So I just dug up my old baseball card book?

I sold a Mickey Mantle card when i was a kid in the 80's, got $250 for it. I don't want to even know what it was probably worth even back then ( im sure i got ripped off ) can't imagine what it must be worth now.
I was never really a fan of baseball, i think my aunt got a baseball collection at a yard sale and gave them to me.
I traded a Mickey Mantle and Rickey Henderson Rookie for a Frank Thomas insert back in the 90's :(

I'd look up potential values of the cards independently, and if you find any that may be worth something, then get serious about having them appraised.

I collected in the late 80s/early 90s. It's funny how worthless all of that stuff is. It's just like comic books from that era. Millions were printed and while some cards are more desirable than others, none are worth anything of note. I remember begging for Jose Canesco's rookie card from a card shop and getting it for $90. It's a few dollars now...

There is a market now but it's for very rare cards, graded cards and autographs.

Last edited:
I know a guy at work that's really into cards now. He told me they intentionally limit the production on newer stuff to inflate the value. He also told me about some live events they do where you pay a flat fee (hundreds of dollars range) to enter, and they randomly generate the order of everyone involved. Then some dude on a livestream lottery picks your card out of a bunch of good ones. He recently got a Mahomes rookie card and was excited telling everyone at work. I got excited thinking about the 80's / 90's fleer and upper deck sets I have still in the box, and then he said "they ain't worth shit bro." LOL

I know a guy at work that's really into cards now. He told me they intentionally limit the production on newer stuff to inflate the value. He also told me about some live events they do where you pay a flat fee (hundreds of dollars range) to enter, and they randomly generate the order of everyone involved. Then some dude on a livestream lottery picks your card out of a bunch of good ones. He recently got a Mahomes rookie card and was excited telling everyone at work. I got excited thinking about the 80's / 90's fleer and upper deck sets I have still in the box, and then he said "they ain't worth shit bro." LOL
The 90s cards are worth huge IF it's Gem mint 10. But getting a gem mint 10 from a set or a pack is al oat i.possible unless it was packaged perfectly. Only cards I have worth real money are my 60s and 70s cards which get graded more leniency. I thought I had a couple hundred grand worth lol. Find out moat I can get is maybe 40k if I piece them out 1 by 1 on ebay. I might juat give to a card shop that offered me 25k for the lot..

The 90s cards are worth huge IF it's Gem mint 10. But getting a gem mint 10 from a set or a pack is al oat i.possible unless it was packaged perfectly. Only cards I have worth real money are my 60s and 70s cards which get graded more leniency. I thought I had a couple hundred grand worth lol. Find out moat I can get is maybe 40k if I piece them out 1 by 1 on ebay. I might juat give to a card shop that offered me 25k for the lot..

They're still in the box and hardly looked through. Most are early 90's. Don't think they came plastic wrapped, but I honestly can't remember as they were Xmas gifts. I'll have to dig them up again and check out if it's worth anything on ebay. Thanks for the info.

Tell me the year , brand I can tell you.

I collected in the late 80s/early 90s. It's funny how worthless all of that stuff is. It's just like comic books from that era. Millions were printed and while some cards are more desirable than others, none are worth anything of note. I remember begging for Jose Canesco's rookie card from a card shop and getting it for $90. It's a few dollars now...

There is a market now but it's for very rare cards, graded cards and autographs.

I did the same thing as a kid. Thought I was making a wise investment. They're all worthless now. I remember even calling a card shop when I was in my early teens to try and sell some of them to pay for something and the guy just laughed and said sorry kid but all the cards from those sets are worthless. There's even a documentary about how Topps printed way more Griffey rookie cards than they claimed and how that dropped their value down a ton as well.

The one valuable item I do have is a passed down baseball signed by the 1958 Yankees. Easily my most prized sports collectible.

I was thinking about baseball cards recently the other day and was wondering if it was still even a thing that people would pay for. I guess so

Tell me the year , brand I can tell you.

WFBoU1J.jpg

Anything pre 1990 is worth looking into.

Anything from 1990-2000 is literally worthless. Since then they attempted to correct this problem by making X/XX cards and having people pay $200 a pack.

Things of potentially high value in the 90s runs were things like this:

s-l1600.webp

(Jordan wearing the #12)

The holy grail

s-l1600.jpg

(end of bat)

Error cards in general always brought some money.

Late 80s to early 90s aren't worth much but a few like Griffey rookie and Pedro or limited production cards. That would cost more to appraise than what its worth .

I'm looking at trying g to sell my old cards from the late 60s an early 70s I got about 150 to 200 big names from those years and each mint 9 values at 1000 or more each but they aren't mint 9. If I could get like 25 to 30k for the lot of those I might . They literally been in a box for 20 years and while I might like to pass them down my kids have less thsn zero interest in baseball. May as well get a really nice vacation out of it .

But it probably wo t even be worth that sadly

Id sell your stuff now while the markets there.

If you pass them to your kids they might not be worth anything in 20-30 years if no ones still around with an interest in buying them.

It's like how Pokémon cards have gone up in value again as the kids who had them first time round are now in their 30s and 40s with disposable income, in 25 years probably no one will care again.

The 90s cards are worth huge IF it's Gem mint 10.
No they're not, unless its something special like a UD SP 279 Derek Jeter. Pretty much everything from the late 80's to 00' was so overprinted very few cards have any value, even if they are PSA/SC graded. I have a foot tall stack of cards from that period that are almost all Hall of Famers, some insert cards and even weird stuff like a Mark Mcgwire Rookie misprint and it's worth about a dollar even in great condition... its really a pathetic era for sports cards referred to as "Junk Wax" for a reason.

Back