Small question about 'turtling'...

4:20, check out Nogueira's foot grabby technique. A nifty one occasionally

I think more important than the cool leg hook thingy there is to watch how he puts his knee in to start breaking the turtle. To many people try and go foot first when attempting to break into someone's turtle. I like how he uses the knee to open up turtle an to get in deep.

Excuse my late response, guys, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. The fella that likes to turtle up on me missed a few sessions so I haven't had the chance to try and counter it yet, but I think I'm going to stick with trying to gain control of his back as was suggested earlier rather than going for something else just yet. It's great to see how many options there are though, very interesting to keep in mind. Thanks again everyone.

And don't get frustrated, if someone turtles up on you in practice get a nice smile on your face and think of it as a fun puzzle to figure out. I mean you aren't in danger and the big ol' bastard isn't on top of you with all his weight.:icon_chee

And don't get frustrated, if someone turtles up on you in practice get a nice smile on your face and think of it as a fun puzzle to figure out. I mean you aren't in danger and the big ol' bastard isn't on top of you with all his weight.:icon_chee

I will second this. when I roll with the bruisers in the gym, if they turtle it feels like a Christmas gift. I just have to figure out how to unwrap it :)

I would again like to emphasize that as a new student, you should still be focusing on being able to take the back, rather than bailing on that opportunity and trying to work on alternatives to attacking the turtle position.

Voice of reason here.

Work first on the techniques necessary to take the back in this situation on a consistent basis THEN add submissions, attacks and transitions. If you become proficient at taking the back from top-turtle they'll have to respect that and it'll make your other transitions and finishes more effective.

Position before submission.

Let them sit there like an idiot. If this was the street you could be hitting them in the spine or whatever. If they want to train unrealistically in a position they think is magically safe, leave them to turtle and go get a drink.

The reason you couldn't take his back is lack of skill, not the size difference. You're probably doing it wrong. Keep working at taking the back, and if you can, ask your instructor what you're doing wrong. Go for one hook at a time, near side first. Get head and arm control before doing this.

This guy I know kept doing this one day and one of my instructors rolled with him and did a move I thought was pretty good.

What he would do basically is grab the guys belt and the back of his collar and jerk him as hard as he could. I'm not sure how to proceed from there because I was rolling while I was watching this and didn't see the follow up.

The easiest and quickest way to open up a turtle is to grab the back of the collar and the belt while on your feet and give them a good strong jerk forward and up. This will usually give you some room to work, but only for a second, you need to be quick on your follow-up.

This is the one my instructor uses he's into Judo a lot to

Just as a little precusor... I'm a white belt and one of the smallest guys at my gym. At training the other night I was rolling with a guy that was roughly twice my size, and several times he'd just turtle up, face to floor, with his arms, head, etc all tucked in. I tried to get his back from this position but there wasn't enough room for me to hook his legs, and due to the size difference he was able to buck me off before I had too much time to work. He wasn't able to do anything offensively from this position, of course, but there didn't seem to be anything I could do to stop it either. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking perhaps there was some way to sweep him over onto his back, but I couldn't figure it out during the roll.

There is a whole wack of stuff you can try on an opponent in who is in turtle. There is a bunch of videos on YouTube showing how to take the back or get him in a crucifix from there. You could also hunt for a sub like a clock choke, brabo choke, peruvian neck tie, anaconda choke etc.
Turtle seems to come up a lot either from failed shots or just scrambles so it's a good idea to have some solid options. I would suggest taking the back if possible. Also on the defensive side practice reclaiming guard from on the bottom in turtle.

This is below the belt (not literally) but there are pressure points on the ribs that you can get if you just grab them. They are located about half way down the ribs (between the fifth and sixth). This will cause people to move because they really hurt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back