Smolov squat cycle question

PWR1982

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking I'd give this a try, or at least the base mesocycle.
My max is 330, and I just don't find it possible to do what the program says.
Week 1 could be done, but I don't see myself doing a triple with 304.

Should I still give this a try? I don't find the first week that hard, besides doing 231 x 9 ( I have problems as reps go up, I'm pretty tired by the time I warm up with 135 x 10 -seriously, probably because I haven't done more than 3 reps for a pretty long time). I don't think the volume is that bad, but I just don't see myself being able to squat 304 x 3 a week later. I suppose that 253 x 9 would be possible, I mean while I suck at reps as high as these, it would be possible to grind it out, if I take a 5 second rest between each rep, or even more. But 304 x 3, I just can't imagine that... maybe it's just me, but the difference between my 3rm and 1rm is quite big I would say.

That is how it looks for everyone. Trust me you can do what it says i thought the same during my run. Do it, eat plenty, sleep plenty.

Yes it is possible. The Smolov gets you well prepared for the 4th and 5th week and if you really want to, you'll do it...

but....

Don't do the Smolov dude, seriously. Your squat is too low for you to go through all that misery, not to mention the risks. Just do the some Texas Method and Starr 5x5. After you pass the 365 or 375 you can do a Verhoshansky Peak plan that will still give you great gains for a 6 week plan, and it is not that extreme.

Of course I am definately biased, but, for most people, working through the entire 5 by 5 progression of programs before you go on is by far the fastest way to make progress. I am sure Smolov is great, but its not gonna add to a 300lb squat like 5 by 5 is.

The VAST majority of people are gonna be ssquatting way over 400lbs before they finish the intermediate level of 5 by 5, and its not gonna take near as long as if you went to another program that you werent really ready for.

Yes it is possible. The Smolov gets you well prepared for the 4th and 5th week and if you really want to, you'll do it...

but....

Don't do the Smolov dude, seriously. Your squat is too low for you to go through all that misery, not to mention the risks. Just do the some Texas Method and Starr 5x5. After you pass the 365 or 375 you can do a Verhoshansky Peak plan that will still give you great gains for a 6 week plan, and it is not that extreme.

Lisen to the above Smolov is to advanced for you do a 5x5.

Ok then. I've been just doing a lot of squat triples almost every day for the past 3 months, and I've made some good gains. I'll try some 5x5 for another 3 months and see how it goes.

There's a ton of 5x5 programs though, madcow, texas method, bill starr. Could someone tell me which one to do, and maybe link me to a site that will have a lot of information about it? I also can't really do power cleans, would substituting for more rows be fine?

The best way to approach it is to start with the one where you ramp up to one hard set of 5 in each exercise, this is the beginner program. If you cant do powercleans the following exercise selection will work

Monday

squat
bench
row

Wednesday

front squat
military press
chinups

friday

squat
bench
deadlift

Start light and make small increases each week. If you do this right you should get a couple of months of gains out of it at least. I am writing an article for the stronglifts website on how to properly transition from this to the intermediate form of the workout, then the advanced form. When that article goes up, I will link it for you...

The best way to approach it is to start with the one where you ramp up to one hard set of 5 in each exercise, this is the beginner program. If you cant do powercleans the following exercise selection will work

Monday

squat
bench
row

Wednesday

front squat
military press
chinups

friday

squat
bench
deadlift

Start light and make small increases each week. If you do this right you should get a couple of months of gains out of it at least. I am writing an article for the stronglifts website on how to properly transition from this to the intermediate form of the workout, then the advanced form. When that article goes up, I will link it for you...

cool, cant wait, could you please post it here, I am sure others would like to read it. thanks =D

So say my 5rm for squat is 264, and that's really extreme, technique isn't that great on the last 2 reps, and bar speed isn't that good, I really have to grind out those last 2 reps. How much should I lower the weight?

Just now, let's say I lower it to 240. By ramping up to one hard set of squats, you mean that I will warm up with something like 135 x 6, 160 x 3, and then go 180x5,195x5,210x5,225x5,240x5? Or should the difference between each set be smaller than that? This is the monday back squat workout. How much weight should I add to each set on friday? Or should I instead add weight too all the exercises each week?

Thanks a lot for the answers so far.

So say my 5rm for squat is 264, and that's really extreme, technique isn't that great on the last 2 reps, and bar speed isn't that good, I really have to grind out those last 2 reps. How much should I lower the weight?

Just now, let's say I lower it to 240. By ramping up to one hard set of squats, you mean that I will warm up with something like 135 x 6, 160 x 3, and then go 180x5,195x5,210x5,225x5,240x5? Or should the difference between each set be smaller than that? This is the monday back squat workout. How much weight should I add to each set on friday? Or should I instead add weight too all the exercises each week?

Thanks a lot for the answers so far.

You could use this for or just use it for guidance, it shows you the weight increase for every exercise. Its a little different from what Glenn listed, but not much.

My squat was 330 and I did smolov and got it to 375 by the end of the base cycle.

I think you forgot to post a link or something.

Your 1RM is 330 and your 5RM is only 264? That seems really out of whack. I know everyone is a little different but when I hit 315 for 1, my 5RM was 290. Your numbers seem a little odd...

Your 1RM is 330 and your 5RM is only 264? That seems really out of whack. I know everyone is a little different but when I hit 315 for 1, my 5RM was 290. Your numbers seem a little odd...

I have no idea what my 5rm is, but yes, my numbers are a pretty odd. My 1rm is 330, maybe 340-350 at the moment, and my maximum possible 3rm is 297. I don't know why, it could have something to do with the fact that I'm doing mainly paused, or concentric squats (because I lift at home with sawhorses).

Thanks for the link crza.

Interesting. I just started the 5x5 program listed in the FAQ. Doesn't have ramping except on Fridays. I know my squat isn't that high (315 lbs) so would I be better off going on a ramping progression similar to how its set up from the madcow calc CRZA linked?

Interesting. I just started the 5x5 program listed in the FAQ. Doesn't have ramping except on Fridays. I know my squat isn't that high (315 lbs) so would I be better off going on a ramping progression similar to how its set up from the madcow calc CRZA linked?

I see these questions SO often, I am in the midst of writing an article explaining how to use the various 5 by 5 programs, which one to use first, etc. I will like to it here in a day or two.

I see these questions SO often, I am in the midst of writing an article explaining how to use the various 5 by 5 programs, which one to use first, etc. I will like to it here in a day or two.

I bet you do and I would definitely read that article. Thanks Glenn.

^^ The calculator works by taking a percentage of the numbers you enter, which means that it works in lbs as well as kgs.

Back