• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So this happened to me this past weekend...

This lol. But I also think "Coroa" is pretty tame by Brazilian nickname standards. The gym I train at is run by Brazilians and from what I've seen, if the nickname they give you isn't insulting or ridiculous in some way, you're not doing it right. The nickname they gave me around blue basically has a connotation of "white belt spaz who sucks at jiu jitsu."

Our head instructor's instructor is Paolo "Coelho" Brandao. Won worlds at the first IBJJF world championships back in 96. Outstanding technical detail, black belt since forever under Royler.

Coelho means bunny and was a reference to his big front teeth when he was young. He's said he used to hate it, but by the time people were shouting it as a cheer at worlds and beyond he was wearing it as a badge of honor.

my professors nickname is, “Pega leve” (take it easy). Big bear of a man who was very enthusiastic about jiu jitsu and rolling. Still is, honestly.

Our head instructor's instructor is Paolo "Coelho" Brandao. Won worlds at the first IBJJF world championships back in 96. Outstanding technical detail, black belt since forever under Royler.

Coelho means bunny and was a reference to his big front teeth when he was young. He's said he used to hate it, but by the time people were shouting it as a cheer at worlds and beyond he was wearing it as a badge of honor.

The best one I've heard is Igor "Fat Ninja" Tanabe who tapped Melvin Manhoef last week. Japanese Brazilian. There's an Eduardo Telles interview where he gets asked about him (right before he won IBJJF worlds at purple) and Telles is like, "You mean Fat Ninja? Yeah he's kind of fat, but he's a ninja. Fat Ninja!"

Yeah, I don't sweat the nickname. Especially when I tap people out, they're like "Fucking Coroa!" They know that anything under the nose is the Chin and shin in the throat is legal. :)

Back