So I just joined a BJJ club at college...

MrPants

White Belt
Reaction score
It's been going on for about 3 weeks now and I'm having a blast. But recently, when I start rolling, my organs (mainly kidneys) will start to feel compressed and painful and this will continue for a while even after I stop. Now I'm pretty skinny (6'1, 140 lbs) so I'm pretty sure it's from the really heavy guys constantly putting all their weight on me. Is this something to worry about? Thanks :icon_chee

If you mean worry about it like "my kidneys and spleen will stop working" then no. Aside from a VERY hard blow to these organs it is almost impossible to damage them in sparring. If you mean "it really sucks and when will it stop sucking so much?" just give it some time. Being knee mounted is never fun but it will bother you less in a few months.

don't know about kidney pain but i often feel like my lungs have been smashed the day after training if i'm going hard against the bigger chaps in our gym.

i don't think the pain decreases, just your attention to it. after a while, it doesn't bother you anymore that you're sore as fuck all the time.

You should try bulk up for starters. Similarly to you I started judo last week in college I'm 6'2 160 and i know i need to put on weight. Whats your diet like?

6'1", 140#? What do you have, like a 14 inch waist? Lol.

Just put some weight on (or get shorter lol) so you have some cushion.

The first I train, I felt I got run over by a truck.

Now, I train with guys that are over 330 lbs - 140 kg and the next day I am pretty sore.

But having someone describing the kidneys in particular is a worrying sign.

In all seriousness weight probably isn't the problem. I'm 5' 11" and between 125 - 132lbs. I've asked my instructor not to pair me up with people above 200lbs because that can be quite painful. If you're rolling with light people and this keeps occurring get yourself checked out.

Also, if you are worried enough to sign up on a website and make a post about this you might as well just go to the doctor now.

I'm 6'1 170lbs and my everyone tells me I'm too skinny....

You have kidney stones. The worst is yet to come.

Yep I think you're right. I had them a couple years ago. .....:icon_sad:

Ah well at least I'll hopefully be good to go when they pass.

And thanks for the self esteem boost everyone :wink:

You're going to have a lot more injuries if you don't put some weight on.

Back