Smolov JR?

Was Exiled

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone have an experience on it? Thinking of trying to for bench. What's the deal with accessory work? I usually do DB shoulder and DB incline bench press after doing flat BB, would this hinder progress?

There are a lot of people in here that have done it before. I would just follow the program as is without assistance exercises.

I did it for bench and didn't use any accessory pressing movements. Benching 4x a week will be more than enough.

If I were running it, I wouldn't add any accessory press movements. Carry on with the rest of your training as is (squat/deadlift/whatever). It's only 3 weeks. Save the DB work for when you're done.

Lol just remembered I did it for pull ups as well. Didn't do any other row or bigger pull movement during that time. Sometimes I did light facepulls but that was it.

I've done it multiple times for bench, as well as having done regular smolov for squats. Smolov Jr. for bench is a TON easier. You definitely don't need any other pressing work, but feel free to continue working lower body as normal, and definitely add a pulling motion in there to offset all that pressing. Personally, every time I've done it I've supersetted the bench sets with identical sets of weighted chins, and I've had good results for both. Just make extra sure you're doing lots of proper pre-hab, recovery and mobility work for your shoulders to avoid injury. Don't slack on this.

I've done it multiple times for bench, as well as having done regular smolov for squats. Smolov Jr. for bench is a TON easier. You definitely don't need any other pressing work, but feel free to continue working lower body as normal, and definitely add a pulling motion in there to offset all that pressing. Personally, every time I've done it I've supersetted the bench sets with identical sets of weighted chins, and I've had good results for both. Just make extra sure you're doing lots of proper pre-hab, recovery and mobility work for your shoulders to avoid injury. Don't slack on this.
Will do, thanks

So I tested my 1rm max today at 192lbs although I didn't look up how to properly prepare for a 1rm, I just kinda winged it. I'll update the thread after I run Smolov jr

Whats your bodyweight? If its not a bodyweight bench or above, I'd skip the smolov jr and keep with linear programming.

Whats your bodyweight? If its not a bodyweight bench or above, I'd skip the smolov jr and keep with linear programming.

Agreed. Unless you weigh like a buck 30, there's no reason to jump into smolov until you've reached a higher level.

As a general rule I'd say if you don't even know how to prepare for a max, you probably aren't experienced enough for Smolov.

Back