So I dipped all the way...

vincent80

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing the 2 day split: DL + bench 1 day and Military press + squat 1 day

And I usually squat to where I get low as mid calve but I've been wanting to just dip all the way down and pop back up (let me tell you I'm very green when it comes to squats) so I did just that. Heard a bunch of little pops ( like waking up in the morn and everything pops)no pain nothing. Later that day I go to step up on to the bed of a trailer and I hoist my self up with my right leg then sit down and I feel a radiating pain from the middle of my knee. Nothing that buckles me but enough to alarm me. And I've never felt a pain likenthat before. I feel a slight burning sensation on the inner side of my knee too.

I know none of you are doctors and I should go see one. But I would just like to know if anyone by experience could throw out a possibility of what might of happened. If it could be something major.

Damn, dude.. you might have done something to your MCL. The sooner you get it checked out, the better.

Good luck.

Pretty common to fuck your knee up or shoulders up while working out.

Obviously shoulders from doing bench incorrect (or an accident), and the knees from either wear and tear, messing up on your form, not stretching properly...etc.

I would wait a little while. In time you will know whether not it is truly messed up. Unless you have good insurance. In that case, get it checked out.

Hey, I have an idea!

I'll do something questionable at the gym, and possibly injure myself.

Then I'll go on to the strength training section of my favorite MMA forum site and solicit medical advice.

I'll pick something out of the conflicting, speculative, unfounded information that anonymous posters offer up and follow it as a means to care for my health.

Perhaps I'll aggravate the injury or even make a temporary setback a permanent disability.

Then I'll sue Sherdog for allowing the distribution of medical advice online which caused me injury.

The lawsuit will fail but S&C will be noted as a liability and shut down.

Yayyyyyyyy.

are u saying u hurt urself doing ATG squats?

Disclaimer- I'm not a doctor

I get an alarming pain intermittently like you described. It doesn't hurt that bad but feels strange, like unstable with a mild pain. It occurs at the medial, slightly anterior part of the knee, not actually in the knee joint. That area is where the 3 tendons of the sartorius, gracilis, and semitendinosus overlap and connect to the tibia, superficial to the MCL. That conjoined tendon is called the pes anserinus. Since the pain goes away after a day I think that the tendons get inflamed when it hurts. Im pretty sure that the tendon sheath/bursae is what makes the cracking sound, similar to cracking any other joint in your body. Foam rolling, stretching, and rest help me, and I never have pain for more than a day (Ill lift in the morning, it'll feel fine during the day, and it'll hurt/feel weird while im kickboxing at night, but then will be fine the next morning). If your pain is persistent or the knee feels unstable for more than a day or two, go see a doctor.

I'm doing the 2 day split: DL + bench 1 day and Military press + squat 1 day

And I usually squat to where I get low as mid calve but I've been wanting to just dip all the way down and pop back up (let me tell you I'm very green when it comes to squats) so I did just that. Heard a bunch of little pops ( like waking up in the morn and everything pops)no pain nothing. Later that day I go to step up on to the bed of a trailer and I hoist my self up with my right leg then sit down and I feel a radiating pain from the middle of my knee. Nothing that buckles me but enough to alarm me. And I've never felt a pain likenthat before. I feel a slight burning sensation on the inner side of my knee too.

I know none of you are doctors and I should go see one. But I would just like to know if anyone by experience could throw out a possibility of what might of happened. If it could be something major.

If your knee pops see a doctor ASAP...

Ill lift in the morning

Do you have the flexibility to lift in the afternoon or evening? From what I've read, lifting in the morning isn't ideal.

Whats wrong with lifting in the morning? I eat breakfast (eggs, carbs, coffee), do something like defranco's agile 8 (foam roll, dynamic stretch, activation) at home, run on the treadmill for a couple minutes at the gym, and then lift.

If your schedule allows, try lifting later in the day and see if it makes a difference. I really don't recall where I read it, but it had to do with the CNS not being ready to handle heavy loads early in the morning.

Whats wrong with lifting in the morning? I eat breakfast (eggs, carbs, coffee), do something like defranco's agile 8 (foam roll, dynamic stretch, activation) at home, run on the treadmill for a couple minutes at the gym, and then lift.

If your schedule allows, try lifting later in the day and see if it makes a difference. I really don't recall where I read it, but it had to do with the CNS not being ready to handle heavy loads early in the morning.

This, also your circadian rythms mean you'll have a better workout after being up for a while, I.e. stronger later in the day (although how much of a difference that makes...). Also when you wake up your spinal disks don't have as much water in them as when you've been awake for a while.

This, also your circadian rythms mean you'll have a better workout after being up for a while, I.e. stronger later in the day (although how much of a difference that makes...). Also when you wake up your spinal disks don't have as much water in them as when you've been awake for a while.

Τhat is the main issue. If you lift in the morning but you've already been up and around for 2-3 hours, then you'll be fine.

There is some fluctuation in hormone levels and hormone responses to training stimuli between morning and afternoon, but I wouldn't think this is significant enough to concern you. If your schedule works better with you lifting in the morning, and as long as you don't lift within a very short time from waking up, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm pretty sure that the spinal disks have more water in them when you first wake up, not less.

I'm pretty sure I can barely walk straight in the morning. Forget loading a few hundred pounds on my back and doing deep knee bends

I'm pretty sure that the spinal disks have more water in them when you first wake up, not less.

That is correct. Thanks for the correction, I didn't even pay attention to that one.

I think youre being a pussy. Warm up properly, stretch, if you injure yourself go to a doctor. Simple. Pain is good for the soul. As long as its not debilitating, ignore it.

I think youre being a pussy. Warm up properly, stretch, if you injure yourself go to a doctor. Simple. Pain is good for the soul. As long as its not debilitating, ignore it.

Thanks^^... I have a appointment this week with a sports medicine physician. I just got my insurance activated so I might as well.

Never dip in a squat. You must employ complete control slowly in your descent to the bottom of the lift then explode up aggressively. The fact that you dipped which, sounds a lot like you went down quicker than you should means your putting excessive strain across the knees, tendons and muscles around the knees also. When I first started squatting I did the same and experienced the exact same pain that you have described. After learning to control and go slowly down and keep my back arched and butt out. I was squatting with no pain of any kind except the good burn in my legs.

Back