So... Objectively, how good was Tyron really?

He was the #1 ranked WW for almost 3 years, defended 3 times, retained once. Puts him as the 3rd greatest WW behind GSP and Hughes. Has enough depth on his record as well.

Shields has a stronger record, but wasn't #1 at any point (but his prime was also during GSP's), so that could go either way.

Last edited:
A 1-time champion. Who in the blue hell made up this imaginary thing of every time you defend the title, it's like you won the title again?

You didn't win it, you defended it. That isn't becoming a champion again.... you already are.

He's a 1-time champ. lol
What a moronic argument to plant your flag on lol. However you want to say it, the guy was won 4 championship fights. All I did was recognize that accomplishment. You felt the need to argue against that statement of fact for... what reason exactly? Absolute idiocy lol

4-1-1 in UFC title fights, #3 best UFC WW of all time, he was damn good despite playing conservative.
It happens that fighters get exposed and are no longer championship material

What a moronic argument to plant your flag on lol. However you want to say it, the guy was won 4 championship fights. All I did was recognize that accomplishment. You felt the need to argue against that statement of fact for... what reason exactly? Absolute idiocy lol
Not sure why you're so mad that I corrected your factually incorrect statement. He won the title once. He retained it every time after that. You need to have it taken from you 3 times to become a 4-time champion....

Settle down, Beavis.

Dude took 15 months off and looked like it.

Stop obssessing about fighters "legacies" and just enjoy the fights.

No he shouldnt.
Usman has less top 10 wins and title defenses.
It depends which criteria you use to determine who is better.

Usman was a better MMA record 16-1 vs 19-5-1 of Woodley.
Also better UFC record 11-0 vs 9-4-1 of Woodley.
Longest UFC win streak 11 vs 6 of Woodley.
Usman beat the shit out of him in their fight for 5 rounds.
Usmans wins are way more dominant, compared to Woodley’s split decisions and draws.
Their 5 best wins are quite equal

Woodley, Colby, Maia, RDA, Edwards
vs
Lawler, Wonderboy, Till, Maia, Condit

Woodley’s title fights look way better on first look than in they really are.
He got an undeserved ts against Robbie after whinnying for 1,5 years and a split decision win over KG.
2 of his title defences were against Wonderboy and you could easily make an argument he lost both of them

Usman is better than Woodley

He was a boring fighter and as soon as he became the champ the dude just wanted champ status, didn’t seem like an eager fighter looking to make a legacy. Overall I barely think of him in any top fighter talks.

It depends which criteria you use to determine who is better.

Usman was a better MMA record 16-1 vs 19-5-1 of Woodley.
Also better UFC record 11-0 vs 9-4-1 of Woodley.
Longest UFC win streak 11 vs 6 of Woodley.
Usman beat the shit out of him in their fight for 5 rounds.
Usmans wins are way more dominant, compared to Woodley’s split decisions and draws.
Their 5 best wins are quite equal

Woodley, Colby, Maia, RDA, Edwards
vs
Lawler, Wonderboy, Till, Maia, Condit

Woodley’s title fights look way better on first look than in they really are.
He got an undeserved ts against Robbie after whinnying for 1,5 years and a split decision win over KG.
2 of his title defences were against Wonderboy and you could easily make an argument he lost both of them

Usman is better than Woodley

Woodley has faced a higher level of competition than Usman has, he also has more ranked wins and more title defense. If you base GOAT lists off accomplishments and resume's like most people and not single fights Woodley is better. The only thing Usman has on Woodley is he won their one on one fight.

Those numbers you are throwing around mean nothing if you don't include the level of competition they faced and Woodley's level of competition is significantly higher than Usman's.

Since 2012 Woodley has faced 14 top 10 opponents and is 8-5-1. Usman has faced top 10 opponents since 2018, has only fought 4 top 10 fighters ever and is 4-0. Usman will lose more fights too as he gets older. Like I said there's a massive difference in the level of competition Usman has faced compared to Woodley, he's also fought for way less years and isn't past his prime like Woodley is now.

Last edited:
He was the #1 ranked WW for almost 3 years, defended 3 times, retained once. Puts him as the 3rd greatest WW behind GSP and Hughes. Has enough depth on his record as well.

Shields has a stronger record, but wasn't #1 at any point (but his prime was also during GSP's), so that could go either way.

I have the top 5 as
GSP
Hughes
Woodley
Lawler
Shields

There is an argument for Hendricks at 5th but I put Shields over him due to having more top wins and being a top WW for much longer.

Reactions: MCS
He is 38, and still looked like a machine. His only problem his whole career is being tentative. Excellent fighter, and one of the welterweight goats.

Fought Kelvin Gastelum who went on to fight for the middle weight belt essentially.

Beat Lawler who beat up the best/top version of Rory and Hendricks

Beat Wonderboy and Maia who were both top tier fights in the division at the time.

Beat Tills.. who may or may not be a great win IDK.

I miss the old days of 2018 Sherdog when Tyron destroys any version of GSP. As with everything once the champ loses people come out of the woodwork.

Woodley has faced a higher level of competition than Usman has, he also has more ranked wins and more title defense. If you base GOAT lists off accomplishments and resume's like most people and not single fights Woodley is better. The only thing Usman has on Woodley is he won their one on one fight.

Those numbers you are throwing around mean nothing if you don't include the level of competition they faced and Woodley's level of competition is significantly higher than Usman's.
Lawler's right there as well. Sakurai was before my time so I have a hard time placing him (for sure). Yet he was a top guy. Where would you put him?

Lawler's right there as well. Sakurai was before my time so I have a hard time placing him (for sure). Yet he was a top guy. Where would you put him?

I think I would put Sakurai in the 8-10 range. I think I would put Condit at like 7th behind Hendricks at 6th.

Reactions: MCS
So two of the most elite strikers in the UFC (Wonder Boy and Till) and one of the most elite BJJ practitioners in the UFC (Maia) is weak opposition now?
<36>
LMAO again, Sherdog is gonna Sherdog. Look, if you're not a fan of Woodley or his style that's fine, but don't pretend that he only defended his belt against bums just because you don't like the guy. I'm not a fan of Colby Covington, but you don't see me going around pretending that he isn't an elite fighter or that he isn't one of the best Welterweights in the world because that would be just plain ignorance on my part.

You literally just called Till one of the most elite strikers in the UFC? Go to bed. There’s hugging and then there’s delusion. You’ve clearly crossed the line at this point.

Since 2012 Woodley has faced 14 top 10 opponents and is 8-5-1. Usman has faced top 10 opponents since 2018, has only fought 4 top 10 fighters ever and is 4-0. Usman will lose more fights too as he gets older. Like I said there's a massive difference in the level of competition Usman has faced compared to Woodley, he's also fought for way less years and isn't past his prime like Woodley is now.

Don’t even start this prime bullshit. Woodley was 3-2 in his first 5 UFC fights and 2-2 against top10 guys. He never did good against well rounded guys who would pressure him ( like Rory and KG).

Usman also holds a win over Edwards which you didn’t count as top10 but he definitely is a top10 guy.
And there isn’t a massive difference in their competition. Their 5 best wins are about the same level. Sure Woodley has a bit more wins, but he also has a shitload of loses. He didn’t look too good in many of his wins though-
Split decision vs KG
Majority win vs Wonderboy
and knee injury against Condit

You literally just called Till one of the most elite strikers in the UFC? Go to bed. There’s hugging and then there’s delusion. You’ve clearly crossed the line at this point.
Till is 44-0 as a kickboxer, and he was 17-0 as a MMA fighter until the Woodley fight. Like Till or not but there is only a handful people on the same level or better than him from a pure striking standpoint (Wonder Boy, Adesanya, maybe Conor, Anderson, although he is past his prime, Barboza) now is there better overall fighters than Darren Till? Yes, but from a pure striking standpoint there are few that are better than him. Till would destroy Woodley in a Muay Thai fight for example.

What’s so funny about that? He’s definitely top10 and maybe even top5. Who are better strikers than him? Izzy, Anderson and Conor for sure, but who else?

Back