So how is the UFC going to market Werdum Cain II?

BlastoiseDad

Al-hamdullilah
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm having trouble even coming up with a possible angle on this one. Even with Gus vs DC, they can just literally pretend like the Rumble fight never happened and that Gus is looking for an eventual rematch with Jones.

With this fight, nothing makes sense.

Cain: "I was rusty, the altitude got to me, I wasn't myself that night. He was the better man but I know I can beat him"

Cue serious Joe Hogan w/ black background: "Remember what happened last time Cain did a rematch? That's the Cain we're gonna see, and you don't wanna be standing at the other side of the octagon from that man, quite possibly the Baddest.Man.On.The.Planet"

Meanwhile Werdum will be trololol'ing away.

I agree, I think they're going with the altitude angle. It's grasping at straws, but how else are they going to market it? It sounds like it's working, anyway, I've seen plenty of people trying to say Cai-een wasn't himself and all the rest.

I will continue to not give a shit. I am sick of Cain. By the time this fight happens, he will have only fought three different people over the course of 6 years.

I was looking forward to some new blood fighting over the strap.

While I favor Werdum in the rematch for the same reasons I did in the first match, it is conceivable that Cain could win and then not fight again for a year and a half.

It'll have a shot of Cain stepping out of the ocean while they quickly switch to a replay of his KO of Big Nog.

I'm guessing commercials, posters, and press conferences. Maybe the fighters will do some interviews.

The rematch of the legend that is Sea Level Cain. Sea Level Cain is a legend, just like past legends such as Motivated Penn, Healthy Shogun, Strikeforce Diaz, TRT Vitor, Chuck With That Look In His Eyes, Prime Crocop and In Shape Rampage. They will go with the altitude angle, and how Cain would be a different fighter in the rematch.

Joe did a great job at shoving that altitude excuse down everyone's throat 3\4 sherdoggers practically ate it up as well

they have to. nothing really else can sell this fight

I am not sure if Werdum just has a very vocal minority of fans but he seems to get a lot of love and GOAT talk. This is the guy who KO'd Hunt recently, Subbed Cain and Tapped out Fedor but is also the guy who got KTFO by JDS and was flopping to his back and scooting after Overeem like a complete tool in recent memory. Not sure if anyone remembers that Werdum or if they are just assuming those performances don't matter?

How about he defend his belt at least once before we crown him the GOAT. If he beats Cain convincingly again then he can be taken for real but I don't mind the rematch.

Werdum will destroy him again, and we'll finally be done with that clown.

I agree, I think they're going with the altitude angle. It's grasping at straws, but how else are they going to market it? It sounds like it's working, anyway, I've seen plenty of people trying to say Cai-een wasn't himself and all the rest.

It's not grasping at straws, altitude is real and has real effects on performance. Cain messed up by not training properly for the altitude so bad on him, but you cannot dismiss the altitude and long layoff as reasons for his terrible performance. Werdoom is awesome and I still favor him in a rematch but it will not be the wreckage that was the first fight.

It'll have a shot of Cain stepping out of the ocean while they quickly switch to a replay of his KO of Big Nog.

They should do one of Cain jumping out of a swimming pool like Penn did. But he might blow his knee out making that jump. Risk vs reward I guess.

It's not grasping at straws, altitude is real and has real effects on performance. Cain messed up by not training properly for the altitude so bad on him, but you cannot dismiss the altitude and long layoff as reasons for his terrible performance. Werdoom is awesome and I still favor him in a rematch but it will not be the wreckage that was the first fight.
It is grasping at straws because there is nothing else they could say to justify the rematch. Even then, it's pretty much a former champion getting a do-over because they didn't train right the first time. It was Cain's own fault the altitude drained him as bad as it did.

I am not sure if Werdum just has a very vocal minority of fans but he seems to get a lot of love and GOAT talk. This is the guy who ..was flopping to his back and scooting after Overeem like a complete tool in recent memory.

Incorrect. This is the guy who was flopping to his back and scooting after Ubereem.

Overeem and Ubereem are two very, very different animals.

Easy promotion

Cue Rogan " we have a champion a monster who turns into a mythical creature once he loses to an opponent '

They show JDS ko of Cain
Then they show Cain vs JDS 2 and 3
Cue Rogan again "this is the most anticipated rematch between Cain the beast vs Werdum I can't wait I am super pumped"

Dana on Twitter and media telling us we are idiots if we don't order the most anticipated rematch

8 days later You have a sherdogger linking a metlzer ppv estimate that it did 2 million ppv buys

Questions?

It is grasping at straws because there is nothing else they could say to justify the rematch. Even then, it's pretty much a former champion getting a do-over because they didn't train right the first time. It was Cain's own fault the altitude drained him as bad as it did.

The long layoff is also Cain's fault due to poor training methods. But I can see why they'd want to give Cain another shot (besides pandering to the Mexican market). If cage fighting is a contest of skill, then something like altitude and injury time off shouldn't play into it. Giving Cain a re-do will let us see a more peak Cain in action, which I'm ok with.

I'm having trouble even coming up with a possible angle on this one. Even with Gus vs DC, they can just literally pretend like the Rumble fight never happened and that Gus is looking for an eventual rematch with Jones.

With this fight, nothing makes sense.

Cain: "I was rusty, the altitude got to me, I wasn't myself that night. He was the better man but I know I can beat him"

Cue serious Joe Hogan w/ black background: "Remember what happened last time Cain did a rematch? That's the Cain we're gonna see, and you don't wanna be standing at the other side of the octagon from that man, quite possibly the Baddest.Man.On.The.Planet"

Meanwhile Werdum will be trololol'ing away.

Well hopefully they put it on a card with another championship fight on it. That's how it'll be marketed for me.

The long layoff is also Cain's fault due to poor training methods. But I can see why they'd want to give Cain another shot (besides pandering to the Mexican market). If cage fighting is a contest of skill, then something like altitude and injury time off shouldn't play into it. Giving Cain a re-do will let us see a more peak Cain in action, which I'm ok with.
In addition to getting an unjust immediate re-do, Rockhold and DC were talking all this shit, so Cain goes and loses, now we have to put up with their whiny asses mouthing off again. That's what's vexing me about this.

I am not sure if Werdum just has a very vocal minority of fans but he seems to get a lot of love and GOAT talk. This is the guy who KO'd Hunt recently, Subbed Cain and Tapped out Fedor but is also the guy who got KTFO by JDS and was flopping to his back and scooting after Overeem like a complete tool in recent memory. Not sure if anyone remembers that Werdum or if they are just assuming those performances don't matter?

How about he defend his belt at least once before we crown him the GOAT. If he beats Cain convincingly again then he can be taken for real but I don't mind the rematch.

Recent memory?? That fight was 4 years ago. More recently he submitted Big Nog, made a name for himself off Browne, KO'd Mark Hunt, and then submitted Cain. He's also the first guy to ever legit beat Fedor.

In addition to getting an unjust immediate re-do, Rockhold and DC were talking all this shit, so Cain goes and loses, now we have to put up with their whiny asses mouthing off again. That's what's vexing me about this.

Let them talk. Werdum will just flash the troll face and we'll post pictures of crying Rockhold, pouting DC in Cain's corner, and Werdum subbing Cain with a big smile on his face. I'd rather see AA fight for the belt but I'd also like a decisive win for Werdum where there are no excuses for Cain.

Back