IYMYyfGQQE53DUwjSj3PY_AwljO1CAAuenfzwaUdxaEpMswr2gaeIrXcej9zwoOlusqFcj3KSt8zN9lyzJM_WeWphwg7aG7O9gA-xIA=w1200-h1600-no

I'm sorry for keeping this thread alive but wanted to share some feelings. Everyone continues to ask how it feels to have finally been awarded my Black Belt and to be honest if feels kinda, Meh. I felt the same way after I finished my 20 years and retired from the Navy. Same when I finished my Bachelor. When I won Gold Master Worlds in 2016, 2020 and Silver in 2022. Now this. Don't get me wrong, lots of people gave me props but I was like, "Thanks".
So I asked the All Knowing Oracle, Google, and a pretty good article in Inc Magazine came up: Why You Might Feel Empty After Reaching a Huge Goal (and How to Move On) That blue feeling you get after achievement is actually pretty normal (and fixable).
I've been trying to figure out why I gain little pleasure from my accomplishments. Not sure if its part of my ADD or that I've didn't really receive much encouragement from my parents. Every achievement was met with "that's nice but you're supposed to work hard". Add in the belief to "Stay humble" so I down play my accomplishments so I don't look like a douche. My fraternal brother is terrible at that, every accomplishment even those that are not his, he tries to find a thread where he might have had something to do with it and lets you know about it. It lights my ass.

Anyway, am I alone? How do you handle reaching your goals? Am I overthinking this?

Last edited:
I'm sorry for keeping this thread alive but wanted to share some feelings. Everyone continues to ask how it feels to have finally been awarded my Black Belt and to be honest if feels kinda, Meh. I felt the same way after I finished my 20 years and retired from the Navy. Same when I finished my Bachelor. When I won Gold Master Worlds in 2016, 2020 and Silver in 2022. Now this. Don't get me wrong, lots of people gave me props but I was like, "Thanks".
So I asked the All Knowing Oracle, Google, and a pretty good article in Inc Magazine came up: Why You Might Feel Empty After Reaching a Huge Goal (and How to Move On) That blue feeling you get after achievement is actually pretty normal (and fixable).
I've been trying to figure out why I gain little pleasure from my accomplishments. Not sure if its part of my ADD or that I've didn't really receive much encouragement from my parents. Every achievement was met with "that's nice but you're supposed to work hard". Add in the belief to "Stay humble" so I down play my accomplishments so I don't look like a douche. My fraternal brother is terrible at that, every accomplishment even those that are not his, he tries to find a thread where he might have had something to do with it and lets you know about it. It lights my ass.

Anyway, am I alone? How do you handle reaching your goals? Am I overthinking this?

Principle of life my friend. Nothing new under the son.

John 4 13
13Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

I like what Chuck Smith says:

Jesus said to the woman, "If you're going to drink of this water, you're going to thirst again." That can be said of every physical experience that you might possess or seek or find.

There are always those who feel, "If I could just..." and you fill in the blank. "...then I would be happy and satisfied." What's in your blank? "If I just had blank, I would be satisfied and happy!" It seems that man is always setting out a goal or a thing whereby he feels that, "If I could just achieve, if I could just attain, if I could just have, then I would be satisfied. I wouldn't be thirsty any more!" Jesus said, "Not so! You drink of this water and you will thirst again."

Now, you ought to be able to prove that in your own mind, because surely in times past, you have set those temporary goals that you felt, "If I could just have a new bicycle I wouldn't want anything again as long as I live." I know there was a time when I lusted after a bicycle. And I thought, "If I could just have that bicycle, oh, I would just be so happy. I would never want anything again as long as I lived." And, I got that bicycle. But it wasn't long before..."If I just had a speedometer on this bicycle, I wouldn't want anything again, you know." And then, "If I just had a headlight with a generator, oh, I would never want anything again." So, there have been those intermediate goals that I have achieved and attained, but you know what? I thirsted again. They didn't fully satisfy me. As Jesus said, "Drink of this water, you're going to thirst again." And it has been true in my life, as I have achieved those goals, those intermediate goals that I had established, and I thought, "Oh, if I could just have," and I then had, but it didn't satisfy. I thirsted again. But Jesus said, "If you drink of the water that I give, you'll never thirst again. It'll be like a well just springing up inside of you."

....with all that said, congratulations on the black belt. It's a goal I too would like to obtain but in the end, it means nothing. We'll be dead soon. In 2 generations We'll be most likely forgotten by even our own family.

Read the book of ecclesiasties sometime and his adventure through life. He'd accomplish these goals- tons of women, tons of money , rich ... had it all. But was still missing something. And that he was pursuing life outside of God's will.

Last edited:
Congratz Kiko!

I'm in a downslope myself, been there for a couple of years regarding BJJ. I have the same approach you did, where the big achievements aren't celebrated. In my case, introversion plays a huge role.

Nevertheless, be careful with those pesky Brazilians and their nicknames. The "Coroa" thingy could also be a play on baldness as in they can see the crown of your head <AckbarTrap>

So essentially what you're coming into Kiko, is the paradox of expectation.

We tell ourselves shit like hard work pays off.

And then you work your ass off, and lo and behold, the hard work paid off.

And it's a big deal, but it's not a big deal to you, because you knew this was the result of the work you put in to mastering this craft.

Now, there are some interesting comments above.

In my opinion you don't need Jesus (or even Buddha) you need to admit to yourself that the process was worth it. The day to day training was worth it, and still is.

The destination wasn't the point, it's just a measuring stick. Found worthy or not, the process, the journey was everything.

You don't have to step out of that if you don't want to.

Black belt is just the beginning of mastery.

I wish you a long journey filled with joy on the path.

Congratz Kiko!

I'm in a downslope myself, been there for a couple of years regarding BJJ. I have the same approach you did, where the big achievements aren't celebrated. In my case, introversion plays a huge role.

Nevertheless, be careful with those pesky Brazilians and their nicknames. The "Coroa" thingy could also be a play on baldness as in they can see the crown of your head <AckbarTrap>

Man don't even worry about that shit.

Wreck those fools until they whisper "Coroa" in hushed tones, then start telling each other about your exploits when you walk away.

"Bro Coroa taught me this reversal, it's crazy. "

Man don't even worry about that shit.

Wreck those fools until they whisper "Coroa" in hushed tones, then start telling each other about your exploits when you walk away.

"Bro Coroa taught me this reversal, it's crazy. "

This lol. But I also think "Coroa" is pretty tame by Brazilian nickname standards. The gym I train at is run by Brazilians and from what I've seen, if the nickname they give you isn't insulting or ridiculous in some way, you're not doing it right. The nickname they gave me around blue basically has a connotation of "white belt spaz who sucks at jiu jitsu."

This lol. But I also think "Coroa" is pretty tame by Brazilian nickname standards. The gym I train at is run by Brazilians and from what I've seen, if the nickname they give you isn't insulting or ridiculous in some way, you're not doing it right. The nickname they gave me around blue basically has a connotation of "white belt spaz who sucks at jiu jitsu."
my professors nickname is, “Pega leve” (take it easy). Big bear of a man who was very enthusiastic about jiu jitsu and rolling. Still is, honestly.

Back