smoking kobe/ American waygu beef ribs.

Good stuff...sounds like you've got a good grip on what you're doing. I hope it all comes out great and try and post pics if you can before you inhale the ribs. haha

Could I pick your brain and aside from the back membrane and any huge chucks of fat haven't really got to check them out yet as they are still cryo sacked. Would you remove any thing else?

All I was gonna do to prep them was remove the back membrane and any huge chuncks of fat. Not gonna go crazy as I do think fat means flavor sue me lol.

Kobe is not American Waygu...two very different breeds of meat. American Wagyu is Japanese Wagyu crossed with American Angus. Kobe is Japanese Wagyu from a very specific region in Japan, and the cow also has to have high marbling to be designated as Kobe. For $10/Lb you've got American Wagyu...which is still awesome beef.

Outside of doing "milk-steak" style beef ribs, smoking is definitely the best option. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Wagyu beef, but it has a huge amount of internal fat (marbling) compared to what we normally see in the US. I cook Wagyu briskets for competition and something I notice is that I need to cook them to a much higher internal temperature to finish melting all that extra internal fat. That internal fat FEELS nice and tender when it's warm, so using my normal "probe technique" for tenderness and doneness doesn't work so well with Wagyu. So I take all Wagyu that's being smoked to an internal temp of 207-211 before I pull it off the cooker...better to have the meat be a bit over tender than to pull it off early and still have a bunch of unmelted fat that's chewy and unpleasant.

Otherwise I'd treat it exactly like a normal beef rib. Put on your favorite rub (or go simple with salt and pepper) and make sure to get some nice, clean smoke. What kind of cooker are you using?

This guy knows what the fuck he’s talking about.

Boil in milk for 12 minutes. Garnish with jellybeans
46d5dbf9d6b5db6fffd9449cb2427d44.jpg
giphy.gif

I was gonna make a joke about kobes ribes already being smoked, but someone beat me to it

long story short my local butcher over ordered. So I got two 8lb 4 rib racks at cost for being a loyal and consist customer of his for 160$ fucking score I think.

He said do it like I would regular beef ribs was just wondering what you guys think.

Not going crazy with the rub or mop sauce as I want to actually taste the beef on these Flintstone size ribs. A dash of garlic p. onion p. salt and black pepper for the rub. Mop sauce will be apple cider, worstirshire, soy sauce, beef stock and apple cider vinegar.

smoked with red oak and a splash of pecan apple and cherry at 225F till done.

Just curious what you guys think.
I think you’re on point. Share results

Could I pick your brain and aside from the back membrane and any huge chucks of fat haven't really got to check them out yet as they are still cryo sacked. Would you remove any thing else?

All I was gonna do to prep them was remove the back membrane and any huge chuncks of fat. Not gonna go crazy as I do think fat means flavor sue me lol.

I'm going to offer a different opinion : leave the membrane on. I don't cook a ton of beef ribs, but there's no meat on the bottom of the bone, so there's no real need to remove the membrane. It's not like there's a ton of meat under there that you're trying to get smoke and rub on to. Also, that beef rib membrane actually holds up pretty well during cooking, and it gives the ribs a bit of "structure" while they're cooking. It just helps keep everything together so it all cooks nice and even.

As for trimming I'd do exactly what you're stating ; get rid of any heavy fat that you don't want to eat. The only fat that really matters for flavor is the intramuscular fat, which is the marbling. Any and all exterior fat will melt and roll right off the meat. While this can be looked at as basting it has no impact on the moisture in the final product.

Ok what site to use to use to upload simple couple pictures to this site now cot damn lol

Only thing i trimmed off it was a strip of silver skin what you see on the plate is what came off both racks.

Rub nothing special or fancy
galric power,onion powder smoked paprika, salt, white pepper ran out of black (oh well not getting a dui or dwi for pepper lol) and ground mustard.
pic 1 was start
2 after trimmed
4 is just after rub
5 is about 10 mins of the rub sitting before rewraping and tossing back in the fridge.

Only thing i trimmed off it was a strip of silver skin what you see on the plate is what came off both racks.

Rub nothing special or fancy
galric power,onion powder smoked paprika, salt, white pepper ran out of black (oh well not getting a dui or dwi for pepper lol) and ground mustard.
pic 1 was start
2 after trimmed
4 is just after rub
5 is about 10 mins of the rub sitting before rewraping and tossing back in the fridge.
Why is there a pen mark at 3.5" on your tape measure

So @usmctanker242 I took your advice and left the membrane on. if this comes out bad. I am taking this wretched thing to NC and putting it threw your window lol.

Actually though it was odd it looked like a second fat cap underneath. It had the membrane but then a layer of fat under it. So I said fuck it and left it. I have done a bunch of beef ribs before but never saw that.

Could have sworn I took a pic of it but I guess I didn't.

Last edited:
So @usmctanker242 I took your advice and left the membrane on. if this comes out bad. I am taking this wretched thing to NC and putting it threw your window lol.

Actually though it was odd it looked like a second fat cap underneath. It had the membrane but then a layer of fat under it. So I said fuck it and left it. I have done a bunch of beef ribs before but never saw that.

Could have sworn I took a pic of it but I guess I didn't.

LMAO... Waygu beef (even not cooked well) is ungodly delicious, so feel free to come and assault me with your meat. ; )

Beef ribs are strange where there is a layer of fat right down the middle of the meat...you CAN trim it out but you'll be losing a ton of meat by going that way. As long as you cook to tenderness you're going to have some amazing grub right there...that marbling is INSANE!

Back