So can people lift with sculiosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
A friend of mine wanted to start exercising again. She used to be a meter reader so was in "good enough" shape. (I disagree but whatever) but I'm not sure what someone with seroius sculiosis can even do? I mean she's 5'6" and would be 5'8.5" if she didn't have it. She got what she felt was heavy (I didn't see it I can't comment) and decided to never get that way again so lost weight over the last 18 months and is down to 135 which is friggin skinny. She starts grad school in 10 days and seriously asked me for advice to workout.

I've tried to get her to swim (figure it would help the back) thats out. She'll do anything else logical though. Its like everything I know to have her do, she can't do. any advice would be appreciated. She can bend over annd pick stuff up, but if its heavy her back hurts for days after.

See an orthopedist - that's what she should do.

Good point should have answered it, she has one, they figure in 3 years she's getting operated on. But I"m looking at a temporary fitness/health perspective. Until she starts working out again she's goingn to loose weight and thats bad. She is cleared to workout, she had to get permission to take a gym class at school last year (she needed a filler)

A female friend of mine had scoliosis, and she was told by her physio that she should be doing shit like deadlifts and woodchoppers to strengthen the muscles around her spine. Sound like her case is less severe though.

Shit like sprinting, burpees, pull ups, and sledge/tire work comes to mind.

Definitely. I would think isolation work would be fine, but compound movements like squats, deads and OHP would probably be off-limits. But I'm no doctor, so I don't really have a fucking clue.

If the doctor told her she needs surgery in 3 years without recommending or prescribing physical therapy first, she should go see a different doctor to get a second opinion, or ask her doctor about physical therapy. Its hard to give recommendation if you don't know exactly what is causing her scoliosis.

Yes should get a second opinion and fitness program from an orthopedist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back