So is Teddy Atlas as tough as he says?

No doubt, Mike's no angel, never has been. Tyson was what? 15-16 when he supposedly tried something with his niece. Pulling a freaking gun on him was both a gross overreaction and a chicken shit move from a supposed "tough guy." At the end of the day, a grown man should be able to mind fuck a 15 year old boy, i don't care how "tough" he might be. and by all accounts mike loved Cus so Teddy had an angle to play despite him constantly harping about how Cus was easy on Mike. Nonsense.

You don't get a teen aged street kid to the Heavyweight title by being a limp dick. I'm sure Cus was plenty strict. Was he perfect?Probably not. But he kept him out of jail, on the straight and narrow, and got him to the brass ring. That's a damned good better than a lot of fathers, much less glorified father figures.

You make good points.

Tougher....
Atlas had a prime crazy-assed 1990s Tyson terrified for his life.

Interesting take. Though I've heard Tyson say that Teddy had been threatening forever to have his "mob" connections take out Tyson and yet nothing ever happened. Are we sure Teddy is as ruthless and well-connected as he lets on?

Interesting take. Though I've heard Tyson say that Teddy had been threatening forever to have his "mob" connections take out Tyson and yet nothing ever happened. Are we sure Teddy is as ruthless and well-connected as he lets on?

In his memoirs Atlas told the story of how he once had to pacify Tyson. He grabbed Tyson and shoulder pressed him (military press style) above his head and made Tyson apologize before he put him back on the ground.

In his memoirs Atlas told the story of how he once had to pacify Tyson. He grabbed Tyson and shoulder pressed him (military press style) above his head and made Tyson apologize before he put him back on the ground.

I just can't believe that's true. Atlas was a twig at that time.

I don't know, man. Will suspend judgement.

risky.... but I have to respect your apprehension.

For what it’s worth: Atlas isn’t his real last name. he got that last name because of the load he bore on his shoulders... the military pressing of Mike Tyson.

risky.... but I have to respect your apprehension.

For what it’s worth: Atlas isn’t his real last name. he got that last name because of the load he bore on his shoulders... the military pressing of Mike Tyson.

Lol, wow so many layers to this...

I'm sick of people questioning Atlas, if the man says he's a goddamned fireman, then by God he's a fire man.

I tend to share the same thoughts. I don't like Mike Tyson, but there's something annoying about Atlas going on every media venue he can and making big money off his stories about Tyson. Although, if Tyson really did make sexual advances towards Atlas' 11-year old niece, this may negate my feelings. A mixed bag.

I believe Tyson admitted he did.

Atlas trained as an amateur boxer with Hall of Fame trainer Cus D'Amato. He had some amateur fights but had to turn to work as a trainer due to a back injury. Atlas was an assistant to D'Amato, although his role in the Catskill Boxing Club was short-lived. His duties included assisting in the training of D'Amato's teenage protégé Mike Tyson. However, Atlas left the camp in 1982 following an altercation with the 15-year-old Tyson after Tyson had been sexually inappropriate with an 11-year-old female relative of Atlas' (Tyson said he had grabbed the girl's buttocks). Atlas put a .38 caliber handgun to Tyson's ear and told him to never touch his family again, or he would kill him if he did.[3]This altercation between Atlas and a young Mike Tyson led to Atlas' dismissal from the Catskill Boxing Club, and he was told he was no longer welcome in D'Amato's home or around any of his adopted children (his fighters whom he had legally adopted, Tyson included).

They were legit back then. He had legit connections to Sammy The Bull Gravano. Trained him and his son. Also, turned down some mob deals. Sammy has confirmed this.
Teddy worked out of Gleason's gym. Which is famous for being filled with some of the biggest gangster/mobsters and tough guys in New York.

However, they fell out and have an online podcast feud now. Lol

* another cool story Sammy told was John Gotti ordered him to have Don King killed for refusing to fix a Tyson fight I believe.
Don King was so feared and connected in that world that Sammy and the hit man both refused to do anything to King. In fact the triggerman left town and the mob never to be heard from again.

Last edited:
People keep characterizing Tyson as some misguided troubled kid....
It was much worse than that.
He was strong arm robbing elderly ladies
He was committing home invasions
Been to jail and that didnt work
Threatening and physically assaulting teachers
And he was grouping/molesting an 11 year old girl at 16.
Think about having your driver's license then going to like a 5th grade playground to get girls. "Consensual" or not.

That is more than just your normal misguided bad kid. Far more.

Don King was so feared and connected in that world that Sammy and the hit man both refused to do anything to King. In fact the triggerman left town and the mob never to be heard from again.
Feared? No.
The kid was an associate, who knew that if he shot Don King, he would go to jail since Don King was a big name at the time.
Had nothing to do with "Fear". It more had to do with not killing Don King simply because he didnt want to fix a fight.
Sam told Gotti we cant kill everyone who doesn't want to do business with us.
Now had Don said Yes and then didnt follow through? He wouldve been shot and killed.
Don wielded no fear on the Mob.

Feared? No.
The kid was an associate, who knew that if he shot Don King, he would go to jail since Don King was a big name at the time.
Had nothing to do with "Fear". It more had to do with not killing Don King simply because he didnt want to fix a fight.
Sam told Gotti we cant kill everyone who doesn't want to do business with us.
Now had Don said Yes and then didnt follow through? He wouldve been shot and killed.
Don wielded no fear on the Mob.
I'm sure it's both.
You should look into some Don King vs. Bob Arum info....Documented FBI instances.

You know there is more than one mob right not just different italian families and fractions?
King killed 2 people himself and got off for one and a pardon for the 2nd. Hes as well connected and protected as anyone

I've never had the patience to listen long enough to teddy to actually hear a story or him make a point.

I'm sure it's both.
You should look into some Don King vs. Bob Arum info....Documented FBI instances.

You know there is more than one mob right not just different italian families and fractions?
King killed 2 people himself and got off for one and a pardon for the 2nd. Hes as well connected and protected as anyone
Compared to John Gotti?

I believe Tyson admitted he did.

Atlas trained as an amateur boxer with Hall of Fame trainer Cus D'Amato. He had some amateur fights but had to turn to work as a trainer due to a back injury. Atlas was an assistant to D'Amato, although his role in the Catskill Boxing Club was short-lived. His duties included assisting in the training of D'Amato's teenage protégé Mike Tyson. However, Atlas left the camp in 1982 following an altercation with the 15-year-old Tyson after Tyson had been sexually inappropriate with an 11-year-old female relative of Atlas' (Tyson said he had grabbed the girl's buttocks). Atlas put a .38 caliber handgun to Tyson's ear and told him to never touch his family again, or he would kill him if he did.[3]This altercation between Atlas and a young Mike Tyson led to Atlas' dismissal from the Catskill Boxing Club, and he was told he was no longer welcome in D'Amato's home or around any of his adopted children (his fighters whom he had legally adopted, Tyson included).

I don't know, in one fairly recent interview I saw, Tyson said he didn't do it and that Teddy held the gun to him because he blamed Tyson for Cus's kicking him out of the boxing club. Not sure whom to believe, but neither one of these guys strikes me as particularly believable.

I don't know, in one fairly recent interview I saw, Tyson said he didn't do it and that Teddy held the gun to him because he blamed Tyson for Cus's kicking him out of the boxing club. Not sure whom to believe, but neither one of these guys strikes me as particularly believable.
Tyson also tells a some what recent story of apologizing to Teddy. So sounds like its true

I thought Cus kicked him out because he pulled the gun on Tyson though.

Back