slight delima....

AxeGrinder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
alright, well I fractured my thumb on my left hand in a boxing match last night...so its pretty much out of commision, but I still want to workout, and Im afraid if I lay low for 2-3 weeks I'll lose some of my strenth in both arms. would it be beneficial to work just my right arm?, like curls and grip exercises? since I wont be able to train with both arms, I still plan to practice my straight rights and right hooks in the meantime....

AxeGrinder said:
alright, well I fractured my thumb on my left hand in a boxing match last night...so its pretty much out of commision, but I still want to workout, and Im afraid if I lay low for 2-3 weeks I'll lose some of my strenth in both arms. would it be beneficial to work just my right arm?, like curls and grip exercises? since I wont be able to train with both arms, I still plan to practice my straight rights and right hooks in the meantime....
There's this awesome exercise for the right hand, but if I post a link, I'll get banned.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
There's this awesome exercise for the right hand, but if I post a link, I'll get banned.

You should really try to be ambidexerous. Otherwise you will have one forearm larger then the other, and no one wants that. Of course if you were a stud like me, that wouldn't be a problem. Two hands.

Evil Eye Gouger said:

haha, but you can only do that for so long....

just give yourself a break for 2-3 weeks, yes you'll get a little weaker but nothing that wont come right back quickly. Sometimes its better if you've been working out for a while to just give yourself a break anyway's for some recovery. Let it heal as working through it will just cause you more of a headache than its worth if you ask me...

AxeGrinder said:
haha, but you can only do that for so long....
That's why real fighters mix in some endurance training to go with their strength exercises.

do sprints and 'chute training. your legs/whole body will remain or get strong and you'll improve cardio.
there are plenty of diff kinds. use any sech engine.

I'd say have a week or two off (you apparently need a week off after a fight to remove toxins etc) and then start doing some heavy cardio work until your thump is better (if it is truely a fracture not a major sprain that your jumping to conclusions with). Do some sprints etc which work the fast twitch muscles

Ian1983 said:
I'd say have a week or two off (you apparently need a week off after a fight to remove toxins etc) and then start doing some heavy cardio work until your thump is better (if it is truely a fracture not a major sprain that your jumping to conclusions with). Do some sprints etc which work the fast twitch muscles

actually I went to the doctors 3 days ago, and its broken....he put a cast on me....

I hurt my thumb at one stage. To keep up some degree of upper body strength I went to a *cough* fitness studio for a few weeks. I could use their bench, row, shoulder press machines etc because I didn't need to close my thumb around the handles as much as with DB's and BB's (obviously no balance issues either). Got me through the three weeks it took to heal up and didn't have any real strength loss when I went back to my normal routine.

AxeGrinder said:
actually I went to the doctors 3 days ago, and its broken....he put a cast on me....

well thats your options limited.
Heavy cardio work in the mean time me thinks

Its a small bone, how long did he say the cast would be on for?

AxeGrinder said:

Check your PM box...

Ian1983 said:
well thats your options limited.
Heavy cardio work in the mean time me thinks

Its a small bone, how long did he say the cast would be on for?

yeah, Its been all roadwork and leg workouts now....anyway, its at the very bottom of the thumb, closest to the wrist, thats where its broke....

Back