so english speaking countries refuse to show depictions of muhammed after all

It shouldnt....yet we see hurting peoples feelings gets you beat up and killed everywhere in the world. Free speech has consequences, if you are mocking people and being jerk to them, you are bound to get an ugly reaction. go out in the streets and mock people walking the streets and see how long before someone punches you.

Every speech isnt worth the same, and these guys knew fully well by mocking people the way they did was upsetting people. But they convinced themselves they were some sort of heroes who was proving some sort of freedom the rest of us couldnt live without. This is why the Charlie guy said he would rather die than have no freedom. The fact that someone living in secular France is even thinking their freedom is under so much threat that if they cant mock muslims, its not worth living says it all. Calling these killers savages, animals or whatever isnt gonna change those people got killed. And they died for something so meaningless imo

The idea that not being able to mock religion is a hollow or insignificant right that is not worth fighting for, in FRANCE of all places, is so historically ignorant it boggles the mind.

Ecrasez l'inf

Not being able to criticize religion = not being able to criticize dictators and politics.

Religion is completely insignificant though, and there is no social benefit from criticizing religion.

We should just let religious people get their way on anything *so long as they are willing to kill us* --- if they are that sincere about wanting to kill us, then we should bow down and respect their wishes, give them what they want. Societies that follow this principle of placating religious fanatics are invariably wonderful places, and societies that fight to protect the freedom to criticize religion = hellholes.

That's why I'm moving to Yemen.

what i've just started noticing on the tv are stories about how terrible it is to be muslim in the west. the whole thing is gradually turning around. the media were all behind freedom of speech but now there are reports being shown that do not look kindly on je suis charlie.
i've seen this happen in the past sometimes. we start to blame our own society, it's our fault.

It's not at all surprising that a poster like yourself would sympathize with terrorists who kill people over cartoons.

Yeah, I love terrorists. That's my thing.

I suggest you reread the post to which I responded, if not to appeal to the authority of the author being much smarter than you, than to at least refill your "people who disagree with me are evil sympathizers" reserve tank than you so often draw from.

To analogize his post, if I were to post all of your laughably uninformed political opinions to social media, would that justify you shooting me in the face? Of course not. Your retaliation, however, wouldn't make me any less of a dickhead for needlessly shaming and antagonizing someone for holding different opinions than my own for the sake of showing that I am able to do it.

Religion is completely insignificant though, and there is no social benefit from criticizing religion.

We should just let religious people get their way on anything *so long as they are willing to kill us* --- if they are that sincere about wanting to kill us, then we should bow down and respect their wishes, give them what they want. Societies that follow this principle of placating religious fanatics are invariably wonderful places, and societies that fight to protect the freedom to criticize religion = hellholes.

That's why I'm moving to Yemen.

:icon_ideaWould you mind FedExing some Khat. Thanks in advance.

what i've just started noticing on the tv are stories about how terrible it is to be muslim in the west. the whole thing is gradually turning around. the media were all behind freedom of speech but now there are reports being shown that do not look kindly on je suis charlie.
i've seen this happen in the past sometimes. we start to blame our own society, it's our fault.

Mark Steyn talks about the media placing Muslims in the victim seat:

Yeah, I love terrorists. That's my thing.

I suggest you reread the post to which I responded, if not to appeal to the authority of the author being much smarter than you, than to at least refill your "people who disagree with me are evil sympathizers" reserve tank than you so often draw from.

To analogize his post, if I were to post all of your laughably uninformed political opinions to social media, would that justify you shooting me in the face? Of course not. Your retaliation, however, wouldn't make me any less of a dickhead for needlessly shaming and antagonizing someone for holding different opinions than my own for the sake of showing that I am able to do it.

The post you were championing was a long-winded Islamic apologist post that can be summarized as "The media shouldn't show Moohammed pictures because it hurts people's feelings and when you break it down the West is ultimately responsible for the terrorists."

This isn't a "both sides have a point" situation. This is about a group of backwards retards killing people over being offended. I don't have patience for anyone dumb enough to rationalize the Islamic side in this. This kind of nonsense won't stop as long as we have people shaming those who mock Islam and rationalizing the terrorists actions.

I'd like to provide a little context here.

There is nothing that justifies the use of violence against reporters. Nothing, ever, period. That doesn't change the fact that those cartoons never should have been published, and I'll tell you why.

There is a legitimate sense of fear and distrust in the middle east towards the west. The west has, for the last 60 years, supported brutal tyrants and repressive monarchies in the middle east - and middle eastern people know that. Westerners like to forget about the fact that Saddam was America's puppet, or that the CIA trained Bin Laden - but they know that stuff in the middle east. They haven't forgotten.

The USA likes to brag about their support for the coup in 1953 that led to the overthrow of a democratically elected government in Iran, for example. The CIA still brags about it as an example of a perfectly executed operation.
The brutal, US supported monarchy that replaced Iran's democratically elected government was overthrown in 1979, and now we have the Iran of today. People in the middle east know that, they haven't forgotten, and they aren't happy about it.

Many people in the middle east tend to know that the USA sent money and weapons to support the savage regime of Saddam Hussein. They know the USA supports the house of Saud in Saudi Arabia, another brutal and repressive monarchy. They know the USA supported Mubarak in Egypt. People know these facts. They know the west has a history of almost uniformly supporting dictators and tyrants in the middle east.

People also know that Osama Bin Laden was in Pakistan, and not Afghanistan. The USA invaded Afghanistan to catch Bin Laden, so their invasion was launched under a bullshit pretext. Soon after that invasion, another invasion, in Iraq. There were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq - that's the second invasion of a middle eastern country launched for no good reason inside 10 years.

So for the last 60 years the west been supporting brutal tyrants in the middle east. In the last 15 years the leader of the free world, the USA, has committed two major war crimes by invading two middle eastern countries without the backing of the United Nations and without a proper pretext.

Maybe American's don't care about international law, but weaker, more defenseless countries *do*. People in those regions become especially enraged when the west breaks international law in a way that causes pain to their families.

Now they see western newspapers mocking their prophet, their culture and their entire belief system. Those newspapers should never have printed those cartoons - and not because "it's wrong to offend Islam", but because given the context we're operating in here, it's extremely distasteful to print trite garbage like that. It's like shooting someone and stealing their things, then mocking them and spitting on them.

Those newspapers had every right to print those cartoons consequence free, but they should never have printed them in the first place, for the reasons I listed above.

Bullshit. I'm from Latin America, a area that's been shited on longer by the US. You don't see us trying to blow up Warner Brothers for Speedy Gonzalez cartoons. Lol. I love those cartoons!

Sherdog?

charlie-hebdo-frontpage.jpg

I don't know French, but Spanish. Does that say: El Coran es de La Mierda (Coran of Shit) or El Coran es de la Muerte (Coran of Death)?

Something like ' the Koran is crap, it does not stop bullets.'

The post you were championing was a long-winded Islamic apologist post that can be summarized as "The media shouldn't show Moohammed pictures because it hurts people's feelings and when you break it down the West is ultimately responsible for the terrorists."

This isn't a "both sides have a point" situation. This is about a group of backwards retards killing people over being offended. I don't have patience for anyone dumb enough to rationalize the Islamic side in this. This kind of nonsense won't stop as long as we have people shaming those who mock Islam and rationalizing the terrorists actions.

Nice deflection, stud. I like that you no longer even pretend to read posts: it is at least more honest.

No one is rationalizing terrorist actions. If you had an inkling of reading comprehension, you'd know that, considering the poster said it multiple times. He merely said that if a wrong is reciprocated with an exponentially worse wrong, it neither justifies the latter or retroactively dismisses the former.

Bullshit. I'm from Latin America, a area that's been shited on longer by the US. You don't see us trying to blow up Warner Brothers for Speedy Gonzalez cartoons. Lol. I love those cartoons!

Some Americans think all Hispanics in US are economic and demographic terrorists, but seriously, Latin America is very isolated relative to the ME.

They have every right to print what they want, but every action has consequences weather we like it or not. End of the day those people are dead and no amount of praising them and condemning the attack will bring them back. We like to say they were heroes to make their families feel better, but the reality is they dead for something so meaningless in which they brought to themselves. This is just a growing trend white westernes have developed where they love to act like victims nowadays. We cant express ourselves, we dont have freedom of speech, we are called racists while the brownies dont.

Oh yeah...

tumblr_inline_mld9saICY11qz4rgp.gif

I'd like to provide a little context here.

There is nothing that justifies the use of violence against reporters. Nothing, ever, period. That doesn't change the fact that those cartoons never should have been published, and I'll tell you why.

There is a legitimate sense of fear and distrust in the middle east towards the west. The west has, for the last 60 years, supported brutal tyrants and repressive monarchies in the middle east - and middle eastern people know that. Westerners like to forget about the fact that Saddam was America's puppet, or that the CIA trained Bin Laden - but they know that stuff in the middle east. They haven't forgotten.

The USA likes to brag about their support for the coup in 1953 that led to the overthrow of a democratically elected government in Iran, for example. The CIA still brags about it as an example of a perfectly executed operation.
The brutal, US supported monarchy that replaced Iran's democratically elected government was overthrown in 1979, and now we have the Iran of today. People in the middle east know that, they haven't forgotten, and they aren't happy about it.

Many people in the middle east tend to know that the USA sent money and weapons to support the savage regime of Saddam Hussein. They know the USA supports the house of Saud in Saudi Arabia, another brutal and repressive monarchy. They know the USA supported Mubarak in Egypt. People know these facts. They know the west has a history of almost uniformly supporting dictators and tyrants in the middle east.

People also know that Osama Bin Laden was in Pakistan, and not Afghanistan. The USA invaded Afghanistan to catch Bin Laden, so their invasion was launched under a bullshit pretext. Soon after that invasion, another invasion, in Iraq. There were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq - that's the second invasion of a middle eastern country launched for no good reason inside 10 years.

So for the last 60 years the west been supporting brutal tyrants in the middle east. In the last 15 years the leader of the free world, the USA, has committed two major war crimes by invading two middle eastern countries without the backing of the United Nations and without a proper pretext.

Maybe American's don't care about international law, but weaker, more defenseless countries *do*. People in those regions become especially enraged when the west breaks international law in a way that causes pain to their families.

Now they see western newspapers mocking their prophet, their culture and their entire belief system. Those newspapers should never have printed those cartoons - and not because "it's wrong to offend Islam", but because given the context we're operating in here, it's extremely distasteful to print trite garbage like that. It's like shooting someone and stealing their things, then mocking them and spitting on them.

Those newspapers had every right to print those cartoons consequence free, but they should never have printed them in the first place, for the reasons I listed above.

I guess you are happy being as free as muslim law allows you to be.
Good for you, but others like to be free without those constrictions.
How you like that context.:icon_chee

I guess you are happy being as free as muslim law allows you to be.
Good for you, but others like to be free without those constrictions.
How you like that context.:icon_chee

We've become an alliance of nations that enables and almost celebrates the bombing and killing of innocent people - then we insult those same people in our print media. It's fucking bad, man. It's something the Axis might have got up too in the 30's.

I'd also like to point out just how scary the situation we've created is. The border to Mexico is not secure, people are coming over it all the time. Mexico is in the middle of a chaotic drug war. What if some terrorist organization sets up in Mexico under cover of all this drug chaos and starts sneaking people over the border? It's not unimaginable. We keep killing people and insulting people and leaving our borders open. It's arrogant and it's crazy.

Back