So I was sparring my friend, he said he only knows moves that kill people...

hockeyfacekilla**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He does San Shou, is this true? I don't know much about San Shou, or even if I'm spelling it right. It's pronounced san sou. Do they only practice moves that kill, do they practice any? I The closest for him winning was an armbar, but since I was standing, I picked him up about 3-4 feet and did a little slam. Won with a choke. This is in the stand up because I think San Shou is stand up.

when someone does a san shou death move, i just blugen them to death with a toaster

but serioiusly there are no such think as "death touches" or any or that crap.... sure you can be beaten to death or even killed my a single lucky punch.... but its all luck.

San Shou, translated from Chinese, simply means "free fighting".

There's nothing explicitly implied about "moves that kill".

From what I have seen of it, it has a wrestling aspect and a striking part. The wrestling looks like a combination of Judo and BJJ. I have a book here on San Shou throws, and I wasn't all that impressed...most of it is pretty fancy and unlikely to work in an NHB scenario against a good opponent. Would probably work on some shmoe on the street, but so would a lot of stuff.

They do have a lot of similar subs as BJJ (keylock, chicken wing, etc).

You should ask your friend to show you some of these "killer moves"...it sounds about as valid as the ninja "death touch", which I also have a book on that I bought many years ago, and can tell you its a complete bunch of crap.

Oh and since you sparred your friend who only knows moves that kill, how come you are still alive and able to post? :)

San shou to the best of my knowledge was developed to compete with Mu Thai.
China used to challnge Thailand in tournaments where they pitted there best Kung fu (Wu Shu) practitioners against good Thai fighters.

If my history is correct all Chinese fighters were destroyed in under 30 seconds of the first round year after year. There static form of Wu Shu ill equipped them to handle the brutal and efficient fighting style of Mui Thai.

San Shou was develpoed after years of embarresssing losses where they adapted a more mobile style of fighting or a "free style". It retains some elements of the original Kung fu style however adds western boxing and footwork into there style. (This is what i have been told and read)

From what i here San Shou is quite efective but i think your mate was having u on or shit talking u when he was talking about strikes that kill.

I've never heard of any moves made to kill in San Shou, it's really just a lot like Muay Thai but with throws and I believe submissions. Also grats to recoil on his win last saturday.

If your friend is correct, then I imagine that Cung Le (a competitive fighter who practices San Shou) would not only have a hard time getting on a fight card anywhere but would probably be a wanted man in a few countries after having killed all his opponents.

But since San Shou has a wide body of techniques that makes it well-suited to sport fighting, I suspect your friend is either misinformed or full of shit. Even if he was correct, then he'd be an idiot for practicing a style whose range of options in a fight are limited to killing ones opponent.

your friend is either full of shit, or thinks he is the shit but in reality is really full of it. but then again, i could be wrong. ask him the next time you guys spar to pull out all stops. i'm sure if ever he does pull off some kind of "raging demon" type of move, he's most likely not to push through with it.

I asked him to show me a killing move, I got some counter punch, then 30 seconds later (kinda normal speed) my back was on his knee and he did a neck break. I thought he was joking but he wasn't.

kung fu san soo?

It's a different thing than san shou.

Gregster said:
If your friend is correct, then I imagine that Cung Le (a competitive fighter who practices San Shou) would not only have a hard time getting on a fight card anywhere but would probably be a wanted man in a few countries after having killed all his opponents.

Chun Lee from Street Fighter?

Very likely to be san soo. Whatever your opinion on San Shou vs. Muay Thai, San shou is meant to be practical, and has no bullshit. Hmm, if San Shou uses just strikes and takedowns rules, that doesn't seem to be a good way to kill people.

Oh, and how did you spar him and not have him say, "weird, I didn't kill you."

Umm..your freind sounds like a douche bag..San Shou is Chinese kickboxing..google Cung le

I think the short answer is that your friend is a prat.

I dont know what it is but every tenth or so TMA practitioner I meet has bought into the whole "dim mak" super secret moves crap that pervades so many old martial arts and it takes me usually quite a while to convince them that they are talking utter bollocks.

SmashiusClay said:
I think the short answer is that your friend is a prat.

I dont know what it is but every tenth or so TMA practitioner I meet has bought into the whole "dim mak" super secret moves crap that pervades so many old martial arts and it takes me usually quite a while to convince them that they are talking utter bollocks.

OMG dotn knock the DIM MAK!! I saw Vandamme do it and he broke the last brick!!! It true!!! :D :p

stav said:
San shou to the best of my knowledge was developed to compete with Mu Thai.
China used to challnge Thailand in tournaments where they pitted there best Kung fu (Wu Shu) practitioners against good Thai fighters.

If my history is correct all Chinese fighters were destroyed in under 30 seconds of the first round year after year. There static form of Wu Shu ill equipped them to handle the brutal and efficient fighting style of Mui Thai.

San Shou was develpoed after years of embarresssing losses where they adapted a more mobile style of fighting or a "free style". It retains some elements of the original Kung fu style however adds western boxing and footwork into there style. (This is what i have been told and read)

From what i here San Shou is quite efective but i think your mate was having u on or shit talking u when he was talking about strikes that kill.

holy shit that was funny. thanks for the yuks!

Neck Cranks and Chokes can also kill people.
So everybody who trains JJ also knows "moves-that-kill-people".
and if his art just focuses on those things he is right when he says "i only train moves-that-kill-people".

Back