So... I'm crap from the mount.

AgonyandIrony

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, I'm not bad at transitioning to the mount but once I get there, the guy always has super tight defense and I'm just sort of sitting there trying to pry the arm open with my shoulder for the arm triangle.

I feel much much safer when I'm on my back.

Am I BJJ Tarded? Any pointers for how to be more dominant from the mount?

learn to master the mount with hooks in and attacks i.e ezekiel.

high mount and S mount as well and a variety of attacks from the mount.

a single arm triangle attack from mount is just not enough.

Yes stay high and also try to either spin to a armbar cause even if he has his hands clasped u can u a arm crush like Soto did to Jason dent. Or try to single out a arm to try to pass your leg over for a triangle when he rolls over. But if your doing GI just Collar chokes and Ezekial chokes you should drill there simple and very effective

I like to do the scissor choke to open up the arms with Gi. Also you can jam your forearm deep into his throat. You can also grapevine his legs which can be painful sometimes.

^ This.

Have a wider range of attacks from mount. The armtriangle in itself is not enough..
If he is to tight, transition to S mount, or T mount to make him open up a little. Attack the neck for the cross choke or ezekial..
My favourite is go to S mount, and work from there. It sucks for the person in the bottom cuz its hard to feel safe in that position.. you have so many options from Smount- armbar, kimura, triangle etc

learn to master the mount with hooks in and attacks i.e ezekiel.

high mount and S mount as well and a variety of attacks from the mount.

a single arm triangle attack from mount is just not enough.

Thanks and I agree, I can armbar from the mount but I never feel confident, I hit one yesterday for the first time because I finally quit posting on my left leg when attacking his left arm.

my bottom game is a lot more sound than my top, which is ironic considering I wrestled in HS.

Sorry i meant to quote lecheiens post.. not the guy's above me. Dont jam your forearm into the throat lol

^ This.

Have a wider range of attacks from mount. The armtriangle in itself is not enough..
If he is to tight, transition to S mount, or T mount to make him open up a little. Attack the neck for the cross choke or ezekial..
My favourite is go to S mount, and work from there. It sucks for the person in the bottom cuz its hard to feel safe in that position.. you have so many options from Smount- armbar, kimura, triangle etc

Thanks, the hardest part for me is to open his arms up, he keeps them in insanely tight which is why I always try to pry one of them open with my shoulder, problem is I tend to displace my weight, opening for a sweep.

Thanks and I agree, I can armbar from the mount but I never feel confident, I hit one yesterday for the first time because I finally quit posting on my left leg when attacking his left arm.

my bottom game is a lot more sound than my top, which is ironic considering I wrestled in HS.

I know BB that rather attack from side control than mount.

sometines it is just a matter of personnal choice as well.

Sorry i meant to quote lecheiens post.. not the guy's above me. Dont jam your forearm into the throat lol

lol it was done to me yesterday and I'm still feeling. Over 260 pounds driving his forearm into my throat and it was painful but I was not even close to tapping. Its still sore.

I wish I was better off my back lol I can hit sweeps and lock people down but can't hit subs for shit.

I wish I was better off my back lol I can hit sweeps and lock people down but can't hit subs for shit.

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot white belt, but my Rubber Guard is better than my open guard. I almost always work to Crackhead Control and once I have it I just feel so much more comfortable.

I feel your pain...my mount sucks...I feel like people are able to simply toss me off at will. Part of my problem is knee pain when I'm in that position... :icon_sad:

how long have you been training?

how do you start rolls? i assume you start from your knees but do you pull guard or always midget wrestle your way into top position?

i stopped midget wrestling and now pull guard from the knees 100% of the time... for a long time my submissions from the bottom and guard retention were way ahead of my top game just because that's where i spent most of my time in training.

now that i'm effectively able to pull off a good amount of sweeps i'm spending a lot more time on top and my top game is starting to catch up.

maybe this is it?

I'm the same, lol.

I'm so much more comfortable from my guard I just roll over, back into guard.

I don't know why though, I just like being on the bottom i guess..:(

if your on mount and the one in mounted will do the upa, switch to s mount(as demian maia said) and when your in mount, put your head on the mat

Sounds like you are sitting upright on him and trying to attack. That right there is a big part of the problem, it lacks control and pressure on your opponent.

Get high on him, and get low. You want head & arm control most of the time. So one arm around the head, keep it off the mat and puts pressure on his head keeping his head turned the other way. Fight for control of his other arm, get the wrist and push it outwards (not push it into the floor)

The other option I teach early is getting one of his arms across his body and wrapping it around his own neck (you're not going to choke him just like that, but will have a lot of options.

If he's just defending tight you once again control the head, then hook his elbow with the inside of yours. Drive with your legs forward and put his arm to his ear. Push it across his face and pin it there with your body weight. Secure it with the other hand, once again leaving you with head and arm control, just in a different form.

how do you start rolls? i assume you start from your knees but do you pull guard or always midget wrestle your way into top position?

i stopped midget wrestling and now pull guard from the knees 100% of the time... for a long time my submissions from the bottom and guard retention were way ahead of my top game just because that's where i spent most of my time in training.

now that i'm effectively able to pull off a good amount of sweeps i'm spending a lot more time on top and my top game is starting to catch up.

maybe this is it?

My old gym we started from the knees. My new gym we start standing and I love it! Its feels good to be able to work on takedowns every class.

You are not alone as you can tell by some of the replies.

What I started doing lately is working on just keeping mount. Finding positions ie, hooks and alternating my hips and the direction of where my head is pointing. Example. If my right hook is hooking their left leg(upwards) then my head/torso is pointing over their right shoulder.

Try alternating hooks, and position, you will find your balance.

Remember, position before submission. i have to tell myself this all the time while rolling. When in mount i get anxious if I am not searching for an immediate sub.

...just breath, focus on your position, and things will eventually open up for you.

Another key thing if you are not hooking legs is to keep your legs tight, keep the pressure on them.

maybe this is it?
I've been training off and on for awhile now, but now that I'm at a point in my life where I can finally relax, I'm spending about fifteen hours a week rolling.
From the knees or from his guard, I usually just pop my shin underneath his thigh and wrist pick him to end up on top. I may just start pulling guard more, since I go straight to mission control anyway.

Back