smolov

cincymma79

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Anybody try this yet?

I'm on week one and the lifts seem easy thusfar. I'm doing the 8 sets of 4 tomorrow at 80%. Seems like at the end if I did the highest weights they list I'd still be ok assuming a modest gain. They promise 15 to 40 pounds to my bench. I can do 325 now, barely failed 330. So 40 should be right at my goal but 15 would let me at least put a 10 on each side of that third plate. Hope it works

didnt even know that smolov exists!! haha but good to be in here...will read about it and learn...maybe use it even!

smolov

<sigh>

I am not going to post links, search this forum with "smolov" in the thread title. You can also search workout logs in a similar manner.

Smolov or Smolov Jr? Smolov for bench sounds frightening. I did Jr and it was the best thing that ever happened to my bench. Added 30 lbs.

I have always loved and hated smolov. If its easy you are doing it wrong.

I also did Smolov Jr. for bench and saw the best gains I've ever made on that lift...however, I also developed a shoulder impingement. It definitely works, but it turns out there are drawbacks to benching 4x/week. Who'da thunkit?

Yes. It:

1.) Induces great short-term results as a high volume/frequency "shock" cycle.

2.) Leads to results that typically don't last (or don't last in full) after volume/frequency returns to normal.

3.) Isn't really a sustainable training system by virtue of its excess.

4.) Accompanies the prospect of a high reward with an equally high risk.

So, I've been running smolov after fixing my knees and had a couple of thoughts.

Week 5 is kicking my arse, pushing 132kgx9 for 4 sets when I've only squatted 120 for the last couple of years due to injury was fun.

I was musing that in 13 weeks there's not going to be much hypertrophy so really the benefits are neuromuscular adaption. I deadlift 220kg for 12 so my historical 1RM of 160 for squat indicates to me that there is plenty of gain to be made there.

I've certainly felt that the biggest benefit has been the volume on successive days, my squat now is a precise movement, I know what to expect from the weight and how it will feel. With the feet and knees being more parallel I'm finding the hole feels like a leg press with the abdomen pushing into the thighs and that feels real strong.

Basically it seems to me that the smolov programs main benefit is realising your squat potential through adaption which is probably why people find it hard afterwards because they revert to relying on further hypertrophy for gains.

I think it's a perfect thing for me to be doing at the moment in my journey, a large part because it's near daily coaching in proper knee tracking. I've been remiss on my rehab and I've been finding that my knees are continuing to feel better each day with the squatting.

Ah rains stopped, back to work.

Yes. It:

2.) Leads to results that typically don't last (or don't last in full) after volume/frequency returns to normal.

Got to a 600lbs squat with Smolov and kept it a year later. May run it again to see what other gains I can make.

Yes. It:

Stated perfectly. DId Jr for Back squats. 30lb PR at end of cycle...one month later, ruptured L4/5 disc. Wish I had never seen the words "Smolov"

Stated perfectly. DId Jr for Back squats. 30lb PR at end of cycle...one month later, ruptured L4/5 disc. Wish I had never seen the words "Smolov"
I dont see how injuring yourself a month after the cycle makes the program bad. Seems like your technique may have been off or you didn't wear a belt perhaps?

I dont see how injuring yourself a month after the cycle makes the program bad. Seems like your technique may have been off or you didn't wear a belt perhaps?
Was there technique issues? Possibly. Not saying it's "Bad" just that it comes with a lot of risk. Consider this...the volume is super intense, you see a pretty big jump in a month, you then start a new cycle where you 1RM is signicantly higher making all of your working sets very difficult...with little ramp time due to the quick gains of Smolov. Just feel a longer, gradual climb is better.

Personally, I would never do it again or recommend it.

Well I made it through 5 weeks, changed from jr to smolov in week 3 because it felt so good. 4th week felt tough but I felt great for conquering it.

My coach moved pre season training forward to Nov from Jan so I needed to stop and focus on my prehab and some more explosive stuff. Coach doesn't seem to understand the need for an off season, and for lazy fucks I can see the benefits but for the motivated like me it screws with my plans.

I found sprinting really painful, on knees and lower back but a couple of weeks of stretching hip flexors and quads and I'm feeling good again.

Anyway, what I learned was that I could squat a hell of a lot more and feel good under the bar. Greased the groove thoroughly. Now using 160kg as my TM but to be honest that feels light, need to properly test myself.

Back