So... I'm crap from the mount.

Lately when I get mount I try to stay there until what I'm doing qualifies as stalling. I figure if I can keep the position when I'm not attacking and my training partner is able to focus purely on escaping and not on defending submissions, then I will be able to keep it easily when I'm distracting him with attacks. Personally I feel much more comfortable working from side control. It's hard for me to stop the guy from regaining half guard when he's mounted unless he's tired.

watch trumpetdan's mount series. his instruction on roger's choke really changes my mount game.

great thread. my mount stinks as well, but I'll be working on that.

Yeah I couldn't find another thread on it so I just assumed I was the only one who sucked. :redface:

I roll No Gi so I don't have half the attacks from the mount Gi players do. No collar chokes or any of that, but this thread has really helped me out.

my coach always tells us to work the collar when you get the mount. left hand slides into his left collar, your head to the right, your right arm posting. that's the safe position and already one third into a collar choke.

if he tries to pull your hand out, he's opening his elbows for armbars. if he doesn't he's letting you set up the choke.

also, when all else fails i just leave mount and go knee on belly if i'm really looking for a finish. but i mean really if you're mounting someone and they just lock up they're still losing in every imaginable way. to escape they need to open up and you can catch them.

I try to go for collar chokes a lot from mount, but i end up constantly fighting not getting rolled.

I try to go for collar chokes a lot from mount, but i end up constantly fighting not getting rolled.

so do i, man.

but i guess that's part of the process. at first everyone and their mother rolled me over, now only the better guys at the gym do. and everyone opens up when they try it so you can go for armbars and whatnot.

still, i know what you mean. sometimes i've worked so hard to get the mount, i'm exhausted and just wanna finish with the choke and get rolled over while working for it. frustrating as hell.

Back