• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Slipped disk, sciatica nerve pinched

They have me on prednisone, oxycodone, and some nerve med. I still fell like I’m being kicked in the leg every time I move. It hell moving. I just went pee, I basically had to do a haka entire time due to the pain. Just had to run on pure adrenaline.
Man that's rough, be very careful with nerve meds, they can change your life.
I was left with nerve damage after my last episode about 4 years ago, in various places from head to toe, literally from head to toe. Fucked my life for a couple of years and I will never be the same again

I had a protruding disc. It hurt like hell. It was so painful to get out of bed and try to stand for about two weeks. I would walk around my house hunched over. By week four it was only a little pain depending if I twisted wrong. This would give me a sharp pain and my knees would buckle. I was good to go by 6 weeks to normal activities. I still get a slight pain every now and then years later. I've had friends who ruptured a disc and had to have surgery.

Good luck sounds like some horrible shit. The painkillers sound nice though.
Not really. All they do is make it go from feeling like I have a knife sticking out of my knee and hip, to feeling like I take hard leg kick every time I move.

You're a smart man.. I agree, but easy to see why people down in the dumps suffering don't always particularly care other than relieving the pain itself.. But really you could just be creating an entirely new and potentially even worse problem for yourself to have to tackle later on.
Those pills are dished out way too carelessly as well, it's easier for a GP to give you a script and send you on your way than actually help you resolve an issue.

I had a protruding disc. It hurt like hell. It was so painful to get out of bed and try to stand for about two weeks. I would walk around my house hunched over. By week four it was only a little pain depending if I twisted wrong. This would give me a sharp pain and my knees would buckle. I was good to go by 6 weeks to normal activities. I still get a slight pain every now and then years later. I've had friends who ruptured a disc and had to have surgery.
I’m really really hoping this is my recovery route.

I've been there and I feel for you bro!

What worked for me was Chiropractic care that included spinal decompression on a Vax-D decompression machine, electro stim, ultrasound massage, and adjustment.

That chiropractor retired and the care facility closed, but I found another competent Chiro with a different decompression machine and have enjoyed similar results which consist of usually pain free days and a hell of a lot better range of motion and ability to lead a normal life.

Look up chiropractic / physical therapy places that deal with your injury and find one with great feedback. I hope that you get straightened out. It may take weeks, months, or more. It took 4 months for me to be able to walk without the "stick up the ass" gate that I had post injury or to be able to lay down and sleep fairly comfortably.
I second this. The only problem is there are a lot of bad chiropractors out there. I had one make my neck injury even worse. Try acupuncture first.

yoga-for-sciatica-figure-4-pose.jpg

Fell down some stair initially, it hurt, but nothing crazy. Then work finished it off two weeks later. I’m a firefighter and we had a busy day, woke up the next morning and felt like I just got finished with a leg kicking contest against Ernesto Hoost.
damn man, that sounds brutal

I’ve had two really bad car accidents. Completely totaled and flipped over type of things. I have similar to what u described. I did a lot of PT and now I stretch for about 20 minutes a day and have for the past 12 years or so

Yeah, this is terrible. I love my job and really am worried what this could do to it. I really just want to heal right. 4 months would be terrible to miss, but some guys have missed more. Lol at me telling everyone I’ll be back in 2 weeks.
I'm just getting over a back injury it's been about 5 months and I started work last week but my back is only at about 80% .
I bought a inversion table to help and it has helped

I'm currently recovering from disk surgery. It's terrible man. Good luck. Besides the waiting so long to pull the trigger on surgery, I worked with some really competent and caring folks. Hopefully you're that lucky as well.

When I finally saw the surgeon he told me they often do the surgery he recommended four weeks after the onset of symptoms. That way the sufferer is able to get back to work and doesn't lose their job or anything. My doctor tried the wrong routes and waited almost a year before referring me to a surgeon. Keep that in mind.

Good luck.

Key factors in assisting in the pain and repair,

- Yoga
- Static stretching
- Localised epidural steroid injection
- Monitoring your own posture and correcting where possible
- Core, core and more core work exercises

Exp - L5 S1 bulge, compressing on sciatic nerve, pain from lower back passing through left glute and down to the knee. Pretty much 100% recovered.

It's a slow road and sometimes you won't see improvements for months on end but eventually the more you do the more you'll recover.

Surgery should be the very last resort.

Icy hot, anti inflammatory, ice, heat, stretches... Maybe some CBD lotion...

Yeah, this is terrible. I love my job and really am worried what this could do to it. I really just want to heal right. 4 months would be terrible to miss, but some guys have missed more. Lol at me telling everyone I’ll be back in 2 weeks.

I hear you my friend. It's gonna take whatever time it takes. Right now you're probably as tense as a banjo string and being in any position for too long invariably leads to excruciating pain when you go to move from that position.

My therapy had me feeling some relief in 3-4 weeks but it took a few months to get to any semblance of normalcy. Another shitty thing about the injury is the fact that you may one day re-aggravate it with a sneeze, by picking up a sock, or simply turning to walk into the kitchen.

I wish you the best, let us know how everything goes. Step one is getting hooked up with a good care provider that's worked on injuries like yours.

Back inversion tables
Yoga/Pilates
Sports physiotherapist or manipulative Physiotherapist depending on where you are in the recovery and pain management.
Some of the targeted stretching as shown

I tweaked mine playing a game of AFL footy in footy cleats on an early season pitch which had just finished the cricket season and the centre area was still rock hard. The jarring etc obviously inflamed it.

I went straight home after the game but the muscles cooled down and then nwent into spasm and locked me down. It took me nearly an hour to get out of my car with my flatmate helping. I was lucky as I had a good physio, and access to my flatmates inversion table, and i had only pinched a nerve. A week or so and I was back to work.

A ruptured disc would be brutal.

Surgery should be the very last resort.

This is just not the truth of it anymore. If it's a disk issue, herniation or what not, it's common for them to get on in there pretty quickly. I did physical therapy for almost a year and it wasn't working. The disk displacement was too much. Therapy was never going to be enough and after a certain point "permanent" nerve damage is a concern. Nerves don't regenerate too quickly.

TS do exactly what you're instructed to do but don't shy away from a surgical fix because of some muppets on a tae bo message board. I was in a good amount of pain for two days, had some opiates but just two days and then the wound was completely healed and near all of the surgical pain and stiffness was gone in two weeks. 6 more weeks of just walking to let the "back settle" and then physical therapy to strengthen core and train the muscles to avoid future reinjury. That's after letting it go for what, in the surgeon's opinion, was "way too long" too though. It's going to depend much on what your MRI looks like. Mine was a "monster herniation" according to the NP that did my first follow up surgical visit.

You got this man. It's common and perhaps will seem insurmountable but it's not. I feel amazing today compared to 10 weeks ago.

This is just not the truth of it anymore. If it's a disk issue, herniation or what not, it's common for them to get on in there pretty quickly. I did physical therapy for almost a year and it wasn't working. The disk displacement was too much. Therapy was never going to be enough and after a certain point "permanent" nerve damage is a concern. Nerves don't regenerate too quickly.

This is increasingly true. Back surgery and surgical technology has come a long way in the last 20 years.

The biggest two predictors of succesful back surgery outcomes are
1) compliance to rehabilitation and exercise; and
2) whether compensation and insurance are involved.

1. People are lazy, and simply do not do the hard, painful and time consuming work to rehabilitate their body.

2. If people perceive little incentive to get better, ie they get less money via insurance or a payout, or have a job they dont particularly want to return to, the less likely they are to show good outcomes from surgery. Unfortunately some people see cash signs without realising that this is the rest of their money often for the rest of their working life.

Back