• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Slipped disk, sciatica nerve pinched

It goes without saying that you would normally be prudent to exhaust non invasive therapies before you go to surgical intervention.

But for some back injuries surgery is required.

I don't think I have heard anyone say anything different.

Agreed, as it was mentioned in post #35

Surgery should be the very last resort.

Yeah, this is terrible. I love my job and really am worried what this could do to it. I really just want to heal right. 4 months would be terrible to miss, but some guys have missed more. Lol at me telling everyone I’ll be back in 2 weeks.
How are your health benefits? Since you're a fighter fighter you must have excellent benefits. It sounds like you suffered this injury at work so you should qualify for workers compensation for as long as you need to heal up. Also, since you have numbness in your leg and lower extremities, I suspect you do have some pinch nerve or discs in your spine/back. which is very serious and should be fixed immediately and properly so you don't have lasting and long term effects. Seems like you have already taken the steps to making your health and recovery a priority like getting and MRI and mitigating the pain the best way you can.

Hey, anyone here have some experience with this. I do t really have many irl friends outside of my wife and her family and coworkers. I’m bedridden and if horrific pain. I get an mri tomorrow and hope it turns out well. Right now I have to pee, but I can’t move. The pain is unreal, like being stabbed in the hip and knee at the same time. I’m on meds already and it helps. But I still am unable to sleep. Just wanted to chim in because I’m really hurting and just want someone to talk to.

Sorry, pal. That sounds like no kind of fun.

My other half has been off work since mid-March with something similar, though yours sounds much worse.

Herniated discs suck. Most of the time, there are no issues. But all it takes is me getting careless once, and it's a week of pain. Tried all the shit out there other than surgery. Might end up doing it eventually, we'll see. Also, whoever invented icy hot patches. Thank you. They really helped me get through the worst of times.

Had a pinched nerve in my neck and that sucked balls. Good luck Sherbro

Its rough. Mine was in my right leg, calf and foot. Stepping on the gas was difficult, walking around feeling like somebody beat your calf up with a baseball bat. Constant nerve pain when taking a step...so chiropractor 1x per week for 6 months, until the nerve relaxes. periformis stretches 2x day until the pinch heals to a bearable level. Painkillers dont help much. Buy a $100 inversion table from big5 for weekly stretching the disc problem.

Inversion table may not be the best thing to do right after an injury...or at least what I have found. I just re-injured my back and I think I am going to have to get my back back in alignment then use the inversion table

The best thing I found for my back issues was something like this.
BJVyhjY.png

Its amazing how quick it helped post injuring. Use it three times a day for a week and wow.

Okay, update. The MRI came back and it’s a pretty badly herniated disk. It’s not just pinching the sciatic nerve, it’s pinching the entire nerve group of my left leg. So that’s why my entire leg is either numb or in pain. When I mentioned the recovery of sciatica she looked at me like I asked if ice cream would cure me, and said this is not sciatica it’s much worse. They represcribed my pills and are having me go to pain management and physical therapy.

I got my herniated disc cut out over 5 years ago never had a recurrence of pain since was totally worth it weirdly enough I have another herniated 1 right above the one that got cut out that's never given me an issue

I’ve never slipped a disc but I just had 3 of them replaced in my cervical spine

not a pleasant experience

I’ve never slipped a disc but I just had 3 of them replaced in my cervical spine

not a pleasant experience

What was your recovery time?

They keep getting better at these type of things with less invasive surgeries. A friend of mine had spinal surgery in the late 1990s and at that time it involved moving the intestines to get to the anterior side of the spine and it took a while for his intestines to start working well again and he spent a couple of weeks in a hospital.

A guy I watch on YouTube fell off a ladder on the Fourth of July and broke his spine. The doctor offered him two options. Either about six months in a back brace or surgery to repair the vertebrae with about 12 weeks recovery. He was able to go home a couple of days after the surgery. I think he had the surgery on the 7th or 8th and he posted a video today that was probably recorded over the weekend and he is walking around fairly well.

A lot of people with dodgy backs on this site. Concerning.

I used to have issues with my lower back, to the point where getting up off the bed was an act that I had to mentally prepare for. Was utterly draining, but nothing compared to what you guys have gone through.

Oddly enough, sitting on the toilet made it worse, same with bending over whilst in the shower.

I haven't had it that badly since I stopped doing military presses with a barbell at the gym. Dumb fucking exercise.

What was your recovery time?

They keep getting better at these type of things with less invasive surgeries. A friend of mine had spinal surgery in the late 1990s and at that time it involved moving the intestines to get to the anterior side of the spine and it took a while for his intestines to start working well again and he spent a couple of weeks in a hospital.

A guy I watch on YouTube fell off a ladder on the Fourth of July and broke his spine. The doctor offered him two options. Either about six months in a back brace or surgery to repair the vertebrae with about 12 weeks recovery. He was able to go home a couple of days after the surgery. I think he had the surgery on the 7th or 8th and he posted a video today that was probably recorded over the weekend and he is walking around fairly well.
Just to give alittle background on it

I started having this shooting almost electric sensation down my arms into my middle fingers once in awhile

few months later started to get a tiny pain in my neck and shooting down my right arm, neurospinal surgeon wanted to just do physical therapy for a few months because I’m so young didn’t want to go surgery route. MRI just saw discs were badly herniated.

wait time for therapy was almost 3 months

One day about 2 months later I woke up out of sleep at like 6am in SEVERE pain, I’ve had lots of surgeries and injuries, collapsed lung, all kinds of stuff so I have a high pain tolerance but this was absolutely brutal. I was shaking almost throwing up, couldn’t move or feel my right arm at all, couldn’t move my hand.

they got me in the emergency room where I was for about 5 days all doped up until my surgeon (who is amazing) could get in there.

they opened me up from the front of my neck which I thought was weird but he’s top notch and said that’s how it’s done.

surgery was about 4 and a half hours. After I woke up I couldn’t move much at all. He said the discs were some of the most severely herniated he’s ever seen and I had arthritis in there. Also bone spurring growing out into my nerve sleeve which is what made it so painful. He was able to put these big #12 screws in instead of the little ones they usually use because I had thick bones in my neck.

immediately after I woke up I could feel my hand and arm again and the pain was almost entirely gone which was amazing

About 2 weeks until I could start moving my head around by myself, I just had no strength in my neck felt like a pez dispenser, had to kindof roll in and out of bed, a lot of pain.

after that got steadily better and stronger. At 2 months or so I felt MUCH MUCH better and was able to do whatever without any pain outside of alittle soreness.

Neck was swollen up pretty bad for about a week then started to go down

That was in the end of January. Alittle soreness here and there but I’m pretty good. Been exercising again and trying to build up alittle fitness. Getting the coordination and control in my hand back took a few weeks and the strength is the last thing to come. Still have a VERY hard time pressing at all on my right side. It just doesn’t want to move. Have to keep working on it.

overall it was a tough few weeks but got better fast after the surgery. Guy did and unbelievable job.

if anybody needs a top notch neurospinal guy in the tristate area hit me up I’ll give you his info. He’s world class.

Just to give alittle background on it

I started having this shooting almost electric sensation down my arms into my middle fingers once in awhile

few months later started to get a tiny pain in my neck and shooting down my right arm, neurospinal surgeon wanted to just do physical therapy for a few months because I’m so young didn’t want to go surgery route. MRI just saw discs were badly herniated.

wait time for therapy was almost 3 months

One day about 2 months later I woke up out of sleep at like 6am in SEVERE pain, I’ve had lots of surgeries and injuries, collapsed lung, all kinds of stuff so I have a high pain tolerance but this was absolutely brutal. I was shaking almost throwing up, couldn’t move or feel my right arm at all, couldn’t move my hand.

they got me in the emergency room where I was for about 5 days all doped up until my surgeon (who is amazing) could get in there.

they opened me up from the front of my neck which I thought was weird but he’s top notch and said that’s how it’s done.

surgery was about 4 and a half hours. After I woke up I couldn’t move much at all. He said the discs were some of the most severely herniated he’s ever seen and I had arthritis in there. Also bone spurring growing out into my nerve sleeve which is what made it so painful. He was able to put these big #12 screws in instead of the little ones they usually use because I had thick bones in my neck.

immediately after I woke up I could feel my hand and arm again and the pain was almost entirely gone which was amazing

About 2 weeks until I could start moving my head around by myself, I just had no strength in my neck felt like a pez dispenser, had to kindof roll in and out of bed, a lot of pain.

after that got steadily better and stronger. At 2 months or so I felt MUCH MUCH better and was able to do whatever without any pain outside of alittle soreness.

Neck was swollen up pretty bad for about a week then started to go down

That was in the end of January. Alittle soreness here and there but I’m pretty good. Been exercising again and trying to build up alittle fitness. Getting the coordination and control in my hand back took a few weeks and the strength is the last thing to come. Still have a VERY hard time pressing at all on my right side. It just doesn’t want to move. Have to keep working on it.

overall it was a tough few weeks but got better fast after the surgery. Guy did and unbelievable job.

if anybody needs a top notch neurospinal guy in the tristate area hit me up I’ll give you his info. He’s world class.

It sounds like you had a very similar surgery to the one that I'm scheduled to have on August 30th.

My cervical spine is pretty badly compromised by my boxing career. I had an excellent chin & a hard head so I tended to walk through my opponent's punches a lot & use my neck as a shock absorber. And it basically ruined my neck for later in life. I already had one surgery to repair some of the damage back in 2017 where they went in through the back. But it didn't accomplish what they wanted so now I have to have a rebuild where they're going to go in through the side & put some rods & screws in. Apparently, the reason I'm in such severe pain now is that my spinal cord & nerves are being impinged. Which hurts like hell. My doctor will probably put me on Oxycodone after the surgery but I'm hoping that after the ( hopefully successful ) surgery I'll be able to go back to taking just four or five Vicodin a day.

So for you guys going thru this, are there 4 or 5 things you guys would do, if you had your time over again, to try and prevent or minimize the chance of your issue happening (bad accidents aside)?

A lot of people with dodgy backs on this site. Concerning.

I used to have issues with my lower back, to the point where getting up off the bed was an act that I had to mentally prepare for. Was utterly draining, but nothing compared to what you guys have gone through.

Oddly enough, sitting on the toilet made it worse, same with bending over whilst in the shower.

I haven't had it that badly since I stopped doing military presses with a barbell at the gym. Dumb fucking exercise.

Back is usually the body part that starts hurting, other being knees

Both parents have herniated disks

Btw most injuries in injury thread here that was like 5 pages long were from lifting now that i recall

Back