So I was sparring my friend, he said he only knows moves that kill people...

stav said:
San shou to the best of my knowledge was developed to compete with Mu Thai.
China used to challnge Thailand in tournaments where they pitted there best Kung fu (Wu Shu) practitioners against good Thai fighters.

If my history is correct all Chinese fighters were destroyed in under 30 seconds of the first round year after year. There static form of Wu Shu ill equipped them to handle the brutal and efficient fighting style of Mui Thai.

San Shou was develpoed after years of embarresssing losses where they adapted a more mobile style of fighting or a "free style". It retains some elements of the original Kung fu style however adds western boxing and footwork into there style. (This is what i have been told and read)

From what i here San Shou is quite efective but i think your mate was having u on or shit talking u when he was talking about strikes that kill.

I heard another version...

That San Shou was 'created' during the cultural revolution when fighting or sparring was banned in China. Fighters used to have underground tournaments in shady bars and places like that. Thats where the unique raised circle platform comes from. Its kinda like illegal rooster fights, people would bet on their fighter and such.

Russia was a big influence in China around this time too, what with the whole cold war and communism going on. So I think a lot of Sambo was borrowed, as well as Chinese Wrestling... which is why it looks very similar to Judo and BJJ.

I also think the Chinese Military wanted to create a fighting style for their troops and decided on San Da and to keep the troops active they would hold anual San Shou tournaments.

Tthere are lots of guys who do San Shou on sherdog, I'm sure they can add on/correct me.

uummm NO!

just NO!

shit like this makes me wanna cry...

shan shou is the chinese version of MT. i kinda go with the story of the chinese fighters getting pasted by MT fighters and had to realize that it needed to change instead of being so deep rooted in history. but i dont dwell on it much. i jsut think of it as chinese MT or basicly an "applied art" the falls in the familys of MA's that focus more on results then "ideals" and "methods"

personally i dont take the shit. i'd slap his ass around, german him right on his head and walk out with his GF cuz i'm a man and hes not.. but hey thats me.. i got issues :D

San Shou is mostly MT and chinese wrestling techniques. The standing double is a signature of chinese fast wrestling, and not something from Sambo. I highly doubt there is much Sambo influence, given the rules of San Shou, which are dictated by Chinese fighting ethics, which are that the fight ends when someone is thrown down to the ground. A lot of the leg trips are also native to chinese wrestling, and didn't need to be imported from JJ or Sambo.

Again, I'm almost positive the friend is doing San soo, not San Shou.

I'll stand by my "banned underground" theory... If fighting was banned, as it was, how could they challenge the Thai fighters. And if they were underground fights, well then there is truth in my theory anway.

But my sambo one was just a guess based on China borrowing so much stuff from Communist Russia around that point in history. But San Shou is in theory a MMA so it really doesn't matter what styles you say it came from.

If anyone cares enough I'm sure they could research this further and find the real history.

AgentZ said:
But San Shou is in theory a MMA so it really doesn't matter what styles you say it came from.
San Shou the rules yes, is a form of MMA.

San Shou is also a style taught by San Shou clubs in China, a style suitable for fighting in San Shou rules matches.

so, lots of people know moves that can kill someone, it's not really a big deal.

Liquid Snake said:
so, lots of people know moves that can kill someone, it's not really a big deal.
He said he only knows...for his martial art.

AgentZ said:
I'll stand by my "banned underground" theory... If fighting was banned, as it was, how could they challenge the Thai fighters. And if they were underground fights, well then there is truth in my theory anway.

But my sambo one was just a guess based on China borrowing so much stuff from Communist Russia around that point in history. But San Shou is in theory a MMA so it really doesn't matter what styles you say it came from.

If anyone cares enough I'm sure they could research this further and find the real history.

I too am part of the school of thought that believes that san shou was the result of KF guys losing ot MT. There is a popular website, but if i link (i'm having trouble cuz it's hard to find) it you may find it unreliable. But it makes the most sense, b/c KF is really primitive in theory, and it's hard to think 'outside the box' as SS does unless there was a lot of competitive pressure. SS philosophy is too smilar to MT that it must have been borrowed through across cultures.

meng_mao said:
San Shou is also a style taught by San Shou clubs in China, a style suitable for fighting in San Shou rules matches.
it's also taught in many KF schools...who try to rip off the good reputation of SS. these schools think SS is sparring of any chinese martial art, so you get bad results. many of SF's tat wong's mcdojos have SS but if u look at the school they teach lots of forms and stuff that doesn't work. And i'm a firm believer of schools including sparring classes is not sufficient to produce fighters.

my muay thai combined with my hand gun will kill him and his technique

BlackBeltNow said:
it's also taught in many KF schools...who try to rip off the good reputation of SS. these schools think SS is sparring of any chinese martial art, so you get bad results. many of SF's tat wong's mcdojos have SS but if u look at the school they teach lots of forms and stuff that doesn't work. And i'm a firm believer of schools including sparring classes is not sufficient to produce fighters.

Are kungfu schools teaching san shou really that bad? From the list of the US San Shou team:
http://www.kungfu.net/, it seems like kung-fu schools provide half of the team (William CC Chen teaches Tai Chi and EBM is a kung-fu school in oakland). Then again, I have heard that Tat Wong's school are all commercialized...

Ahh, I posted this a while back and people ignored it.

The OP said he wasn't sure how it was spelled. I'm positive it was a misunderstanding.

Either the threadstarter or his friend is talking about SAN SOO. Not San Shou. San Shou is definitely legit, whereas San Soo appears to be another "deadly" branch of Kung Fu.

Gregster said:
If your friend is correct, then I imagine that Cung Le (a competitive fighter who practices San Shou) would not only have a hard time getting on a fight card anywhere but would probably be a wanted man in a few countries after having killed all his opponents.

But since San Shou has a wide body of techniques that makes it well-suited to sport fighting, I suspect your friend is either misinformed or full of shit. Even if he was correct, then he'd be an idiot for practicing a style whose range of options in a fight are limited to killing ones opponent.

Nice Gregster... as always first class pwnage with style.

recoil said:
when someone does a san shou death move, i just blugen them to death with a toaster

but serioiusly there are no such think as "death touches" or any or that crap.... sure you can be beaten to death or even killed my a single lucky punch.... but its all luck.

haha good stuff, blugeon him with a toaster dude

its pronuonced sansho, and any of the kids from the kung lee gym in san jose could kick your friends ass

hockeyfacekilla said:
looks like a bunch of bull crap...http://www.sansoo.com/

Yes, thank you. I'm positive if it sounded anything like San Shou, it HAD to be San Soo. No San Shou fighter in their right mind would ever claim they only know moves that "kill people." Their art, like any good martial art, revolves around sparring.

I sparred with a San Soo guy and was beating the shit out of him. When I went for a Thai clinch, he tried to gouge my eyes, so i kneed the shit out of him. What gets me about those arts is the guys who practice them are usually out of shape, and all they do is promis spar. Oh, and grappling is bullshit to them cuz they'll just bite you or poke you or someshit. Like I can't bite or poke when I have superior positioning on the ground...

i used to hear that "i can't spar cuz i'll just kill u" excuse alot back in my martial arts days.............yeah, those were the days.

Altho on that note, they do teach killing methods to the military, but its a far cry from the mcdojo bullshit people swear to. My dad had a guy from Korea who was actually a ROK soldier (republic of korea, "south") before he came to teh states and he could beat teh hell outta anyone in the group, he knew how to actually fight tho along w/ his kill-only tactics. My dad said he was a beast, and made our training look shit. I think for self defense its good to kno a few nasty tricks to seriously injure someone, especially if they're alot bigger than u.

Back