Smith machine numbers...

sprawl&brawl

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just have to ask... I've already done the search function. My question is? How much can more can people lift with a smith machine? I mean i'm a 350 lbs bencher. and i never touch the smith machine. it seems that almost anybody can throw 2 45's on each side and throw some reps up. The gym i go to the dudes love the smith machine. Is it because they can get more weight up? Lets say a dude does 8 reps at 225 on the smith machine i wonder how many reps they can do on the standard bench with full range of motion? Any kind of pound descripency?

The Smith Machine is definitely "easier" then real free weights. I would say that someone who normally does freeweight bench would be able to press more weight, but not too much more. However, someone who has only done Smith Machine or Hammerstrength bench will normally press MUCH MUCH less than what they can do on their machines. The reason is that a freeweight bench press trains you for free range of motion, requiring you to use your synergist, stabilizer and core muscles to control the descent and ascent, while the guided fixed plane of the machine only require you push the weight as hard as you can. Once you are outside of that specific plane without a rail to guide you, your "hard-earned" strength goes out the window.

There's no magic formula for it, as it really depends on the individual; just try out the Smith machine yourself and see what you max on. Then challenge your gym "buddies" to a bench contest with free weights.

A study in my health book showed that trained lifters squat a great deal more on the Smith Machine than they do with freeweights, but that they bench slightly less on a Smith Machine than they do with real weights. I believe they attributed the disparity to the unnaturally rigid line of motion on the Smith.

You have to remember, though, that an unloaded Smith Machine bar typically only weighs 15 pounds as opposed to the 45 pound Olympic bar. When they look like they're throwing around 135, they're actually only throwing around 105. On top of this, the bar decelerates more slowly than a freeweight bar, making it a bit easier at the bottom end of the motion as far as I can tell.

ChrisDracula said:
i do 200 reg and 230 on smith machine

And here, I believe, is a good example of the fact that most folks don't know the Smith bar weighs 30 less than a standard one.

Well it depends. The one in my gym weighs around 40-45. The one in another gym I go to weighs 0. You can position it at a height and it will stay there. Not all of them weigh 15 lb.

HULKAMANIA said:
A study in my health book showed that trained lifters squat a great deal more on the Smith Machine than they do with freeweights, but that they bench slightly less on a Smith Machine than they do with real weights. I believe they attributed the disparity to the unnaturally rigid line of motion on the Smith.

You have to remember, though, that an unloaded Smith Machine bar typically only weighs 15 pounds as opposed to the 45 pound Olympic bar. When they look like they're throwing around 135, they're actually only throwing around 105. On top of this, the bar decelerates more slowly than a freeweight bar, making it a bit easier at the bottom end of the motion as far as I can tell.

That's true for me, I hate benching on the Smith Machine, the movement seems weird and I've always been able to do more on freeweight

There is also a certain amount of friction which depends on the machine, makes movements harder on the concentric motion but easier on the eccentric motion.

True re the Smith Machine for benching. Also, if the sliding bars on the Smith Machine are not oiled then it takes even more effort to raise the bar, as was/is the case in a couple of gyms I've seen. All in all, its better to do freeweights because, as has been said, of the stabalizer muscles...

Back