so now that Charles Oliveira has been cleared...

cgold21

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
No major throat, neck or chest injuries.. so what the hell actually happened to him and when will he be back..

He was in pain so he quit. How dare you question a fighters heart.he said he felt like half of his body was paralyzed.Do you expect a professional fighter to fight through that type of pain even though he wasn't injured?

He was in pain so he quit. How dare you question a fighters heart.he said he felt like half of his body was paralyzed.Do you expect a professional fighter to fight through that type of pain even though he wasn't injured?

^ Charles mom confirmed

He was clearly playing it safe. Many people come to an abrupt stop in action when they think they severely injured themselves. It's a mental thing, like when you think you tore your acl or any ligament. You start using it gingerly, then after you get diagnosed and it turns out to be nothing, you just go about your business. He basically tapped out because he though something was wrong with his body. Some people just aren't mentally tough and quit when things get tough.

He was thinking about his health. If you were in the middle of a sanctioned cage fight and felt an intense pain in the inside of your throat, you would probably be in a bit of a shock and want to stop fighting too. This thread is ridiculous....as is the recent notion that Oliveira lacks heart.

This isn't even a butthurt Oliveira fan talking. I am a huge fan of Holloway. But come on, guys! He's taken all precautions, now he is cleared. Let's have a rematch and not bad mouth either fighter.

TS may not even mean anything by his original post, but I am just concerned about arm chair warriors coming into this thread like I've seen in others and basically say Oliveira is a quitter.

He was clearly playing it safe. Many people come to an abrupt stop in action when they think they severely injured themselves. It's a mental thing, like when you think you tore your acl or any ligament. You start using it gingerly, then after you get diagnosed and it turns out to be nothing, you just go about your business. He basically tapped out because he though something was wrong with his body. Some people just aren't mentally tough and quit when things get tough.

maybe in that moment he couldnt fight tho. even an ill timed charlie horse can ruin someone for like 10 min lol

Yes that was the early diagnosis, but turns out not the case.
Cleared of all major injuries

didn't they say it was a micro tear?

You don't see guys just give up for no reason. It was pretty clear to me he wasn't in any shape to continue.

This guy gets it.

I wonder if it was anything like this

tumblr_masix8U5BX1rrwwgco2_500.gif

People act like professional fighters have never quit suspiciously or looked for a way out in a fight. I've seen in many times in boxing and mma over the years. Most fighters don't have the you have to kill me to beat me mentality as fighters of the past.
Fans support fighters who quit in mma. Boxers get shamed

There is a difference between a fight getting tough and thinking you might have caused MAJOR harm to your body. Bronx has been in tough battles before, no reason to think he couldn't gut it out unless it was very serious at the time.

he certainly didn't look good. Strange time for the fight to just leave him. Something happened. Glad no major injuries. Let's give him another go and be happy he is ok.

By the way, AWFUL fucking response time for the cage side physicians when a fighter appears to be motioning to his left arm and slinks to the ground. Sweet bejebus, what else are they there for but to save a life when necessary?

EDIT:

and I'm short about 86,000 vcash...how I'm supposed to pay my vrent?

That's the mentality that will get you killed for something stupid. I know this because I let something slide that would have killed most people.

It's a tough one. I like Olivera. but he has broken under pressure before in both the Cerrone fight and Swanson fight. He showed some heart in the Edgar fight, but Edgar doesn't hit as hard. I dunno. I looks like he got hurt and thought "fuck that".

Should note though. A Throat injury is fucking scary. I don't think that many of the people calling him on it would be able to fight on in that kind of pain not knowing what was going on with their body

Well apparently this isn't a popular opinion on sherdog (although I felt vindicated when I saw later that Rogan & co. expressed similar feelings on the fight companion podcast, and Bisping and the Fox analysts also agreed with me) but...

I saw very clearly that Oliveira was outmatched, it was a horrible style matchup for him, he was getting tooled even though the fight was very short, and the last thing he did before he got injured (or at least thought he did) was shoot a desperation takedown...

So I just can't rule out a mental will to keep fighting issue on this one. I just can't rule it out. I think he really felt a weird pain, I just also think there's at least a substantial chance that the pain came from a mental place as much as a physical one.

Back