snatches

G

Gavin LeFever

anyone use these a lot? i really like major and olympic lifts over any others but i haven't done a snatch before. i've seen it online in pics (ex. http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/simonton/wl/snatch.html) but never first hand so i'm a little warry about trying it since i dont have a trainer or anything.

i dont think i'd have learned how to do a power clean properly without someone there to teach me the form.

ms3-fig1.gif

Snatch.gif

If I were you I wouldn't bother trying to get into a full squat snatch until you have a lot of training time/experience behind you, the position is too difficult to learn all in one. My suggestion if you can't get a coach would be to just give it a go on light weights, beginning to learn off blocks (ie starting with the bar around the height of the knees) and learning more of the movement as time goes on (checking technique with video and posting questions).

Good luck, it's probably the most rewarding and annoying lift all at the same time.

i can do clean and jerk (my fav lift) np so i'm hoping snatch will come natural but i doubt it as clean was very unnatural.

i learned clean with the bar too, to get the muscle memory and balance so i'm probably going that route to teach myself the snatch. i do have the benifit of a fully mirrored wall.

If you are looking at yourself in the mirror while you learn to snatch you're going to end up killing yourself. Focus on getting the bar overhead in one swift motion, work the kinks out through repetition, and after some practice, read some pointers on technique to fix your terrible form.

Ramdon question...if you miss lift during a oly set...does the missed rep count?

From my experence though incorporating them into my training...sometimes you are not focused, not enough chalk...there are many reasons that you can miss a lift that you can normally do.

anvar said:
Ramdon question...if you miss lift during a oly set...does the missed rep count?
Generally yes, however if you're making good technical progress it isn't uncommon to extend your snatching with additional sets (assuming the technique is improving rather than deteriorating).

Try not to do it too often, but sometimes I've had to snatch for 1.5 hours (going back up and down with weights, including warmups), it sucks but it's just too tempting to do one more set and try figure out your problems.

rEmY said:
that chick has a hot snatch.

sorry, i couldnt resist.

They're gonna etch this joke on your tombstone, Remy.

one of the personal trainers at my gym rolls with us and i got him to refer me to the PT who specializes in Oly lifts. having good mount control can be rewarding. :D

anywho, if he's not busy today i'm going to try to work with it, if not, i've got squats as planned.

Back